Gibson Brands Forums

The Custom Club

cqlove

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi cqlove thanks!! Just wanted to know if anyone knows if there is a difference between the LP custom known as the "black beauty" (which has a different set of knobs, silver hardware and ivory tuners) vs the LP custom ebony color and gold hardware or they are just two different models but both black beauties??

Hello all,

I'm new this forum and I'm also the proud new owner of one beat to hell, heavily modified 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom. I purchased this guitar for $1000 and am generally happy with the purchase. The feel of the neck is amazing as the finish is coming off. My main question however is:

Can anyone identify the pickups in this guitar? I cannot seem to find anything. They're fairly unique looking and I haven't come across them anywhere else. I'm almost positive they are not Gibson pickups, which makes me feel better about replacing them (way to dark for my tastes). I was thinking about dropping some Bare Knuckle Mules in there. Thank you for your time and letting me display my baby.

I also emailed Gibson's customer service and found out that this guitar was manufactured on the 323rd day of 1978 in Kalamazoo, MI so it is an authentic Gibson.

DSC_6307.jpg

DSC_6310.jpg

DSC_6308.jpg

DSC_6314.jpg

DSC_6312.jpg

DSC_6311.jpg

DSC_6309.jpg

DSC_6305.jpg

DSC_6304.jpg

i saw an 1985 red lpc for sale on the internet.the owner claims ferrari gave gibson permission to use their red.

this got me wondering,so i contacted gibson on line and asked them. they no record of this.had you heard the same?

Settle down mate[biggrin]

Nothings wrong with it. But it's not standard. Probably an after market Schaller' date='I think.

[/quote']

Are you sure it's after market? I've seen em on quite alot of customs :)

I was under the impression that this kind of bridge was stock model from time to time.

But i don't know half as much as you guys so im probably wrong again :)

Archived