Gibson Brands Forums

Tubes.......

Murph

I learned a lot from this thread.

I've heard that my Vox comes with crappy Chinese tubes. I think it sounds really good but everyone says it sounds way better with better quality tubes.

So since I'm inexperienced and I can't experiment with different tubes, what would you guys recommend I put in there?

I'm not gonna do it for a while but I'd appreciate any help.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience has been great with the JJ's, although someone here was quoted as saying they are ECC83, , mine are an upgraded version which is really a High Gain, Balanced set and called ECC803S, a hotter version. I have them in an ENGL, and they are superb, I've had them since 2003 I think. The RCA 7025, which obviously are not available although you can find them at an outragous price on eBay, are excellent. I have them in a 74 Marshall MKII 50w. I have the original Mullards from that amp as well but only use them in the studio. My experience for what it's worth although I have been using tube amps since 1972 so I do have a few years. The Ei tubes are also nice but not as hot as the JJ's and they are marketed as Ei Elites 12AX7EG (Elite Gold) I was fortunate to get a set of three that are really very good and says Made in Yugoslavia. The new Mesa/Baron tube, theSPAX7/12AX7/EC83 is more than likely a Russian tube but because it has a rubber coating in the top 1/3 of the tube which they say creates a dampened sound (less noise), not sure about that but I have to put them in the ENGL to try them. The best tubes I have personally used are the Mullards, hands down although the JJ's are all of an excellent tube at least the ones I have had for 6 or 7 years now, the ECC803S, smoking tube!! For the guy who wanted to try JJ's, I say if you have the extra bucks, go for it, you will only learn more in terms of capturing your sound that you are going after. The worst case is that if you don't like them, you have still have a back up set and you should always carry a few and then some when you play live, don't leave home without them..........

Thinking on upgrading My marshall 401 dsl with new tubes. My local dealer has jj tubes. He said it was the preamp tubes(ECC83) i should put my money ' date=' not the drive tubes(EL 84) .Is that true?[/quote']

There's more gain in the preamp stage than the drive side so it makes sense to put your money there. I remember seeing someplace that about 80% of what's considered "tube sound" comes from the preamp side. I have gold pin JJ's in the preamp on my Blues Junior and regulars on the drive. Subjectively they sound better but that may simply be perception since I spent money to make it sound better. I don't have the proper test equipment to see if there's really an improvement.

First this post is about tubes. I'm talking about tube manufacturing nothing else.

US tube manufacturing did not move to China they shut down due to high cost

associated with The EPA and Taxes. So the only place left to get tubes are the

few plants left that L5 mentioned. Hence the poor quality. Oh one last thing

the US Gov and the EPA have nothing to do with the poor tube quality of the

Chinese manufacturing. They did make it so we have to get the tubes there

because no one else makes tubes. That has been my point all along.

You are missing the point. Regardless of EPA regulations and taxes (which did not force tube manufacturers in the States to shut down), it is cost prohibitive to build almost any consumer good in the States because of labor costs. In wild west countries like China they can pay their workers $1 a day to work 14hr/6day weeks. What modern nation can compete with that?!!!!!!! The global economy is a race to the bottom with those at the top not giving a **** because they can rake in insane profits.

You are missing the point. Regardless of EPA regulations and taxes (which did not force tube manufacturers in the States to shut down)' date=' it is cost prohibitive to build almost any consumer good in the States because of labor costs. In wild west countries like China they can pay their workers $1 a day to work 14hr/6day weeks. What modern nation can compete with that?!!!!!!! The global economy is a race to the bottom with those at the top not giving a **** because they can rake in insane profits.[/quote']

Ya your right as usual. LOL I guess the people I talked too (2 of the largest tube

distributors in the US) were wrong. Could I please have the numbers to the people

you talked to so I can get the right info. IF you want the numbers of the people I talked

too I'll be happy to give them to you.

CW

Archived