Gibson Brands Forums

Help! can you please tell me about this guitar, MORE pics added

JRISS138

I am a proud owner of a few Gibson guitars. I have one that I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to research. I have taken the guitar to numerous guitar shops which focus on vintage guitars and they have only been able to give me vague answers. I have also tried looking on the internet. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would be able to tell me about this guitar. Approximate time it was made. What model it is? etc. basically everything you would know about it.

It belonged to my Grandfather and according to my family he bought it when he was in his early 30's which would mean this guitar was prob built in late 30's or in the 40's. Unfortunately he passed away before I was born so I have never been able to have these questions answered. The only markings on the guitar are the logo on the headstock and the number 675 stamped, or burned, into the bottom of the neck. If you look up through the sound hole towards the start of the neck you can see this number. It is a smaller bodied guitar, possibly parlor sized, and has a tobacco burst finish it has a V shaped neck and looks to be mother of pearl dot inlays. I have attached some pictures of the guitar sorry they are not the clearest pics. I am hoping you guys can help me out with this as I have asked a lot of others and figured it was time to ask here. If you need to know anything else about the guitar ie) dimensions etc. or need additional photos please ask.

Thank you,

James

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3193-1.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

Hi there:

That is an L-00. Pic of L-00 here According to my trusty edition of Gruhn's, the tortoiseshell pickguard following the contour of the body edge was introduced in 1933 and the black finish was discontinued in 1938. This might be further limited to "the mid-1930s" at latest by virtue of a three-digit batch number on the neck block. This page has much more detailed information, some of which contradicts Gruhn: Vintage Guitars Info

- Kilgore

James - Wow! That is an exciting guitar! I agree with Kilgore that own an L-OO. I have '36 L-OO and it sounds incredible. I have a black one also that has had some unoriginal and unfortunate work done to it prior to my ownership. It still sounds very good. If you look in the "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars" by authors Eldon Whitford, David Vinopal, & Dan Erlewine page 1 features an image of a '34 L-OO that resembles your guitar and later pages have some detail that you might want to read. Your guitar has a nice original look to it. In your opinion is it all or mostly original? How playable is it?

Anyway have fun with it. If you go to sell it (I would not sell it) but if you do, let us know.

DC

Archived