Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 50th Anniversary SG

jimmiJAMM

Has anyone heard anything about it? I hope they've listened to the masses and are designing something truly worthy of such a milestone. I suppose we can all speculate but won't know for sure 'till the fat lady snaps a E string.

In the meantime.... any juicy rumors to report?

I will probably cry when I see it because

1. The SG is my favorite guitar

2. This will be a beautiful axe causing me to want it badly

3. The price will be so far out of my range that cashing in my 401k would only be a down payment

Hopefully it'll be '61 Reissue, Small Guard (Although I prefer a big one), and the best thing they could ever do is put a sideways Lyre Vibrola on it, Double Ring Tuners and finished in the greatest cherry known to man.

Do that, and I'd buy it.

My guess is that they will try to make a very accurate replication of the original '61.

I highly doubt we'll see a batwing. This is, after all, a 50th anniversary tribute to the '61. Probably the most iconic, distinct feature of the '61 is the small, half-pickguard.

What I'm most curious about is...

A. How accurate will the replication of the original be?

B. Will there be a selection of different models that were introduced in '61 (Standard, Special, Custom, Junior etc.)

C. What features will be available (vibrola options, finish options etc.)

If available, I really want a Special with p90s, wraparound tailpiece, and short vibrola. I'm gassing so hard for that.

Of course if the body isn't how they used to be and if it has a washed out cherry color I'll just buy vintage. Probly be about the same price.

I dunno. A friend with a music store here showed me the 50th Anniversary LP that came out earlier: it was gawdawful garish: gold-top finish all over, except for the peghead, which was engraved, gold-plated metal. It looked like every twelve-year-old's dream. You couldn't play it without tarnishing it somewhere (no, I didn't play it, and, no, he didn't offer to let me).

Let's hope that the same talented artistes who came up with that and the Zoot Suit repress their natural instincts.

I suppose we can all speculate but won't know for sure 'till the fat lady snaps a E string.

What if she snaps her G string ...? [blush]

I haven't been on the site in a while , didn't H-Bomb have a list of things he wanted to see on a SG ?

Maybe they actually went ahead and incorporated his wish list ! .... then again Gibson seems happy to be doing what they want, as lpdeluxe pointed out with the Zoot Suit.

If Gibson is SMART (and we know they will be lest we unleash a barrage of two-horned fury upon them, or we'll hurt them where it REALLY counts and simply not buy one), they'll follow a few simple guidelines:

KEEP IT SIMPLE. A good REISSUE isn't some fancy-inlaid, gold-trimmed fancy harlot that BARELY resembles the original models. No, instead it will need to be a TRULY faithful, accurately-represented guitar which takes the best qualities of that '61-to-early-'66 small-guard, fast-necked, lyre-Maestro-equipped, heavily-beveled sex-machine and makes the must-own double-cut of the century. For example:

a) GET THE OUTLINE, BEVELS AND HORN TAPERS RIGHT...REALLY pay attention to the near-symmetry (even if it IS an illusion pulled off with beveling and angles!) of the early models' front-view; make sure the bevels are properly placed and the cut-angles are right; and for Crissakes (not Peter...lol) PLEASE start tapering those horn tips like the originals, like you've done on the USA '61 reissue since late '99/early 2000 (also I want to add that the way the bevels "cut into" that inner cutaway point matters too!!!). The offer stands, Gibson...I'll come spend a couple days with your R&D people if you want and I can show them how it should be!

[cool] VOS is dumb. This guitar SHOULD be an "as new" reissue. No fading, no oxidation/seminal fluid on the hardware, no hazing of the finish...let ME do that to mine, thanks. PLEK-'em, fine, and if you want to offer a super-limited high-dollar VOS or "aged" model for people who are into that sorta' thing, great. I want my SG nice and shiny at first, call me strange.

c) Make "CHERRY" mean "RED" again. I've seen enough cruddy orangey-brownish faux-faded finishes, thanks. Time for some nice deep true-RED cherry finishes like they ACTUALLY CAME IN. And that nice finish needs to be smooth-as-glass, like the originals can still be found with, NOT this wavy, orange-peel-y, sinking-into-the-grain halfhearted work I've seen for the past near-decade. Especially since we ALL know this is going to cost a little more than your typical VOS, give us our money's worth. Pelham Blue, Candy Apple Red and Ebony would be nice additions for optional finishes as well to the list of Cherry, Faded Cherry (for you guys who actually like that one), White and TV Yellow.

d) No Vibrola = No Reissue. Know how many stock-stoptail Standards or Customs from '61-'71 I've seen, EVER??? MAYBE two. TWO. If you want to make a stoptail-option for it (and the USA '61 RI, etc), fine, but you need the authentic reissue to feature the ol' Maestro. I repeat, MAESTRO. Not that pot-metal, 2 dozen moving parts sideways piece of junk. Not only would that sideways thing be useless and tedious for the users (seriously, try one and see what I mean), but it'd just drive costs up, and let's face it, it wasn't as good-looking as the Maestro anyway. Besides, over the past 15 years I've seen a couple of factory-stock '61 and '62 models with Maestros, so technically it's still an "accurate" reissue, and certainly a better representation. Maybe you can make that optional "aged" poseur model with the sideways for those who REALLY want it, and throw them a bone and also include the oh-so-rare "Les Paul model" scripted headstock. Next year: limited run '62 Reissue w/ebony & pearl blocked short Maestro (just throw it on a well-finished '61 Reissue and most people would still eat it up!).

e) Customs are great, but the STANDARD is the pick of the litter. Hell, make BOTH for all I care, but I'm sorry, I'm not whipping out the Mastercard for gold-hardware and triple pickups. White and gold are pretty, but red w/black trip and silver hardware makes us tight in the pants. And yes, I DO think all the improvements made should eventually make their way to Customs, Specials and Juniors as well.

f) Nickel-VS-Chrome...why not both? I'd love a '65 Reissue (chrome), and a few other people on here have said they prefer chrome's long-term wear to nickel...charge a little extra for one and call it an option.

g) PRACTICAL modern upgrades are A-OK! I actually PREFER improved pots, switch, jack and caps, and I won't have any beef if she just has basic ol' '57 Classics under the hood. If she looks and feels right, the minute difference in tone (and improvement in performance) is negligible for a quality instrument. TonePros Klusons would be awesome as well. I also think it'd be really cool if this guitar included both nylon AND metal saddles for the ABR, so you have an option.

h) In 7 years, follow it up with the perfect '67-'71 Reissue (large guard, optional dark cherry or walnut finishes, etc). Had to throw that in for my late-60's boys. [biggrin]

Did I miss anything? My point has always been, if Gibson would make the SG reissues the RIGHT WAY, us lovers of the originals would be ecstatic, and those who've never known what they're missing from never having played/seen them in person will know why we're as passionate about them as a Corvette collector or a Lionel Train enthusiast!

I've said it before, but since there's ALWAYS a flamer on here (pun intended) who poo-poos the passion for a proper reissue of those early SG's I feel I have to disclose that I am TOTALLY fine with any monstrosities Gibson wants to try to throw out there (sorry to any "proud" Robot or Zoot owners for my candor) AS LONG AS the reissues are done right. If I could buy a reissue I felt was TRULY worthy of the title, I wouldn't care what else they were selling. I just want them to embrace those 50's and 60's electrics that made that company such a formidable icon, and to pay them the respect they (and WE, the admirers of said instruments) deserve. Let's see what you have up your sleeve, Gibson!

H-Bomb

I don't think it should be a reissue - I think the best will be a 50 years jubilee version. There are enough reissues already - who needs more. Just make the best of the best SG ever. Put a TOM bridge, solid neck that is not easily breakable or easily detachable from the body, one or two new colors (like dark blue, yellow, green, orange if you will - just make it unique)(drop the HC and the ebony - there are enough SG with those colors), make it with the small pick-guard and put an ebony fingerboard. Put some classic '57 PAFs and a reasonable price (like a standard) and start counting money.

That should do it.

Stop bulshitting us around with limited edition crabs made with leftovers from the factory by incompetent employees and priced "special".

I suspect that true '61 reissues will not be well liked. For example, those sideway vibrato units? I have not found too many positive comments about them (for that matter, I have never seen a photo of an original 61 SG with a stop tail).

I think 63 or 64 reissues with/without lyre units may be better received.

I really can't imagine what it's going to look like. Hopefully it's got some nice old school bevels, and comes in more than 2 colors.

Also, this is just an aside, but I'd like to nominate hbomb76 as Ambassador of the SG to the world...

Archived