Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard on or off???

LPguitarman

As it comes out of the case. As a general rule, I try and avoid making any changes to my guitars unless they are broken. I try and leave them in their original state, if possible -#-o with the exception of strings of course.

So...if it comes with the pick-guard it stays with the pick guard. I have never replaced pickup, tuners, etc,

I know everyone is different, its just my approach. When I have made a change, I usually regret it 12 month later.

I think I am a neo-con when it comes to guitars and change! I think I basically love things in their original state, regardless of how imperfect that may be. [crying]

OFF OFF OFF on a Les Paul!!!!

And preferably never installed so you don't have two ugly screw holes.

Someone posted a link on here to a screwless LP pickguard which was great, but they only make them for standards at present.

In this case I think Mr. Robot hit it well - if it's original, leave it that way.

I've never really understood the "feel" of a LP, but it looks to me that the pick guard would offer pretty much the same right hand "feel" of an ES were I to start playing one - and that would mitigate in favor of retaining it. I do know some LPs apparently come without.

But then, I don't see the pick guard on an electric quite the same as on an acoustic. On the acoustic it's there to keep you from wearing your flatpick through the wood. On the electric it's always seemed to me to be there more as a reference of string height whether you're a "rest your finger on the pick guard" player or not. Given the arched top of the LP, it seems it was put there for the same reason.

In fact, were I to be given an acoustic archtop without a pick guard, first thing I'd do is get a pick guard with the built in floating pickup and electronics...

m

Jeebus Kwist' date=' I can't believe someone took this seriously... [crying'] :-

GUILTY[blush] I was the first reply post. I knew it was a joke during the 2010 forum crash. That's why I answered in all CAPS and put a smiley face after it.

Just havin's some fun. I know it's been beat to death...

On.

Out of curiosity I tried removing them after reading previous posts on this subject but found the instruments less comfortable to play as I use the 'guard as a rest for my picking fingers with certain playing styles.

In fact one of the things I dislike about about my 1960 Classic is the '1960' script embossed into the 'guard - not because of the looks but because the roughness of the script is rather annoying on the fingertips.

I've recently acquired another 1960 Classic which has had it's 'guard swapped for a plain one and I suspect that I'll do the same to the first one.

Archived