Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson sound draws attention

bscha

I have noticed that the last few times we have played out several non-guitar players in the crowd have commented on the beautiful sound of my guitar and asked what kind it was. I have been playing my J-45 lately. I also have a wonderful HD28 that personally I think has a great tone. At a quick strum I think that I would prefer the sound of the HD28. But, after a few hours on the gibson it seems I really prefer the gibson. It seems to me that the more non-musical or music playing people I know prefer the sound of a good gibson. I play the gibson because I love the short scale and the feel of the neck and seem to adjust to the tone. It seems to me that the gibson sound is almost an acquired taste.

Well said bscha.

I love my 00028ec, but I mostly play my Hummingbird now. Whenever I play the Martin I start to miss the Gibson tone pretty fast. And...the necks and short scale of the Gibson is PERFECT. The tone is warm, open, dry, full, airy and clear.

I've had the same thing happen to me. I played my Martin exclusively, and one of the regular attenders at the show said to me "is it just me, or does that guitar sound cooler?"

This was the first night I played it (and poorly, since I had only had it in my possession for six hours and hadn't adjusted to it yet), and he's a DJ.

Well, I was starting to question my own tonal abilities after that guy posted that he didn't understand why I liked that guitar that Mick Hucknall was playing. But this reminds me of how every time I go to a jam everyone comments on how good my guitar sounds. The other thing I've noticed is that other guitars will start following what I'm playing..... does that make sense? Magic really stands out, even in a room of 10 other guitars. When it's break time, I get a chorus of 'can I play your guitar?'

So, thanks Bscha for reminding me that I'm not insane! [cool]

I have noticed that the last few times we have played out several non-guitar players in the crowd have commented on the beautiful sound of my guitar and asked what kind it was.

It happens to me here in my country' date=' like I said there is no Gibson acoustics here.

When people hear the voice of my M-R GIBS they are amazed.

Some say that it sounds just like it is a professional made recording on a CD.

BTW I knew that this will hapent - that's why I purchased a SJ 200 [cool [cool] :D

:-k

Good to read some positive stuff about "the Gibson tone".

Over on the AGF, I posted on a thread entitled "Which brand do you hate" or something. I suggested the thread was a joke and got told off!

I occasionally play at an acoustic open mic with loads of Martins and Taylors and regularly receive compliments about my SWD. (It's sound not the way I play it!) I'm the only Gibson player.

Also, on a related note to this post, has anyone else noticed that the Gibson sound really sounds better though a pickup than other guitars. I am not a big fan of the under saddle pickup sound, but the Gibson sure sounds better plugged in than other guitars. I think that this may be due to the more fundamental sound of a Gibson as compared to a rosewood martin with its rich overtones.

Sometimes' date=' I just like to play a G or C chord, and just listen to it until it dies out......sometimes it's just as beautiful as that....[/quote']

I know where you're comin' from Wiley! I usually play an E chord. You can just hear that "low end" moan!!!

Archived