Gibson Brands Forums

1968 Gibson Crest

bluemax7

Well that was an experience. Lots of birds and snakes up there in George's room. Well guys thanks for all the help, it was good to know that I wasn't the only one amazed and baffled by this guitar. George just kept saying this is an oddball, this is an oddball. He said I thought it was just a Frankenstein at first, but after blacklights, magnifying glasses, books, and a hour and a half inspection he says nope, it was all built at once just like it is except the truss rod cover. One of a kind custom job and quite a guitar. Here's most of the letter he gave us and signed. One thing he stated I did not know, the serial number returns the year 1966 as well as 1969 and that was the first true year Gibson tried to build a Crest model, then stopped and restarted in 1969. Cool huh? I think I got that right.

March 16, 2010

I have personally inspected this instrument.

The guitar described below is, in our opinion, a custom Gibson Crest model with a serial number indicating a manufacture date in the year 1969.

Serial number 809841. This guitar has a typical Crest body constructed of laminated Brazilian rosewood with an arched top, flat back, and multiple bindings on all edges of the body and on the rosewood pickguard, however, in other respects it differs considerably from the typical specifications of the model. It has a neck of the same length as an ES-335 model but constructed with an ebony fingerboard with split block inlays and multiple bound peghead with Gibson and flowerpot inlay. The neck in constructed of three pieces of maple with two dark laminations. The tuners are Kluson Sealfast style. There are two abalone inlays on the back below the hell which are not standard for this model and appear to be further custom work. Unlike a typical Crest which has a raised fingerboard and elevated mini-dash humbucking pickups, this guitar set up with two standard humbucking pickups set into the top. It has Bigsby tailpiece and typical Crest style bridge with ebony base and tune-o-matic top. There is a Custom Made plate between the bridge and the tailpiece. The truss rod cover is thicker than standard and dates from later than 1969. Overall the guitar appears to be in very good condition showing typical lacquer checking on the body. The case is an early 60’s style which appears not to be original to this guitar.

George Gruhn

• 2 months later...

Wow, what a fun thread to read. I was just going through the old threads and found this one amongst the many "HELP me identify this!?!?" I can only imagine what it must feel like to come across such a guitar and hope that one day I might as well! I was wondering, are all the custom appointments on this guitar from the factory? I was assuming that was the conclusion and not later additions. What about the "CUSTOM MADE" plate under the Bigsby? I don't think I have seen that before.

What about the "CUSTOM MADE" plate under the Bigsby? I don't think I have seen that before.

This was Gibson's standard way of covering the holes drilled in the body for the stopbar tailpiece. You see them on many guitars that were factory fitted with other type tailpieces after the holes for the stopbar were drilled.

• 2 months later...

Archived