Gibson Brands Forums

Wish me luck...

Nick Beach

My best wishes may be too late' date=' but...

They're there regardless...

sexybeast14

... There is a music program with a potential guitar major currently in western South Dakota at Black Hills State University. Skiing is less than an hour in mediocre weather conditions. There's also a re-growing rodeo club. <grin>

m

[/quote']

Heck, I went to the Univ. of Utah and we could ski to class!!!! And they have a great music program

He's either still partying because he aced it' date=' or he's hung over cause he didn't.....[/quote']

Well the last part is correct. :-

I got though the interview and everything easy as pie, but when I did my actual audition, I didn't necessarily mess up, I just didn't do my best, which is making me nervous.

We did a 1 4 5 improvisation and it took me about the first 12 bars to get in the pocket and play, and some of the minor 7th chords or diminished 12th's weird stuff like that through me for a loop. Then the sight reading piece was this weird spanish swing song which got me. I also messed up on some intervals. That part was just straight my fault because I just played before I thought about it.

But they send out mass emails to everyone who auditioned on March 31st at 12:01 a.m.

So I'll know then.

Where else have you auditioned?

I hated auditioning - not because of my playing, which wasn't always perfect, but because of the schools... auditioning for guitar you get to use your own instrument, but I auditioned for percussion. Sometimes I got really nice equipment, sometimes I got terrible stuff.

I played timpani at Hofstra and wasn't physically able to raise the high drum from a D to an E. When I did manage, it creaked like some colonial-era staircase. Needless to say, I didn't go to Hofstra.

I've auditioned at every college in NC that requires it, and then Berklee.

The only thing I didn't like is that my audition was a neo classical version of Hungarian Dance #5, and I didn't bring any effects because I didn't think I needed any. But the amp they had me using was a fender without a gain control, So it was like hearing John 5's solo record clean. :-

And yes, I'm audition to try just to be able to attend in the fall.

I have a classical guitar audition at the end of the semester to switch my primary from percussion to guitar. I'm not concerned - the only way I'm not getting it is if I lose any number of fingers, but in that case, I probably can't play percussion anymore either.

Best of luck to you. I've been through those auditions, although I don't think I needed to audition for Berklee. I recall that I got accepted based on recommendations only, but that was a long time ago. Go in with a huge arrogant attitude and then put it aside just before you play. I went in with an arrogant attitude and I kept it there. Bad idea because I started a little tiff with one of the professors. Yeah I was a cocky SOB back then, but now I'm just cocky (he he he). Actually I now realize that I knew nothing back then and I continue to believe that I know nothing. This way I'm surprised every time I learn something new...

Don't give up....If they don't pick you there are plenty of good schools...

I've already been accepted to a few. So if I don't get in then this coming year will be spent studying studio engineering. Then come next year I'll be right back in Boston doing the same thing I did this year. This is the one school I would really like to go to.

I've already been accepted to a few. So if I don't get in then this coming year will be spent studying studio engineering. Then come next year I'll be right back in Boston doing the same thing I did this year. This is the one school I would really like to go to.

Great attitude... Thinking like that you will succeed!

Archived