Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 50th Anniversary SG

jimmiJAMM

P.S.: I love my SG but if Gibson does not change their price policy and improve quality - I will sell it and go with Fender - this will be my strike.

You did not just say the F word! Blasphemy!

Neo' date=' could you lend gibson your guitar and say .. "Make this B*tches, its what we want for the 50th anniversery?"[/quote']

I think they call that the Robby Krieger signature model but if it'd help.... I'm open to it.

There are enough reissues already - who needs more.

Actually' date=' that's the problem, that NO "reissue" has ever truly lived up to the title of "reissue". Lots of vague representations, but nothing that can fool me from 20 feet away. Get an original in your hands for a few minutes (a '64/'65 is ideal), and then strap on a "reissue". Not even close in actual feel or appearance. The USA '61 is acceptable when they actually bevel 'em right (and if they offer the Maestro option again!), but I hate to say that the Historics don't really do the originals justice. Too edgy, sterile, cookie-cutter in appearance, nowhere near the sex-appeal of the originals. In fact, if I could find someone who had a circa 1999-2001 SG '61 w/ Maestro in dead-mint condition, I'd trade my custom ordered deep-cherry Historic for it without hesitation, because it better represented the '64/'65 models than the Custom Shop models overall. The price of the Historics SHOULD mean I'm getting the best possible recreation of the originals. The SG '61 w/Maestros weren't perfect either, but at half the price I could live with their very minute issues. If they'd make them like that again, it'd be enough to satisfy most people's needs. But until then, there aren't really any "reissues" that deserve the title. Now, if they would use a few primo examples like THESE for reference, I'd be in, and my faith in the big "G" restored (keep in mind these are only a few of the reference photos I have of some '65 models...y'all have no idea how many photos I could provide Gibson to produce these things right...lol):

[img']http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/hbomb76/Primo%20SGs/509433_FB.jpg[/img]

509433_Top.jpg

showimagez.jpg

r651.jpg

photo1_d2784.jpg

Photo5_07f1c.jpg

325212_Main.jpg

325212_Body.jpg

Notice the great balance on the horns, the tapered horn tips, nice bevel angles (even on the ones with "less" it still looks great), the very "cherry" finishes (no faded/washed nonsense, and look how SMOOTH these finishes still are after 40+ years!!!)...need I go on?

So yeah, all we need is ONE good reissue. But since we've yet to really get a REAL "reissue", It's not an unreasonable request! :-

H-Bomb

The current 61 reissue, with a vibrola would be a good start..... then just make it better from there =P

But NO Relicing, if i wanted a guitar from 1961, i would buy one, What we want is a guitar from 1961, that has never been played or beaten up...

You did not just say the F word! Blasphemy!

Well I did say it. As an argument I will emphasize on the following - an SG Standard reissue costs as much as an Eric Clapton Stratocaster - so much for pricing (I would not compare it to the Angus SG for example - you know what the price tag says).

I had never thought of the F-word before' date=' but comparing prices it hurts me. Gibson should start thinking with their heads more than with their pockets.

If they make reasonably priced guitars we will buy more of them - not one guitar every two or three years (at the best).

And lets be honest - the quality is not what it was ...[cool

I'm new to the forum but a Gibson Sg player for about 25 years. I'm very eager to see what Gibson delivers with the 50th Anniversary. I basically agree with just about everything hbomb76 already wrote but to use my own words...

I'm hoping that both Gibson and Gibson Custom deliver 50th Anniversary models. Like most of the people here, I would prefer the half pickguard and Maestro. I would also like a nice, cherry red finish, not worn, faded, aged, etc. I also agree with hbomb76 in that the guitar should have a clean, rich gloss finish! I don't want to buy a "new, reissue, 50th anniversary" guitar with an aged or VOS finish. I don't want to see orange peel, finish checking, or other "artifacts" that shouldn't be there on a new guitar. Perhaps Gibson Custom can release two (or more) versions of the guitar to satisfy more people.

Either way, I'm very excited at the possibilities and hope that Gibson makes a true work of art worthy of the 50th Anniversary tag.

Well I did say it. As an argument I will emphasize on the following - an SG Standard reissue costs as much as an Eric Clapton Stratocaster - so much for pricing (I would not compare it to the Angus SG for example - you know what the price tag says).

I had never thought of the F-word before' date=' but comparing prices it hurts me. Gibson should start thinking with their heads more than with their pockets.

If they make reasonably priced guitars we will buy more of them - not one guitar every two or three years (at the best).

And lets be honest - the quality is not what it was ...[biggrin

Brother, with Fender and Gibson it is six of one and a half dozen of the other. Do you remember the SVR Lenny or Joe Strummer Tele? Have you looked at the latest line of Fenders? Jaguars and Teles priced at 799 USD and MADE IN MEXICO. wtf is that? Fender is also the one that first bumped their prices two years ago. Gibson is equally as guilty charging what they do for some models.

What I'm most curious about is...

A. How accurate will the replication of the original be?

B. Will there be a selection of different models that were introduced in '61 (Standard' date=' Special, Custom, Junior etc.)

[b']C.[/b] What features will be available (vibrola options, finish options etc.)

"C"

c) Make "CHERRY" mean "RED" again. I've seen enough cruddy orangey-brownish faux-faded finishes' date=' thanks. Time for some nice deep true-RED cherry finishes like they ACTUALLY CAME IN. And that nice finish needs to be smooth-as-glass, like the originals can still be found with, NOT this wavy, orange-peel-y, sinking-into-the-grain halfhearted work I've seen for the past near-decade. Especially since we ALL know this is going to cost a little more than your typical VOS, give us our money's worth. Pelham Blue, Candy Apple Red and Ebony would be nice additions for optional finishes as well to the list of Cherry, Faded Cherry (for you guys who actually like that one), White and TV Yellow.

H-Bomb

[/quote']

"C"

I dig a nice deep Heritage Cherry "true" red too, but if they're gonna make different finishes an option, I'd love to see something in a Natural Burst.

I've always dug that color for an SG.

Don't see that color with the small pickguard too often.

I'd be surprised if you could even find an original sidewinder trem.

Everybody I know that has (or at one time owned) one of the originals said they not only removed it,

they threw the piece of sh!t in the TRASH!

I've only played a couple, and I thought they were all fxcked up.

The owners assured me that they worked just fine - that's just the way it is.

Worse than the 1952-53 Trapeze tail on the Les Pauls....

Now, a Maestro I like....

[biggrin]

3377544277_af24386680.jpg

What if she snaps her G string ...? [cool]

First I HOPE she's not really fat, and second, I want to be "right" there lookin at it, or maybe I could help???? :-

And if Gibson made a RI that looks as good as the '65 STD posted above, Damn it boys! I want one!

Sure the original side vib sucked but maybe there'll be some 21st century technology tucked under the hood this time around.

Yeah a robot vibrola................don't have to actually grab anything........maybe just exert pressure on a plate

with the heal of your hand...............hmmmm............" pat pen blackie"

Sure the original side vib sucked but maybe there'll be some 21st century technology tucked under the hood this time around.

I don't care if they make 'em out of titanium and aircraft-grade aluminum underneath' date=' it'll still be too ugly for me to care. Let's just keep this a Maestro world. [biggrin

H-Bomb

Yeah a robot vibrola................don't have to actually grab anything........maybe just exert pressure on a plate

with the heal of your hand...............hmmmm............" pat pen blackie"

Go For it Blackie ! ...you're the only person I know that could make that happen .

Good luck ! Which SG are you going to sacrifice for that mod ?

• 1 month later...

i agree with dirzzt! add some new colours like blue, off white, yellow and maybe the tobacco burst, but definitely NOT a reissue! i absolutely hate them. Since i am addicted to the sg jr. tv it think they should make one of them for the fun of it :)

Archived