Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Clark/Def Leppard - the good old days...

NeoConMan

Never really a fan.

I don't understand it either. Everyone I hung around were into them.

Then again when it came to hanging out at the billiards hall on a Friday night, my jukebox selections were Aerosmith, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Rush, Kansas and Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, The Family Billiards on the corner of Euclid and Orangewood. Good times.

Thanks, Lowdown. One of my big influences is Dave Davies of The Kinks and I think I get that spastic quality from him. While I'm a huge Van Halen fan (the old stuff, anyway), I always liked Davies' solo on the original version of "You Really Got Me" better than EVH's - not that Eddie's version wasn't smokin', just that I liked Dave's version better.

Hopefully I'll get some time tonight or tomorrow to listen to what everyone else has posted. It's been a hectic week! No matter how much you talk about playing or music theory or gear, it's the actual music that matters.

Phil Collen also played a Destroyer.Had a sponsorship.

Maybe you're getting mixed up there with that?...

I actually still have a late 70's/early 80's Ibanez catalogue somewhere. Pretty sure he was listed as playing with "Girl" which was the band he was in prior to DL.

"Girl"#-o ,hahaha...

I had an opportunity back in the 80's to buy one of those Phil Collen Destroyers with the three pickups but I bought this really crappy parts Flying V instead because I thought it looked cooler. *sigh*

I was a Destroyer addict. Had the DT-400CS' date=' a white DT-450, a black DT-450, and the DT-555 and had EMG's installed. Great quality guitars except for the pro rockr bridge which you couldn't keep in tune.

[img']http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/74/19673h.jpg[/img]

19674.jpg

19676.jpg

19677.jpg

Sweet, Laaz! I love Destroyers too. This guy I jammed with a few times back when I was in highschool had a metallic red one with gold knobs, cream open bridge pup and covered nickel neck pup and I have wanted one ever since. I was always under the impression that that particular one was plentiful but you don't see them for sale very often.

Sweet' date=' Laaz! I love Destroyers too. This guy I jammed with a few times back when I was in highschool had a metallic red one with gold knobs, cream open bridge pup and covered nickel neck pup and I have wanted one ever since. I was always under the impression that that particular one was plentiful but you don't see them for sale very often.[/quote']

Rich there were two red ones from the original Destroyer II's. The DT-50FR was the most common and had a bolt on neck. The DT-300FR was the one Adrian Smith from Maiden played and was the set neck version. The bolt on neck version still shows up quite often but the set neck is near impossible to find anymore. BTW they were both available in Ice Blue as well. Great quality guitars.

I hadn't really listened to High N' Dry before, just mostly Hysteria and the odd song from other albums. But man, what a record! It's nowhere near that 80's type sound they got really famous for (although I kind of like that too), but this is pure riffing heaven. Thanks guys, now I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it on vinyl... [lol]

Pete played a Hamer Standard.

Yep' date=' a couple different Hamer models.

There's some info on this site under the section covering his gear;

Here's a fan site dedicated to Clark that I found;

www.steveclarkguitar.com

I hadn't really listened to High N' Dry before....

But man' date=' what a record!

It's nowhere near that 80's type sound they got really famous for....

... this is pure riffing heaven. [/quote']

Hate to say I told you so, but see below....

:-&/

All of you who think you know who Def Leppard is' date=' especially if you've dismissed them as pop balladeers,

you owe it to yourself to get [b']High 'N Dry[/b] - maybe just think of it as being from a different band.

Because it is.

I've been a fan from day 1...........sure, their sound (d)evolved, but really, who's hasn't?

I saw them live at an outdoor ampitheater 8/09 playing behind Joan Jett...........they BOTH absolutely brought the house down!! GREAT show!!

I'm not too hot for their newest (Sparkle Lounge) but my Mrs. loves it.

A "newer" one I AM really keen on is "Yeah".......their covers of the songs they grew up listening to. T-Rex, Bread,Sweet,The Faces,Bowie,Mott the Hoople, Thin Lizzy,Free, and several others.

What do you think of Pyromania and Adrenalize? I've been looking for High n' Dry on vinyl and I think I know of a place downtown that might have one or two, but it seems like those two aforementioned records are easier to come by. Yay or nay?

Really digging Another Hit And Run and High N Dry (Saturday Night) right now

What do you think of Pyromania and Adrenalize?

They both have some good songs (especially Pyromania) but IMO they're a little overproduced. Plus, two of the cheesiest, lame rock songs ever IMO are contained on those two albums.

Rock of Ages and Pour Some Sugar On Me. :-k

Pyromania is the last one I can listen to.

After Clark died (and to buy themselves a little time) they released Retro Active.

It's a collection of out-takes and alt takes.

Couple of good rockers on there as well.

I like "Ride Into The Sun and "Fractured Love" among others.

I'm probably alone on this one but I still like something

off all their efforts to some degree.

"Slang" and "X" in particular each have some great stuff on 'em.

There is something for everyone on the "Yeah" CD.

All covers, well done and "Leppard-ized".

Vivian Campbell has awesome chops.

But yeah, Steve Clark is missed big time...

Archived