Gibson Brands Forums

trading 2 lps for 1

turtle

hey guys what do you think. im thinking of trading my 2 lps standards for a vos g0 1960 plain top lp. its goin for 2599 at guitar center. plays great sounds great dont know why someone would have traded it. my standards are pretty mint. they are only giving about 1300 per guitar so it works out pretty even. the new g0 goes for 3599. does anyone think im crazy or am i making a wise choice. both my standards are an 06 and 07. great sounding guitars. i played about 50 before picking them. but there is something about a vos that does it for me. help im going nuts trying to decide

absolutely not. i would sell the standards separately. a G0 can be had used for $1800-2000 if you are patient. used standards can get 1500-1800 depending on condition, top, etc. sell one standard, pony up the extra cash for a used G0 and youre set. watch ebay and marks guitar loft.

Jeez, I dunno.

First, I abso-fxcking-lutely HATE Guitar Center, got 20 years worth of stories from them. Check my signature.

Personally, I don't like the VOS finishes and the bullsh!t Gibson is doing to push them.

Would you buy a new Corvette with paint like that?

Okay, it's a matter of personal taste and I know the R-0 is a badass guitar.

Still, ask yourself why GC would be so eager to make such a deal?

They got the R-0 from somebody DIRT CHEAP. Otherwise, they wouldn't have bought it.

Maybe half what they're asking. I'm serious.

What do you think they'll be selling YOUR guitars for when you go back in there?

You won't believe it - trust me.

To hide that sorta stuff, they ship merchandise from store to store so you may never know....

Get the R-0, but don't get anal-raped in the process.

you guys are nutz if you think he should trade 2 standards for a used g0. for what he should get selling those standards' date=' he could buy a used R9[/quote']

He's ready to part with them , since he thinking about it. The R9 is a great guitar,but i like the R0 more. He has to know what's good for him. basicly the same guitar with different necks. The deal at GC is never good so, that's the problem. May he should get the R0 and sell the Standards some where else.

He's ready to part with them ' date=' since he thinking about it. The R9 is a great guitar,but i like the R0 more. He has to know what's good for him. basicly the same guitar with different necks. The deal at GC is never good so, that's the problem. May he should get the R0 and sell the Standards some where else.[/quote']

If it were me the two standards would already be gift wrapped for GC...... :)

If GC is selling that R0 for $2600, it will be gone quick.

will the G0 keep its value like a standard? for instance: my friend bought a LP standard new for about 900 in 89. now he could probably get 1500. on the other side of it would my investment be lost in a G0- guitar center vos model as opposed to a r8 or r9.

I predict the VOS craze will fade and the value on them will lag the gloss models a bit more over time.

On the other hand, a good price an a reissue will pretty much guarantee its future worth if condition is good.

I paid $900 for a new Les Paul Standard in 1993.

A little over $500 for a new American Standard Strat.

Gibson website now lists an MSRP of $8,033 on the R-0.

That's a street price of around $5,400 dollars.

I think the R-0 in question here will hold its value just fine....

I wouldn't do it personally. From what I've heard about GC, it could have had a headstock repair or something like that. If you are serious then there isn't much we can say to change your mind.

I wonder if GC could point you in the direction of the previous owner...just sayin

I predict the VOS craze will fade and the value on them will lag the gloss models a bit more over time.

On the other hand' date=' a good price an a reissue will pretty much guarantee its future worth if condition is good.

I paid $900 for a new Les Paul Standard in 1993.

A little over $500 for a new American Standard Strat.

Gibson website now lists an MSRP of $8,033 on the R-0.

That's a street price of around $5,400 dollars.

I think the R-0 in question here will hold its value just fine....[/quote']

a R0 is different from a G0. a G0 is a GC-only plaintop R0 and it costs substantially less. i wouldnt pay more than $2200 for a used G0.

as for the VOS craze, there's more of them because gibson makes more of them. i can polish the finish up pretty easily, so the question is: are shiny pickup covers worth the $300 upcharge and the likely wait time on a gloss model? not to me.

NeoConMan, You might be right about the VOS craze fading, only time will tell. Turtle can clean off the the aging "dirt" and buff the finish up. That's what i did . It looks great, the difference (visable) than is the nickle hardware. It will never be a gloss model, but very close. It might be a keeper, so the value is what it means to him. Turtle, swleary has a very good point. The guitar needs to be completely checked as most of us don't trust GC. They

will stick it to you if they can. If the guitar checks out, at that price, if you can, buy it , flat out. Good luck

My first question is, Why do you have 2 LP's now? I'm guessing one is a backup if you Gig?

So, there goes the backup for what its worth. :-k

As for Standards. Well, mine is an 05 Faded thats already going for 500 more then I paid for it.

You couldn't still it from my cold dead hands if you wanted to. [biggrin]

All Gibson LP's were Standards until Gibson created multiple models so they could expand into less expensive markets.

It also goes the other way with the VOS models. I'm surprised Gibson doesn't include a gold bar in the body because that would actually add true value.

IMHO, anything above a Standard, is a pissing contest. [blink]

will the G0 keep its value like a standard? for instance: my friend bought a LP standard new for about 900 in 89. now he could probably get 1500. on the other side of it would my investment be lost in a G0- guitar center vos model as opposed to a r8 or r9.

using the Department of Labor's inflation calculator, $900 in 1989 is equal to $1572 today. so at best, your friend's guitar appreciated about $72. and thats assuming its in pretty good condition. thats not a great investment imo. it is true that gibsons hold their value over the long run, but take a hit up front. buy the guitar you like. if you want an investment piece, buy a signed JP2 sig.

buy a used guitar and then you wont take a hit. a used G0 (or R7 or R8) can be had for $1800-2200. do not buy one from GC.

a R0 is different from a G0. a G0 is a GC-only plaintop R0 and it costs substantially less. i wouldnt pay more than $2200 for a used G0.

I have to agree with Fenn on this one. Turtle in his 1st post said it was a GO not an RO 2 differently priced

guitars. So to start with it's not a good deal at all to trade his 2 Standards for the GO. If he only sold his

Standards for $1500 he would still be $400 ahead. I see no need to rush into a bad deal.

CW

Used is indeed the way to go if you find something you like.

The majority of the guitars I've owned over the years were used.

Made money on a few when I sold 'em.

R0 is different from a G0.

G0 is a GC-only plaintop R0

Guitar Center exclusive?

I vote with my wallet.

Count me out.

(See signature below)

yea i wouldnt advice that one, my first law is to NEVER sell a guitar to guitar center...at least out of personal experience. i tried goin in there once with my mint condition taylor 214ce and an old ibanez 12 string trying to get around 7-800 to go towards a used rickenbacker 330 that they had on display. those morons offered me around 450 for em both. not only that, but i continued to explain to them how ive spent thousands in their store, and that maybe they could afford to pay me an appropriate price for the guitars, but the guy literally sat down on the floor, playing my guitar, basically ignoring me and repeating the same price saying that was all i could get. the guy was like a 3 year old in a 30 year old's body, unbelievable. anyways now that im done ranting...i think with some patience you can get much better prices for those guitars, guitar center just loves to pray on the people that want their guitars traded in quick instead of waiting and selling it for much more.

Archived