Gibson Brands Forums

I hate how

DAS44

When I look at demo's I really look for cleans to get a better idea of the guitar/amp's sound. It could just be me but it seems that 90% of youtube guitar demo's are all distortion. It gets really irritating as there arent many guitar shops round here for me to go try them out and thats not even including the fact that neither of my parents want to drive so far.

Is it just me who gets irritated with that?

Jus wonderin.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I suppose it's largely due to the taste of the player; they think something sounds good so that's the way they play it. OTOH, the speakers on many computers don't lend themselves to very efficient sound tests anyway.

So, Dom, what's your favorite clean amp at this point?

Yeah' date=' I don't get that either. I suppose it's largely due to the taste of the player; they think something sounds good so that's the way they play it. OTOH, the speakers on many computers don't lend themselves to very efficient sound tests anyway.

So, Dom, what's your favorite clean amp at this point?[/quote']

+1, them videos i uploaded to youtube don't sound anything like the sound i had in the room while playing but what can you do? even buying quality headphones/speakers for the pc won't help much as the sound gets degraded with all the video decoding/transfering... "compressed" is the word and depending on what you record it on, be it a video cam or mobile phone. when i listen to a video demo i take is as a "rough" guide as to how it will sound and THEN consider auditioning it, but as das44 said it's not always easy to demo these products in person...[thumbup]

This thread actually makes me wonder why some people really care what brand / quality guitars they own other than on a playability basis since it seems they mess so much with the sound with various electronic gizmos.

But then... I've got one of those gizmos too, although it's mostly to thicken the sound rather than entirely distort it.

I dunno. To me a guitar-amp demo should be clean at the beginning. Then you can mess with sound to get whatever you want for whatever reason you want it.

m

When I look at demo's I really look for cleans to get a better idea of the guitar/amp's sound. It could just be me but it seems that 90% of youtube guitar demo's are all distortion. It gets really irritating as there arent many guitar shops round here for me to go try them out and thats not even including the fact that neither of my parents want to drive so far.

Is it just me who gets irritated with that?

Jus wonderin.

i bought one of these today' date=' not a bad demo either...

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA[/YOUTUBE]

I need to try to convince me dad to drive me to GC to test some out first. That takes some coaxing.

I'm thinking Fender right now.

If you can, check out a Vox ac30. They have amazing cleans.

If you try one, try turning the top-boost channel volume to about 4 o'clock and turn the master volume all the way up. It will give you a big, full clean sound.

Like any amp, to really get the most out of it you kinda have to know how to work the knobs.

Hey Duane V' date=' that was tasty! Clean Stairway is cool. I Been looking at those Vox AC50, can't believe how much less they cost than the AC30.[/quote']

thanks

I'm pretty shocked as well because I got mine used for $400, and my daughters new for $540 out the door. But the celestion 30's weren't cheap, and the amp really needs those speakers IMO

Very cool Duane! Every time I put something on youtube and listen to it, my first reaction is "that doesn't sound anything like it does on my computer!" The compression they use doesn't seem to preserve the high and low end frequencies well. Seems like it all gets squashed into the middle. I'd love to find out what algorithm they are using...

thanks

I'm pretty shocked as well because I got mine used for $400' date=' and my daughters new for $540 out the door. But the celestion 30's weren't cheap, and the amp really needs those speakers IMO[/quote']

So that's the weak link in the chain. Speakers make a bigger difference than a lot of people give credit.

Very cool Duane! Every time I put something on youtube and listen to it' date=' my first reaction is "that doesn't sound anything like it does on my computer!" The compression they use doesn't seem to preserve the high and low end frequencies well. Seems like it all gets squashed into the middle. I'd love to find out what algorithm they are using... [/quote']

If I put something on youtube I mix for it, I'll usually mix it on the hot-side so that it has some punch once youtube gets a hold of it. I've also notice wav files seem to maintain there crispness over mp3's.

So that's the weak link in the chain. Speakers make a bigger difference than a lot of people give credit.

For me they do..... The reason I notice is because I record a bit.

But for live purposes, you could easily live with the speakers they come with.

Great demo Duane, very classy and clean.

On the speaker subject.

They do, not only the specs and rating but the speaker voicing itself...and then the cab.

I have 3 heads and 3 cabs and they all sound different in every combination.

The speakers are Celestion, Eminence and Weber. To me Celestions are just a notch above, but personal preference plays a part just like in everything tone.

Archived