Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page#2 VOS piccies and defensive comment

Ren

Hi Forum,

My JP#2 VOS arrived all the way from america to its new home in west sussex, uk yesterday. Serial numbewr JP#2 122. It's still getting used to the family. It's like when we first got our labrador - she just sat in the corner staring at us. This LP feels the same - an awesome presence in the room. I couldn't even play it last night - just had to sit and stare at it.

Anyway, some facts: weight 9lbs 3oz (quite heavy), finish is 'PageBurst', a beautiful sort of reddish honeyburst. I have an R9 VOS and this JP is substantially more VOSified, e.g. the bridge on the R9 looks fairly newish, but the JP one looks like it's lived in a smoke-filled brothel in Berlin for 40 years - cool! The flaming is subtle, reflecting Page's, though the maple cap on mine also carries a distinctive 'eye' in the top half (I'll always know which one's mine). Overall the guitar has a lovely 'antiquey' look to it that exudes quality.

The neck is wonderful, quite a bit slimmer than my 'clubby' R9 and a bit more like my 335 (and acoustic Martin D28), beautifully finished in the fretting. Action at 1st string, 12th fret is 1mm, on 6th string is 1.35mm, neck relief is around 3-4 thou - really quite flat. There's no buzzing - it's truely beautifully set up and feels better than any of the seven LPs I've owned. An unusual white nylon nut - all very cleany cut due to the PLEK'ing. Unusually the neck is almost black at turn where it meets the body (suppose this was a reflection of the neck modding that Jimmy Page had done?).

As to the weird sounds you can get from all the switch variations, it's too early for me to get my head round them, but some of the sounds did lead me off into random jams, which is always a good sign. I want to understand better technically what they do, so if anyone can point me to an article on the switching that'd be good.

Now I know that some folks will say "Look he's just spent nearly six grand (pounds) on a guitar, he's bound to say it's good", but in all honesty this is the best LP I've owned or played in terms of quality, finish and sounds out of the seven others I've owned (which includes LP Custom, 02 Standard, 08 Standards and my current (until the JP) R9 VOS).

DEFENSIVE BIT

While I was waiting for the guitar to arrive I was obviously avidly reading any posts relating to it, and I just couldn't believe how negative nearly all the posts were. Apparently I must be a collector who never plays the guitar, I've got more money than sense, I'm a sucker for the Gibson marketing, I'm just an overall idiot. Well don't call me defensive, but I would like to take the opportunity offered by the official Gibson forum for saying what a load of abolute b******s some peole talk and f**k off to all of you. I've worked really hard all my life, owned LPs since I was 19, been in love with JP since I was 14, I receive a moderate salary but save for things I want, I have a wife and two young children for which I am responsible. Music (beside my family) is the most important thing in my life. I'm not a collector but a player, and I'm not rich, but there is a definite road I've followed which has lead to me to this guitar in my search for the best quality from a Gibson (I've had a few that have had their problems).

Some will say I'm a sucker but I do believe in the Gibson dream - I always have since I first saw Page as a teenager and wanted a guitar like his and discovered the brand. OK we know about all the QC issues and all that, but when buying a Gibson, you're buying into a culture, a heritage, a tradition, a dream (like buying an Italian car - you expect bits to drop off, but they'll still great). If that's not for you, fine, go away but don't criticise me if buying Les Pauls and making music is the worst I do.#-o

After all these years, I seem to have found my dream. So any dissenters - go fry!

END OF DEFENSIVE BIT

OK, some piccies (happened to get some sunshine in England this February morning. Note the close up of the back of the headstock showing the original holes, unfilled, that would have held Klusons. Also, note the one of it next to my R9 VOS - makes it look really blingy!

Incase.jpg

headonbody.jpg

Headon3.jpg

Serialnumber.jpg

R9andJP2.jpg

Cheers and love and peace to all

:-({|=

First off, congratulations on your new Gibson guitar! I'm sorry for the negative comments you experienced on the forum. I like to see constructive and helpful comments, and I try to help people solve technical problems with their guitars. Unfortunately, I am a better guitar repair technician than a player but, I enjoy passing on repair tips when I can. I think it's great that you thought enough of American guitars and workmanship, that you were willing to spend your hard earned money on them. Gibson has been very good to me and I was priveledged to be on their 100th anniversary poster and in magazine ads.

I appreciate all the great music and artists that Britain has contributed to us as well. I also collect antique autos and I spent alot of money and 5 1/2 years of labor on my Jaguar XK 140 MC Roadster. People may think I am crazy too until I let them drive my car. Thanks to the Brits![cool] :)

Hi Forum' date='

DEFENSIVE BIT

While I was waiting for the guitar to arrive I was obviously avidly reading any posts relating to it, and I just couldn't believe how negative nearly all the posts were. Apparently I must be a collector who never plays the guitar, I've got more money than sense, I'm a sucker for the Gibson marketing, I'm just an overall idiot. Well don't call me defensive, but I would like to take the opportunity offered by the official Gibson forum for saying what a load of abolute b******s some peole talk and f**k off to all of you. I've worked really hard all my life, owned LPs since I was 19, been in love with JP since I was 14, I receive a moderate salary but save for things I want, I have a wife and two young children for which I am responsible. Music (beside my family) is the most important thing in my life. I'm not a collector but a player, and I'm not rich, but there is a definite road I've followed which has lead to me to this guitar in my search for the best quality from a Gibson (I've had a few that have had their problems).

Some will say I'm a sucker but I do believe in the Gibson dream - I always have since I first saw Page as a teenager and wanted a guitar like his and discovered the brand. OK we know about all the QC issues and all that, but when buying a Gibson, you're buying into a culture, a heritage, a tradition, a dream (like buying an Italian car - you expect bits to drop off, but they'll still great). If that's not for you, fine, go away but don't criticise me if buying Les Pauls and making music is the worst I do.:)

After all these years, I seem to have found my dream. So any dissenters - go fry!

END OF DEFENSIVE BIT

[/quote']

Don't even worry about it[cool]

I turn into a 10 year old when I walk into our local music store[biggrin] .... If it wasn't for my wife, I would be spending crazy money on instruments.

Enjoy your new axe and congrats..... There's always some that will be negative, but what can you do.

Looks great!

My main "issue" with the artist models is that you could probably achieve a guitar 95% like that at a far lower cost. I also on principal do not care for relicing. I want it to be from years of age and playing, not from something else. Kinda like pre-cut and stonewashed jeans. My jeans are faded and worn from USE, not by design.

But anyway, it does look like it's an awesome guitar. Enjoy it, and play the hell out of it. 9.3 lbs is pretty heavy, kinda like my Heritage H150CM that weighs almost 11 lbs. But man... the TONE i get out of it, well worth the WEIGHT hahaha

Dont mind the people who get mad because they cant afford it.

Awesome guitar but I'm sure you already knew that.

I bet she sounds purdy.

That's probably one of the most off-color remarks I've heard. Automatically assuming that all of the people who aren't fond of the marketting strategy are merely poor, and that having a good guitar is something of a privilege for the people with tons of disposable income? I'm sure glad that they were more affordable when people like Jimmy Page were buying them, or else maybe there wouldn't have ever been a Jimmy Page LP.

Congrats with a beautiful guitar. Don't mind the negative comments, there will always be some. You found your dream Les Paul, like i found my dream sg with my Angus sig aged and signed. I also had many negative comments , kinda understand people thinks its stupid with with the aged stuff, i thought so to before i saw the angus sig[biggrin] . But for me its cool to have a guitar that looks the same as one Angus sg's, and has his signature on the back of the headstock.

Congrats with a beautiful guitar. Don't mind the negative comments' date=' there will always be some. You found your dream Les Paul, like i found my dream sg with my Angus sig aged and signed. I also had many negative comments , kinda understand people thinks its stupid with with the aged stuff, i thought so to before i saw the angus sig[biggrin'] . But for me its cool to have a guitar that looks the same as one Angus sg's, and has his signature on the back of the headstock.
Angus has had a ton of SGs over the year. Why should having his signature on it matter? Sorry but I don't understand the hero worship that surrounds signature models. I'd much spend that sum to get a custom-made instrument the way that I want it, not how someone else wants it.

Angus has had a ton of SGs over the year. Why should having his signature on it matter? Sorry but I don't understand the hero worship that surrounds signature models. I'd much spend that sum to get a custom-made instrument the way that I want it' date=' not how someone else wants it.

[/quote']

[cool] I know you don't understand it , and i respect that.

... by the way, I didn't make it clear - it wasn't on this forum I read all the crap. It was on sites of guitar dealers advertising the guitar where they have kind of forum things for people to leave comments. Most of the folks here are far more discerning - thankfully.

On the signature thing, you know what? 6 months ago I used to go around saying I'd never own a signature guitar - it's sad - I wanna make my own history. Unfortunately, call me a hypocrite, but all that went straight out the window when they released the JP2 VOS (I actually had a picture of this guitar in my lavatory/toilet/bathroom that I gaze at - how could I resist? However, I wouldn't have wanted the 'aged' version as, for me, that's going too far - I want to put my own dings in it, but teh gentle ageing of teh VOS is superb, and just makes it feel really special.

I've now formally changed my stance on sig guitars to: I don't like sig guitars that are covered in garish paint-jobs and have the artist's name emblazoned all over it. The JP2 is really subtle for a sig (well at least my unsigned VOS one is), even the two switches under the scratchplate are tucked away and virtually invisible when off.

Cheers

[cool] I know you don't understand it ' date=' and i respect that. [/quote'] well, what can I say. I also don't feel the need to spend $100+ to see the rolling stones for the 10th time, but one of my friends does. I just don't fall into that kind of mentality. I know some people who were dying to get a guitar that was a recreation of clapton's guitar... and they completely missed the concept of how blackie was originally made. Clapton put together pieces of various strats into a guitar that was best for HIM. If it's best for him, how does one know it'll be best for them as well?

That's probably one of the most off-color remarks I've heard. Automatically assuming that all of the people who aren't fond of the marketting strategy are merely poor' date='

[/quote']

no no no, I didnt mean for that to be taken wrongly. I shoud've worded it better I know. I have nothing against those who are poor (I'm not rolling in $ either) but I do notice some people resent those who have what they cant is all.

Sorry I know I could've worded that better.

I wasnt talking about those who have an issue with the marketing strategy either, I believe there is some reason for their being angry over it.

Sorry

On the signature thing' date=' you know what? 6 months ago I used to go around saying I'd never own a signature guitar - it's sad - I wanna make my own history. Unfortunately, call me a hypocrite, but all that went straight out the window when they released the JP2 VOS (I actually had a picture of this guitar in my lavatory/toilet/bathroom that I gaze at - how could I resist? However, I wouldn't have wanted the 'aged' version as, for me, that's going too far - I want to put my own dings in it, but teh gentle ageing of teh VOS is superb, and just makes it feel really special. [/quote'] well, that is true. I could end up eating my words. I do like some signature models, but mainly the ones that aren't just a juiced up les paul, sg, etc, like the Johhny A signature, or that special Keifer Sutherland guitar, that was quite similar to the ES 339 or CS 336 (or whatever it's called).

Ren,

A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!!! What a beautiful LP. [cool] [cool] [biggrin].

I have been through many guitars, just lusting for the right one...recently I just purchased my first LP (very very nice), and today I ordered a new ES-335 Gloss Plain Top in Cherry, IMO even nicer and not a cheap pricetag by any means.

But I always take care of my family first, I'm 50 , worked hard all my life, and like you , I save for what I want. Chuck Berry is to me what Jimmie is to you.

I'm happy for you!! Enjoy your new JP2.

Peace.

Dont mind the people who get mad because they cant afford it.

Awesome guitar but I'm sure you already knew that.

I bet she sounds purdy.

Your brilliant on deduction on why some people get mad sure makes you look

like an ***.

Beautiful guitar Ren congrats.

CW

Congratulations! That is a stunningly beautiful guitar.

Nothing against the R9, but in the picture of it standing next to your "new acquisition", it almost looks like an Epiphone...[cool]

Like you I have never been a fan of signature models, but if there was ever one that could change my mind, that JP #2 of yours is it. Please keep us posted about the various sounds you're able to achieve with the modified electronics!

DEFENSIVE BIT

I'm not sure if you were referring to my thread when you mentioned people slamming this model, but if you were, I'd just like to say that I have never had anything against this guitar or the people who want to own one. Furthermore I certainly don't think you have any reason to justify yourself for buying it or being able to buy it.

Great choice, enjoy it!

[cool]

Well Ren, you sure made your point here ! [angry]

You know, most people are like that : «it's new, and I don't have it... let's pretend it's crap».

I bought a 2008 Standard chambered LP and if I would believe all the negative things I heard about it, I would think it's really bad. The fact : it's just totally awesome !

Don't mind these idiots. [thumbup]

I look at things this way...it's your money , your preferences that really matter. It's you that has to come home and look and touch the guitar so who am I to judge a person by that. You should never really care what people think anyways !!! Yes reviews are good but it's the other person's perspective on the product.

Oh btw there is a recall on your ne guitar...please await further instructions on where to send it....note to self...gotta send my address lmao

GREAT GUITAR AND I HOPE YOU PLAY IT THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED [thumbup]

p.s how much were your customs import charges? i had to pay £226 before they would deliver my gary moore signature (from florida) [thumbup]

I don't know. But the retail of the JP2 in the UK is £5,699. The price is the same which ever dealer you look at so obviously the price is being well controlled by Gibson - which is fair enough.

enjoy man' date=' can't wait to get mine, serial number 60. I don't care if people have negative comments on my gear, unless they buy it for me![/quote']

Cool serial number man. Look forward to seeing it and hearing what you think. When's it coming?

Archived