Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Hero game for acoustic??

Space Pup

After spending the past weekend being humiliated by my 15 year old nephew and his new (*&%$#@*) Guitar Hero game. Not to mention suffering numerous taunts of "Gee Uncle Jack, I thought you knew how to play guitar!" and "Man do you stink!" I figured it was time for my nephew to get a good old fasion reality check so last night he came over and I plug in my V and SG. I crank up the distortion and teach him a few riffs and things. He is quick admit that this is nothing like the game. "It's a lot harder." After about 45 minutes his fingers are sore and I tell him he's now warmed up enough and ready for the hard stuff, his jaw drops. I get out my acoustics and ask if he's ready for round two.

He scoffs, "How can playing an acoustic be harder than playing an electric?"

"Distortion can cover a lot of mistakes on an electric. You don't get that advantage on an acoustic so you got to play clean" I said.

After about another 20 minutes, with his fingers now numb he admits defeat and I reclaim my place as the best (and only real) guitarist in the family. I told him that if he ever exprersses an interest in playing guitar, I'd be more than happy to help him out.

Now I can't help but wonder If they will ever come out with a Guitar Hero for acoustic guitar that could actualy teach people to play???

Thanks, she is a custom shop model. they made 50 of them in 2003. The nut width is the Gibson standard of 1.725" which makes it a pretty sweet strummer too.

I think my avitar has been distoted due to the size limits. I think the picture has more pixels are than the avitar allows so it's been resized. Sometimes you need to refresh the page in order to get them to show up.

man, that sounds like a heckuva find! i'd love to take that for a spin. don't know that i've ever played a guitar crafted with walnut. very curious about the tone. i'm head over heels for my 12 fret roy smeck. i've gotten to where i enjoy the 2" nut for finger style. took a little getting used to, but i'm there. my set up guy has it playing like buttah. i've been eyeing a 12 fret epi with cedar top that appears to be a nice little guitar at the right price. think i'm headed off on a 12 fret jag!

cheers!

yeah, I definetly got lucky on that find. I actualy got her at the first Gibosn Homcoming. So far I've been offered over twice what I paid for her but I just can't let her go. She just might be the best guitar I've ever owned.

Last year they had a Roy Smek model and it was an amazing guitar. I've seen the ads for the 12-Fret Epi but have not gotten a chance to try one out.

I too have a thing for the 12-frets. I've tried ones made by other companies and there is just somthing about the tone from a 12-fret thats like nothing else. I wish Gibson would make more 12-fret models. My dream would be to get a 12-string, 12-fret, J-45.

Great story, Space Pup! My nephew is 15 and is infatuated with Guitar Hero. His mom asked me where she might get a good deal on a real guitar and I asked her if Ant thought GH was going to help him play real guitar and she said yeah, and of course, he denied it. So, I took my guitar over and tried to teach him some chords and such and he was super disappointed - super quick. Too bad, but he wasn't sad for long. GH cheered him up and a few minutes later he was asking for a 4 wheeler.

I think if I were a kid with no experience with a real guitar this game could give me a false sense of "Damn, I'm a great guitar player!" because if you don't hit the buttons just so, it makes no sound! Kudos to the creator but I hope kids won't stop playing real instruments just because of this kind of thing. And, if they can make a game like that, they can make something equally as fun while really learning something. Anyway ...

Archived