Gibson Brands Forums

gibson bashing... how lame coming from this guys

Thundergod

I just happened to go over to the epi forum, to read about mods and post mine (i wasnt even intending on talking gibson or posting my gibsons´ pics, just post my epi and the mods its taken over the years)...

Now the first thing i find is this

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=601

WTF!!! this guys are retards or what?

I can understand someone that hasnt had the oportunity to own/play a gibson to be bashing gibson and saying you are paying for the logo on the headstock... a lot of times they are morrons that just cant afford one... but this? the a-hole starting the thread owns a custom... and he says his epis are way better and the custom is sh1t...

Then you get guys talking about "all those broken headstocks"... I think an epi headstock and neck joint should break as easy as a gibson headstock/neck joint.

...after reading that i wanted to sign up over there and post pics of my unexpensive gibson les paul standard faded, compare it to epis and let them know an unexpensive gibson beats any guitar any day of the year, so imagine an expensive one (over 2500 i think?). I have a modded epi... ive invested a lot on mods for that guitar and am proud of her but thats it... i wouldnt even compare it to my gibson, as i said before on other threads, i love her but my gibby is a way better guitar.

Some guys over there say upgrading pickups is all it takes for an epi to be better than any gibson... others go so far as to say any epi is better than its gibson counterpart... and of course you have the thread starter that says his epi standard is better than his gibson custom...

Why cant we all be friends?

Wow , He cant afford a back up, but he's selling 4 Lp on eBay..last time I checked they weren't 3 grand a peice either. You can buy nice standards all day long for 1800.00$. There's absoultly nothing wrong with Epi's , But Gibsons are more superior quality and parts. Buy a 500.00$ Epi and add 250.00 for real pickups..now thats 750.00$ , you can buy studios all day long for 750.00. whatz the *****..????????

In all fairness, Gibsons are seriously overpriced and the their QC is terrible. These two points really are not disputable. And yesterday, I played an Epi LP Ultra for the first time while I was at GC. And I have to admit, it was a great little guitar. The Ultras are chambered like the new Standards and I think it sounded just as good as my Gibson Standard Faded (and yes, I did play it thru a HRD, which is my amp at home). And with a price tag of about 600 bucks (and a better top, ha!), I can see why people are now finding certain models in the Epi lineup to be so desireable.

I am still a Gibson guy ( I suppose I do have brand loyalty... :) ), but with their skyrocketing prices and seemingly poor attention to detail these days, I am in no hurry to buy another one.

Gibson bashing at its best huh? lol

They dont really have some of their facts straight over there.

Beatles used Epi's when they were true Epi's.

I was going to sign up and vent...nah!

Oh so true. Those who care to know' date=' have learned thos EPI's of the 60's were just as good as the Gibby's of the day. The bleeding of today's Epiphones devalues, to a degree the earlier EPI's for alot of people based on perception alone. But i wouldn't pass up on a nice Epiphone from the 60's or earlier.

As for Gibson bashing, I find most of those posts that are brought to the grinding wheel to be either lame and/or baseless...

I, for one, would [i']never[/i] put any Epi owner down based on their choice of guitars for whatever their reason to buy it was, be it economic, perceived value, or otherwise. We all obtain what we can and make the best of it. Nothing wrong with that at all. There is a reason why both Brands exist.

But at the same time when one becomes so delusional that they feel swapping out a set of pickups makes it an equal, and then bash others for "wasting money on a name", then I have to at least question their knowledge of guitars... I could add more, But I'll digress...

I think an epi headstock and neck joint should break as easy as a gibson headstock/neck joint.

Epiphone necks and headstocks are made from seperate pieces of wood and glued together. This eliminates the "Short Grain" problem that Gibson's have. Therefore the Epiphone neck-to-headstock area is more robust.

Gibson makes their necks from a single piece of wood and the grain typically runs the length of the neck. When you get to the transition point, where the headstock angles back, the grain can no longer be parallel with the headstock and this creates a "Short Grain" issue. The guitar strings create a lot of tension across this area so they break easily.

So: Building a neck from a single piece of wood is more costly, more wasteful, more prone to breakage, and we pay more money to have it.

I like Gibson Frets. If Epiphone would use Gibson Frets and Gibson Switches, then they would have a really nice guitar.

I would never put down an Epi player either.

Some people want a Gibson style guitar but simply cannot afford one.

Believe me I understand. I feel very fortunate and blessed to be able to have

the guitars that I do have.

Some people cant justify paying Gibson prices when an Epi ( In their opinions )

are just as good a guitar.

Whatever the reason, enjoy what you have and be respectful of what others have.

I would never put down an Epi player either.

Some people want a Gibson style guitar but simply cannot afford one.

Believe me I understand. I feel very fortunate and blessed to able to have

the guitars that I do have.

Some people cant justify paying Gibson prices when an Epi ( In their opinions )

are just as good a guitar.

Whatever the reason' date=' enjoy what you have and be [u']respectful[/u] of what others have.

Perfectly said! I think nothing more eloquent can be said here in this thread.

I played a firebird V by gibson the other day, then a firebird VII by ephiphone, and even though the epi was good for the price, no one can tell me that the gibson is inferior by far to the other one.

If gibsons an epis would be the same price, I wonder how many of those guys would be complaining in that thread? I understand that gibsons do cost a lot of money, but it's not caus I can't afford a ferrari that I can state that they suck more than my honda civic, and that their italian v12 600 horsepower engines are not as good at my 4 cylinder engine caus they are more expensive on gas....

...it's not caus I can't afford a ferrari that I can state that they suck more than my honda civic' date=' and that their italian v12 600 horsepower engines are not as good at my 4 cylinder engine caus they are more expensive on gas....[/quote']

And don't forget, if you dropped the Ferrari V12 and a few other parts into your Honda, it would be just as good.

And don't forget' date=' if you dropped the Ferrari V12 and a few other parts into your Honda, it would be just as good.[/quote']

Oh for sure dude, for sure! Actually, it would be a thousand times better you know.

I don't want a ferrari. You wouldn't catch me dead in one. Seriously, who would want one. Honda civics are where it's at! I'll just spend the initial price of the honda, and then spend so much time upgrading it with ferrari parts that it will have cost me the same price as a ferrari would have! It's going to be so awesome. Then I can totally bash all the people who have stock ferraris with my totally tricked out honda!

We will see who will be laughing then! HA!

I've had a pretty good weekend. Friday night I saw the Robert Fortune Band out of New Orleans, and Black Stone Cherry, then last night I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Jr. I saw a lot of Les Pauls....a LOT... and didn't see a single equipment failure.

I understand the guy who made the original post had some equipment problems, but it's ludicrous to say that is the norm for Gibsons.

I read the epipy post and don't really see that much wrong with that guys statment. He's own gibson's and epipy's and from the sound of, owns other brands. Other brands by the way that other less loyal players are led to only because of gibson's poor quality control perhaps, other brands like esp that by the way are fine quality axes. Other brands that dont have cheep knock-offs of their main line-up

I've had a pretty good weekend. Friday night I saw the Robert Fortune Band out of New Orleans' date=' and Black Stone Cherry, then last night I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Jr. I saw a lot of Les Pauls....a LOT... and didn't see a single equipment failure.

I understand the guy who made the original post had some equipment problems, but it's ludicrous to say that is the norm for Gibsons.[/quote']

You mean that this guy having problems with his gibson might of been because of ignorance and incompetance and not because of problems in his professional quality instrument that most great guitarists have played, some on the same instruments for decades?

No way!

I think it is important to note...

Go read their forum/contents. Mean spirited? A bit low browed?

Now read this thread.... completely different atmosphere entirely.

:) :) =;

Just for the record, I played Epi's when I was shopping for guitars. With one, solitary exception, I wouldn't have bought any of the ones I played. Tone was fine, but compared to playing the Gibsons, the neck was like fretting on sand paper.

I think it is important to note...

Go read their forum/contents. Mean spirited? A bit low browed?

Now read this thread.... completely different atmosphere entirely.

=; :) =;

Just for the record' date=' I played Epi's when I was shopping for guitars. With one, solitary exception, I wouldn't have bought any of the ones I played. Tone was fine, but compared to playing the Gibsons, the neck was like fretting on sand paper.[/quote']

I supose you are right....just trying to have a bit of a laugh.:)

It's true that this debate does seem a bit rediculous.

The terms "guitar snob" and "gibson wannabe" get thrown around a lot in these situations.

There is only one way to deal with this problem : forum guitar duel! Let the tones speak for themselves!

(jk, but it would be a good time...)

Don't worry about them, they're just a bunch of idiots ,who don't know what good playability is, deciding to bash their guitar's parent company. If somebody can't feel, hear, and see that a Gibson is better than an Epiphone, then they need to practice. ALOT.

That thread is getting ugly over there. I've had my Epi LP Standard for about 12 years. It's a great guitar! I love it. It's my road warrior. It's played more gigs than any other guitar I've ever had. Right now it needs some TLC to get back up to snuff but it is a great guitar.....but it's not a Gibson. You get what you pay for. With everything! You are getting a higher quality product with Gibson over Les Paul. While I will say the price increases are pretty ridiculous, it's a much better product. My Epi cost $350 12 years ago, they're $399 now. I wonder what the Gibson comparison is......

It a funny one this one , Ive played guitar since I was 14 im now 44 now all my guitars are top brands 3 Gibson Fender Jackson music man ibanez etc but it has taken a long time to replace lesser guitars with shall we say the real thing. My son is just getting the bug at the age of 15 so I bought him a nice ephiphone lp standard and I suppose I can call my self a Gibson snob because I couldn,t see my self playing any thing else than Gibson till I die. I had a play on it and its a nice little guitar, well made and balanced and Im sure he will be happy with it until he can get the real thing.You dont appeciate the difference until you put the two together , the Gibson just feels fantastic . One thing I would say is if my Gibsons were built as well as his epi I would have been alot happier, all 3 of mine have stupid faults you know the kind of stuff but you accept thats the way It is ,I dont think Gibsons QC is what it could be not for the price we pay [ people will debate that one forever ] so If you want one you just got to keep that in mind. An ephiphone is along way of a Gibson but when thats what you have it seems the best.

Oh for sure dude' date=' for sure! Actually, it would be a thousand times better you know.

I don't want a ferrari. You wouldn't catch me dead in one. Seriously, who would want one. Honda civics are where it's at! I'll just spend the initial price of the honda, and then spend so much time upgrading it with ferrari parts that it will have cost me the same price as a ferrari would have! It's going to be so awesome. Then I can totally bash all the people who have stock ferraris with my totally tricked out honda!

We will see who will be laughing then! HA![/quote']

Oh, trust me, there would be laughing.

Oh for sure dude' date=' for sure! Actually, it would be a thousand times better you know.

We will see who will be laughing then! HA![/quote']

lmao... my exact thoughts...

Archived