Gibson Brands Forums

I'm picking up bass

nikko18

Been listening to a lot of my dad's music (he's a bassist) and a lot of red hot chili peppers lately. I have realised that I also really enjoy bass along with guitar! So I am being a bass for cheap off a friend and I'm going to start learning from my dad and teaching myself.

Soon I will be playing two instruments (not at once)!!! [confused]

Only thing I don't like is the bass I'm getting, it's kinda stupid but the price is right and I figure since it's actually kind of nice I can just trade it in for a bass I like after I am sure I am going to be playing bass. Or if I decide it's not my thing I can trade it for a guitar or amp!

Do any of you have tips for playing bass?

In a way you can make a case it's a different mind set, but a lot depends on how one has approached the guitar.

If you've done pretty much straight rhythm or rock/jazz lead, yeah, a different mind set.

If you've done stuff that had a heavy bass line, whether for folkie stuff or jazz, it's just concentrating more on getting the bass to "work" along those lines.

Some style of music/bands just want you to do really basic stuff, and that tends to be making the rhythm side of bass playing absolutely vital. If you're doing more of a counterpoint thing walking up and down, it's more guitar-like, but still requires an emphasis on timing along with the drummer...

Personally I think listening to the old stand-up swing bass players on youtube (check Milt Hinton, for example) is a good idea for giggles and good ideas.

m

I have a couple different takes on it. Read all of it, trust me.

1. Make playing bass easy, get the action as low as possible to fret board and play light on the strings. You will be able to play much faster if you play relaxed. It is a good habit to learn.

2. Don't have your bass hung too low if you are trying to play difficult parts keep it at comfortable height. If not, make sure its lower than your knees.:)

3. Practice picking with both your pointer and middle finger, some people just use one. That's a bad habit.

4. Don't put your thumb over the top of the fret board, place your hand on the neck as if you were playing a classical guitar. You thumb and your middle finger should line up.

5. Some songs are simple, some songs are busy for the bass.

-Play for what the song calls for

*If its a blues, be busy on the neck. If its a punk song, keep the bottom end thumpin'

-Less is more

*Don't play advanced parts all the time, find places in a song to add a cool run. You will find it sounds and sticks out better.

6. You and the drummer should be best friends. Get to know your drummer, to try "read" him. Learn his fills and anticipate his fills. Were ever the drums go in a song, you should too.

7. Keep and opened mind to bass players. Slap, Fusion, Jazz, Rock, Prog., ect. Learn it all.

Do these things and you will go far.

I picked up bass a little over a year ago, after 50 years of playing music. I don't know what took me so long, it's been nothing but enjoyable. Basshole gave some excellent advice, absolutely nothing I could add. The more you practice, the easier it gets; the easier it gets, the more fun it becomes. Instant rewards.

Have you asked your Dad for some help/lessons? Seems a great place to start if you guys work well together. Best of luck and have fun.

One more thing...Lose the picks [cool]

+1

Thanks for all the advice guys!

And I haven't asked my dad yet but I'm going to his house this weekend and I am sure he will be more then happy to help :)

I will also be able to play his really nice bass's (bases? basss? Bassi? How do you say multiple bass??) while I'm there!

I learned bass back in the 60's. While some played with fingers, most bass players I knew back then used picks. Bad habit, but I'm too old to change now.

When I started playing bass again after several years, I discovered that I used a different part of the fingers on my left hand, so I had to deal with that too.

Basshole is right.... become best friends with your drummer. I liked to stay back near the drummer except for the time I had to sing...made it easier to interact with him.

Good luck & have fun.

Go fretless.

You will not regret it.

I really like my dad's fretless bass' date=' they are a lot of fin to play. I want to do a lot of slapping though and fretless isn't the best for that. I should probably just have both though [lol

Archived