Gibson Brands Forums

Frankenstein Built my Prewar Banjo

OceanAX

Cheers, everyone.

With a grandfather that built, bought and sold various Gibson models over his lifetime, I recently acquired one model that I used to play as a young child.

I looked for information up and down the magical internets, yet to find an exact match.

To me, it looks more of an amalgam of parts (which isn't that surprising since my grandfather built many out of older models he repaired).

I don't see the traditional bearing ring markings (archtop?) and the flange looks like a single piece.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I most likely will be selling this model, and keeping the others that I inherited.

Here are the photos

Regards!

• 1 year later...

This appears to have a style early style 2 tenor Gibson banjo neck a Strom resonator (Strom was a short lived company from the early 70's in Brainerd Minn that was eventually purchased by Richelieu) the remainder of the components appear to be 70's or 80's Gibson reproduction "aftermarket parts" which could have been Liberty, Bucks County, Stewart MacDonald or even First Quality. All good components but the only thing that appears to be Gibson is the neck.

regards

Doug

• 8 months later...

Archived