Gibson Brands Forums

pick ups of choice

leedoug

Lately I find myself only play-in all my gibby's or gibby copies that have emg's. My explorer and a les paul with the emg's not only sound better too my ears now but they make the hole axe vibrate and I cant wait to install the 20db boost for-em. That and my studio with the bustbuckerIII and we will not talk about my emg-sa set. I did have a dimarzio dp151 in a old heavy paul that sound great

Well , I love the 57 classic in my elegant..but the BurstBucker Pro's are so sweet...I'm gonna buy a Standard as soon as I find that special one..I have an SG with 490-498's and its a AC/DC Screaming Dog..I guess it depends on the tunes you plan on playing though..

i would like to know what everyone thinks would be the best pick ups to put in a les paul standard' date=' other than the originals

at the moment i have a seymore duncan jeff beck in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.[/quote']

That's the perfect combo for me. Burstbucker Pros are really good as well.

As you are in the UK, why not give Bare Knuckles a try? I'm very curious about them and am about ready to take the plunge on a set of Rebel Yells.

at the moment i have a seymore duncan jeff beck in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.

.....that's a pretty common PUP combo you've got there.

My local dealer is an authorised Semour Duncan stockist, and he keeps that set in stock just for Les Pauls.....

......you've not been through York with your axe have you...? :-#

Nice Tobacco Burst BTW. I tossed a coin between the TB and the Vintage Burst.

VB won (see avatar).

I found the BBPros gave me the tone I wanted. If I were to go get another LP (I would not change out my existing)

I think I'd look at the 490's first.

If you are seriously looking, never miss a chance to go play and see for yourself [-X

Hi,

My take on this subject is stay original. I have a Les Paul because I LOVE the LP sound (burstbuckers in one and 57's in the other) I have a Strat because I like the "Strat" tone( one with original Texas specials-1 with Lace sensors and 1 with original "noiseless"). I have an older original USA Krammer because I like the 80's rock tone of that guitar (original pups)

With that being said I do have my custom built that I love to experiment with different pups. And until I find that "perfect" tone I will keep trying!! so far Seymores are the choice, SH4 bridge and Jazz in neck.

If you spent 1000's of $ for a Les Paul why would you want to change the tone?? if you don't like it why would you buy it?

Just my opinion!!!

-Rj

File?id=dd32pwsd_9djnw7rf3_b

Here is the Gibson chart on the Pups.

I was surprised to see how hot the 498s are.

And how low the BBs are.

That's an interesting chart. I like 57s and BBs best and don't like the 490s at all - muddy.

BUT, having said that I wonder how different pickups interact with different amp electronics. Tube amps use different style power tubes for instance - Mesa is different than Budda than Fender, etc. I believe my Mesa is more friendly toward the 490 PUs and will try to qualify that this weekend.

I know the amp settings change quite a bit, to get a similar sound, when I switch guitars with different PUs, and play on the same amp. The Pagebuckers on my JP custom are so different than The BBs on my 2007 standard. And of course tapping the coils or changing the phase is another story.

What do you guys think?

when im playing amps @ GC i bring my les paul so i can see what it sounds like with MY gear

the way my guitar is, the marshall vintage modern sounds bad-***, but wth the same EQ the jvm-410 dosent sound good, where as , when i play a stock les paul off the wall, the vintage modern is too saturated, and the jvm 410 sounds better

i guess the moral of the story is perfect tone well never be found, except for jimmy page on the BBC sessions, and the first van halen album

Archived