Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Explorer Pickups

crayag

Hmmm hadnt thought about that - where would the compartment go? can you recommend which way is best to go?

My local guitar shop use a guy who they say is an amazing guitar tech so i might take it to him to have a look at first.

Hmmm hadnt thought about that - where would the compartment go? can you recommend which way is best to go?

My local guitar shop use a guy who they say is an amazing guitar tech so i might take it to him to have a look at first.

If you do get a battery compartment, routing in the body will obviously be needed. It would go right along side the pot cavity.

When I do it, I'm going to just have the battery in the existing cavity. I don't want to part w/ my explorer for weeks while a local guy does this, so I'm going to install the PUPs myself and not have it routed.

I don't really know which way is better, per say. But I don't think there is any harm in not having a separate compartment. The ESP eclipses w/ EMGs don't have a battery compartment but the LTDs do.

Don't think i fancy having the body routed so will just see if they fit the cavity first and go from there. Will keep the Gibson pickups too.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Thinking about having the strap button relocated as well (dont mind it being on the back but i need to get straplocks and think they might get in the way) but i see there is another thread for that.

Don't think i fancy having the body routed so will just see if they fit the cavity first and go from there. Will keep the Gibson pickups too.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Thinking about having the strap button relocated as well (dont mind it being on the back but i need to get straplocks and think they might get in the way) but i see there is another thread for that.

I asked the same question a little while ago. I'm moving mine from the back to the side tomorrow. Gonna get a black set of Schallers and (reluctantly) drill a new whole.

On another note, 500th post. Time for cake.

Archived