Gibson Brands Forums

Ok what's up with the BFG, and why do I want one?

LPDEN

So I've seen them now in a variety of colors and even in a burst. I've seen the picture where the guitar-playing X-ray technician X-rayed their own BFG to prove it's hollowness. And I've been in the camp that says it's hideous, but now I am in the camp that thinks is actually pretty cool. I'm typically a Vintage purist/tradionalist in my guitar tastes, but there's something about a BFG...[-(

So, who owns one, owned one, or wants to own - and why did you buy, or sell it, or want to buy it now? eusa_eh.gif

I would never put down someones taste in guitars ( Is my halo on straight? )

Some guys in here have them and love them.

I cant get my big Irish head around that "Whittled" look....like someone carved it on the back

porch.

Ive heard them. they sound great, very powerful low ball growl.

Not my cuppa...

I cant get my big Irish head around that "Whittled" look....like someone carved it on the back

porch....

Ah' date=' Irish ye say me lad! [i']Irish spoken here[/i]! County Cork - Skibereen. aka "The Bottle Stoppers"!

Yes, I can go alone with the Whittled as a descriptive on this one.

I got mine because it special and finished and a bfg and they only made 400 of them and because their isn't another paul with a p-90 and a humbucker out and I had heard the burstbuckerIII is the bomb and I think gibson hasn't put the burstbuckerIII in any production model yet, that I know of.

Well personally my brain's all crosswired' date=' If your talk-in my bfg, what-cha mean[/quote']

2 vols & 1 tone in a triple, and a kill switch? I heard there were either early variations or maybe some mods people did...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....it's a great guitar. It just has that feel ya know. When you pick it up you know somethings going to happen. I brought mine into work last week(rather than leave it in the hot car) and people were looking at it like it was the coolest thing ever. "wow, is that your vintage Les Paul?" Nope, it's brand new. I let my boss play it and he was in awe. It looks cooler than you think and it plays and sounds like you wouldn't believe. The BB3 is KILLER, has that PAF attack with a little more output and the P-90 is soooo smooth (except for hum). I personally love the kill switch. I've played my epi standard for a long time and usually used the pickup selector as a kill switch. Go play one and you'll know if it's for you or not LPDEN. By the way, I'm loving your new custom! :D

........or maybe it's a Chicago thing......go Sox!

I actually saw a guy from an area band last Saturday gigging with a BFG. It sounded great. He was going through a set of Laneys.... Though I couldn't see what his peddle board set-up was, but he was wearing a Fulltone shirt, so that may have been a clue...

Not too many people have a bad word for that BB3 either....

000_3725.jpg Just the way I got it. I have never heard of anyone modifying them like that. But the burstbuckerIII is thing on this on this one. It love's the overdrive, the more the better with this pickup especially thru tubes. The burstbucker is the closest sound I have ever heard on anything or in anything in my life to my oldman's original 1959 les paul that was always heard around my house while I was growing up. Even thou it's beat to **** and I haven't seen or heard it in a couple of years. I'm telling-ya the burstbuckerIII is one. The neck is o.k. by my standards, just o.k. I personally love-em fatter and flatter and I wish this thing was solid and heavier. Of course their is also the bbIII with the p-90 thing that not only is their no other like but it sounds real good blended just right. Go out and buy one BurstbuckerIII pickup and put it in something or just go out and play one at a store, its better to get the pickup and blast-it thru your equipment to really experience the experience. P.S I don't know if you seen the nitro problems I have with this one, but It sounds so good, I don't care, I won't let it go and will not send it back. Crazy-ha. My old man he's 71 now after listening to this one, smacked me upside the head and said this one sounds soo good in 10 years there wont even be paint on the back of the neck from play-in it soo much, so don't worry about-it.

Archived