Gibson Brands Forums

Better guitarist

GuitarGod319

I'll do what I do best and say that Billy Gibbons should be on there. In an interview, hendrix once said that Gibbons (who he had played with a few times) was his favorite guitarist at the time.

Billy G. doesn't get enough credit. Havn't decided who I will vote for yet.

There was a video compliation done about a year or more ago that had many pro guitarists comment on who they thought was the all-time best guitarist was. If I remember players from Clapton to Page, to Burton to some of the top Studio guitarists all picked Hendrix. And many commented on how he probably would have developed even more, had he lived. Maybe it's on You Tube somewhere. But I thought it was a from the heart sort of commentary presentation.

I don't want to step on any proverbial toes, but does Slash deserve to be even mentioned on that list? Okay, he plays our favorite instrument, and maybe I'm brain dead , but he just sounds drunk and sloppy to me. Not that drunk and sloppy is a bad thing (i.e. Jimmy Page "The Song Remains the Same"), but it's such a subjective issue. One of Robert Johnson's notes tells me a whole story, while Slash (I can't believe I'm giving this poser so much ink) says nothing with a bunch of notes. Same goes for Vai and Satriani. Virtuosos, to say the least; but how do you feel after being bombarded with all those speed runs?

One of Robert Johnson's notes tells me a whole story

BB King is this way. I've seen him in concert several times, and one pick of the string he takes you down the blues road with a reality of the feeling he is expressing.

I don't want to step on any proverbial toes' date=' but does Slash deserve to be even mentioned on that list? Okay, he plays our favorite instrument, and maybe I'm brain dead , but he just sounds drunk and sloppy to me. Not that drunk and sloppy is a bad thing (i.e. Jimmy Page "The Song Remains the Same"), but it's such a subjective issue. One of Robert Johnson's notes tells me a whole story, while Slash (I can't believe I'm giving this poser so much ink) says nothing with a bunch of notes. Same goes for Vai and Satriani. Virtuosos, to say the least; but how do you feel after being bombarded with all those speed runs? [/quote']

..........Whether you like him or not Slash is sure as hell not a poser. If your saying what I think your saying then your saying it's not about talent, it's about innovation.

Jimi Hendrix, innovated rock.

But I think that Slash and EVH are both better that him. (at playing, not writing.)

This poll is called "Better Guitarist"

And since when did speed runs become a bad thing, if they are good, which his are. You cant say that the solo from Sweet Child O' Mine is a bunch of notes.

P.S. you stepped on my proverbial toes!!!

Jimmy Page has been good as what he does since he picked up a guitar. Listen to the Yardbirds for great early blues. And if you say the Yardbirds are bad, how do you explain Clapton, Beck & Page. Page kept it up with Led Zeppelin with some of the greatest rock music of all time and spawning the birth of hard rock. EVH took tapping from Page, don't believe me then you don't listen to enough of Zeppelin. Don't get me wrong all the players on the list deserve props but in my opinion Page comes out on top.

What a ridiculous question!](*' date=') Of course the answer is a tie between Warren Haynes and Mike McCready!O:) [/quote']

Anyone ever watch Arlen Roth play? Wow! Yet another player you could throw into the mix if we were expanding this list... And then that Makes me think of Danny Gatton, and so on...

Yeah, we can bring in a BUNCH of other candidates, but he did just ask us to Choose among THESE choices...

Page is... well in my opinion is the best guitarist (out of the ones givin) but come on guys, we could fight till the world ended about who's the best guitarist, but the truth is..... well no single person is the best guitarist ever. we might have our personal favorites but lets face it.no one's favorite is the best.

Archived