Gibson Brands Forums

pretty different

jameswithesg

That is an RI of the original '83 Spotlight Special that was created using leftover pieces of the wood that were used to make some of THE most beautiful Gibson guitars around at the time.

They're not bad looking guitars, but I'm not a fan of the black binding, or walnut strip running down the center of the top.

That is an RI of the original '83 Spotlight Special that was created using leftover pieces of the wood that were used to make some of THE most beautiful Gibson guitars around at the time.

They're not bad looking guitars' date=' but I'm not a fan of the black binding, or walnut strip running down the center of the top.[/quote']

According to Tony Bacon's 'The Les Paul...' book the originals were created to use up the leftover lumps of walnut from the production of the Gibson 'The Paul' and 'The SG' models to which they added the narrow (and otherwise useless) bits of curly maple. The dark binding and headstock veneers were adaptations of the Chet Atkins model. In '83 it retailed for $1,299 (list).

Although I'm sure it plays nicely I'm not a fan of the look of the Natural one; far too tarty. The Sunburst variant was (for me) a classier look - almost like a vintage violin-burst.

Archived