Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pearsonrj

Introducing my first Les Paul - a new Traditional Pro...

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Traditional Pro in Vintage Sunburst from Musician's Friend and took advantage of their President's Day sale. It arrived yesterday, and I duly let it stay in it's case for 12 hours to come up to room temperature (it had been on a UPS truck all day at about 55 degrees). Made in October 2009, so it had been sitting in their warehouse for a while. After tuning it, the intonation seems good and there does not appear to be any consistent fret buzz anywhere. Looks like I got one that was plek'ed and setup well. I'll see how she settled in.

Here are some pictures:

In it's case:

IMG_3098.jpg

On a stand:

IMG_3099.jpg

Close-up of the body:

IMG_3100.jpg

I did notice some slight imperfections in the wood near the volume and tone pots. Also both volume pots are scratched on the very top center, under the clear plastic. I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive after reading so much about Gibson quality control, but I think I'll contact MF about the pots and see if I can get replacements:

IMG_3102.jpg

Finally, a picture of my electric guitar collection. I think I'm done for a few years now - one of each of the major iconic electric guitars is as much as I can afford and justify with my playing skills. In the picture are a 60th Anniversary American Standard Strat in 3-tone Sunburst and a 1952 reissue Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde, being joined by my new Les Paul:

IMG_3104.jpg

I look forward to participating more on this forum as a new owner.

Welcome to the forums. Nice guitar family, especially the new LP. Imperfections in the wood grain are nothing to complain about, they give the guitar more character. You can always get replacement knobs for those minor scratches. don't think you want to replace the hole pot.

Congratulations, new guitar days are the greatest.

I talked to Musician's Friend about the volume knobs and they are sending me out a new 4-pack of them - thank you MF. However, from reading comments on their website it looks like the knobs are not terribly well made and are a very tight fit - I wonder if I will be able to find 2 out of the 4 that look better than what I've got...

I talked to Musician's Friend about the volume knobs and they are sending me out a new 4-pack of them - thank you MF. However' date=' from reading comments on their website it looks like the knobs are not terribly well made and are a very tight fit - I wonder if I will be able to find 2 out of the 4 that look better than what I've got...[/quote']

You can make them fit better by squeezing the split shaft closer together a tad more. Use a plier and be careful not to slip!

BTW Congrats, I've got the same LP and I love it!

Congrats on the new Trad Pro. I've had mine now for about 4 weeks.Also from MF. Did you get a warranty card to send in with yours? How about a truss rod tool? I got niether with mine. I emailed Gibson cust service and they said they would send one, but that was 2 weeks ago. I have some serious buzzing on mine. I'm going to have an authorized dealer check it out.

I also have an American Tele. I sold my '79 Stratocaster in order to buy the LP. Rock on man!

Congrats on that sweet looking Axe. Great family you have now. ecjonny, 100% , you should have got the warranty card. Call them. Also, Gibson told you they would send you a truss rod ajustment tool? I called at the end of last year about the same problem with 2 CS guitars(R0,R9), and i was told that Gibson stopped giving them becuase they were having to reajust to many guitars that new owner had messed up. And The other case candy is not being given as a cost cutting measure. If you get them please post an update as I would like to get the ones that should have come with my guitars. Thanks

Wow!!! You don't play around when it comes to guitars! Nice Strat! And a '52 AVRI Tele?? SWEET! Congrats on the new Les Paul! It looks beautiful! I hope you're able to enjoy it for many years to come!