Gibson Brands Forums

First time Gibson buyer needs help

icy

I have a chance of purchasing my first Gibson Les Paul standard, she's from 1990 with ebony finish (photos to follow), I have been to the owner's place and played the guitar, it's nice and loud unplugged, even better when plugged in, good action etc, but am just concerned about whether the guitar is a genuine Gibson hence I need help from the knowledge people on this forum.

The seller wants USD $1700 for it, is this a fair price? If anyone knows it's value or have had experience with this guitar please also let me know.

According to the owner, everything on this guitar is original, I have included the photo from the pots/switch so someone please tell me he's been true to his words.

Looking to know as much info about this guitar as possible, so any input welcome, Big thanks in advance :-&

Below are some pictures I have taken when inspecting the guitar.

P1010384.jpg

P1010383.jpg

P1010391.jpg

P1010387.jpg

P1010365.jpg

P1010366.jpg

P1010367.jpg

P1010375.jpg

Looks okay to me too.

Be nice to see an overall shot of the guitar to ascertain condition.

Do remember, black shows everything, and nitro finishes in black are a b!tch to keep looking good.

I'd like to see the price a little lower myself.

Hell, you can just about snag a new one for that if you play your cards right.

1990 isn't old enough to be considered a vintage piece, so it's not going up in value yet.

If it's in super clean condition, go ahead and spring for it.

At around $1250, I'd call it a great deal.

$1500, okay....

Any notable flaws, scratches or dings?

No sale.

Just saw the NZ in your avatar.

New Zealand?

I have no clue what a good price is on a guitar in New Zealand.

[scared] [scared] [scared]

And I can imagine that they are a bit harder to come by Down There than they are in the states.

The guitar looks good to me anyway...

Yes I'm from NZ, the price seem to be fair according to the folks in NZ forums, I would say those Gibsons are much harder to come by compare to USA. The owner doesn't seem to know much about the guitar, said the guitar belonged to his mate in US now and was then sold to him when he left, he only had the guitar for about 6 months. The pickups does seem in very good/new condition compare to the rest of the guitar, the binding around the body show signs of age with cracks along the edges but appears to be cosmetic only. I think I will go ahead with the purchase since I am more concerned about whether it's an authentic Gibson or not.

Do keep the input coming if anyone encountered anything suspicious from the photo [scared]

A very nice LP Std from 1990. That was actually good era for Gibsons in terms of build quality. Should have a brown Canda-made case w/pink lining. A safe buy. IIRC, it would have sold for around $1,100 new.

Welcome.

If the seller was a player, he took pretty care of it - the headstock is in really good shape. On the other hand, a broken pup ring? That is a cheap and easy fix. Hmmm . . .

I agree with Neo - I'd feel more comfortable with a full front on picture (no angle, just straight on).

Still, looks like a good price.

Good luck. O:)

If you replace the pup ring get both so they are the same color. One of my

students replace just one and they are different tints. Ones lighter then the other

He has another come to match them up. I agree also on the frontal shot so one

can see it better.

CW

Welcome to the forum.

The guitar in those pics is real. But how did he brake the neck pickup ring?

Gibson no longer makes pickup rings of the color/finish they used to make, I learned this after contacting them over 2 USA standard pickup rings I bought from a dealer that ended up being from 2 different dates and in a different finish.

binding around the body show signs of age with cracks along the edges but

appears to be cosmetic only. I think I will go ahead with the purchase since I am more concerned about

whether it's an authentic Gibson or not.

Do keep the input coming if anyone encountered anything suspicious from the photo

Good pics for determining authenticity, but not for real Gibson concerns.

Look at the back of the headstock where it curves into the neck around the area of the nut and first fret.

That's where the most common failure is, the famed headstock break.

Any sign of stress in that area, or evidence of repairs is a deal-breaker.

Look at the joint where the neck meets the body, finish should be in good shape around the joint.

I little hairline crack in the finish is okay, but if it appears to have been repainted...

Overall, I think you're in good shape.

I did inspected the common failure from Gibson necks, though I am no expert in that area I can not see signs of repair, it all seems in one piece without paint crakcs etc. No idea how he broke the pickup ring I don't really mind that as it's an easy fix.

Everything looks alright to me but something about that headstock Gibson logo looks fishy...

Can you explain more on this?

Here's another shot of the guitar.

121330777_full.jpg

No idea how he broke the pickup ring I don't really mind that as it's an easy fix.

It's plastic - the sh!t just breaks sometimes.

Guitar is fine.

I say go for it.

And buy a metal jackplate if it doesn't have one already.

After 20 years, the one that's on there owes you nothing.

Guys, I have bought the guitar! She's got the sweetest sound, played her 2 hrs and want more, definately a keeper, will be holding onto it for many years to come. Thanks for everyone's input it really encouraged me to get this beautiful guitar, I am the happiest man on earth

Do remember' date=' black shows everything, and nitro finishes in black are a b!tch to keep looking good.

[/quote']

That's a true statement. I have a guitar that had noticable swirl marks as soon as the finish was dry. And I sprayed it myself.

Archived