Gibson Brands Forums

tone

Hthomas

alright so heres my situation. i have an evh 5150 iii 100w head.

gain- 6-7

bass - 7

mid -7

treb - 6

presence - 3

I have it set up for a very thick and heavy tone correct?

I think it sounds very thin. could the problem be im only playing at volume 2 in my house? if i were to turn it to 4-5 would it be much thicker than it sounds now?

Lay that quad face down on the ground,throw a blanket or 3 over it and dial it in.

Seriously (though you really can try that above and should work,but not the way you want) you are not going to get that headroom/tube compression warmth that you're chasing at the volume you have dialed in as your neighbours and parents (sorry if you don't live with them) will have your head on a platter.

thanks man. I heard the attenuators dont work well with master vol. amps?

Not to dispute anyone, but I've never heard good sound via an attenuator with any amp.

...Steve W

Attenuators can sound good for knocking down an amp a bit, but they're not very good for taking a 100w amp down to bedroom levels. I bought one four or five years ago for that purpose and it basically turned my nice Mesa head into something that sounded like a distortion pedal so back to the store it went. Kinda wish I held on to it now as it would be handy with the band.

Where should it be?

/shrug I dunno. I vary mine and can thicken up or thin out the tone a bit.

Now that I think about it' date=' I'm pretty sure I used to just dime everything and play years ago... maybe that's what I'm doing wrong now /chuckle...

[biggrin

Archived