Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage SG's

daveinspain

What makes a guitar vintage, how many years old does it have to be? Do you think the prices are relistic? Would you guys post some pics and info about your vintage guitars... Here is a pic of my 1971 SG Standard made at the Kalamazo plant... I bought this guitar because I was obsessed. It was the guitar my lead guitar player had when I was in my high school band, back in the 70's. Is it Vintage?

71SGfull.jpg

Most collectors of cars' date=' furniture, etc. consider something vintage or antique after 20 years. I'd assume that's the same for guitars so congratulations, you got a vintage SG![/quote']

Only if you live in the USA! In the UK a vintage car is 1940's or older, a classic car is 1940's - late 1980's, late 80's - early 90's are called modern classics. I think in guitar terms 25 years is classed as vintage.

A vintage guitar is an old guitar of course but it's a guitar built during good years. I'm not sure that 70s are good years. Is there a volute between neck and head of your guitar. If yes, it's not a very good year. Nowadays I know that there more and more young people who think that an old guitar is automaticaly a vintage guitar, that's why some people are OK to give much money for them, but they're wrong. In Paris I saw some LP from 70s with volute and laminate body (the worst models) sold for €2,500 it means about $3,500. Plus, year after year original specifications disapeared (long tenon, solid body without hole relieve, small routing holes, etc.) so you can have an old guitar but it's just an old guitar, not a vintage.

I hate to disagree but the volute has nothing to do with it being vintage or not... It may be more or less collectible with or without the volute but there are many other factors that will easily add a 71 Sg to the vintage list; Made at Kalamazoo plant, Pat# Pickups with stickers, Lyre maestro tremolo with tail piece, ABR bridge, solid Mahogany Body and Neck....etc Plus almost 40 years of aged wood...

Dave

A vintage guitar is an old guitar of course but it's a guitar built during good years. I'm not sure that 70s are good years. Is there a volute between neck and head of your guitar. If yes' date=' it's not a very good year. Nowadays I know that there more and more young people who think that an old guitar is automaticaly a vintage guitar, that's why some people are OK to give much money for them, but they're wrong. In Paris I saw some LP from 70s with volute and laminate body (the worst models) sold for €2,500 it means about $3,500. Plus, year after year original specifications disapeared (long tenon, solid body without hole relieve, small routing holes, etc.) so you can have an old guitar but it's just an old guitar, not a vintage.[/quote']

Yes, the word vintage means of a certain 'good' year or batch, and that works fine for wine and cheese, but as I said above it is also used to describe things of an exact age ie, in the UK, cars older than 1940. The term works well for guitars, as not everyone agrees on which years were good and which bad. A lot of people say Norlin era Gibsons are rubbish, but just as many say they are great. At the moment the vintage guitar market is huge, people are willing to pay (rightly or wrongly) two or three times the cost new for a 20 year old guitar, most people agree that old wood is good wood. This means that all guitars made with a decent tone wood to begin with should mature nicely and sound sweeter, thus becoming 'vintage'. So the word 'vintage' is more of a generic term for guitars considered old enough to have gained some extra tone.

Archived