Gibson Brands Forums

Cat just got sprayed by a skunk

Gilliangirl

OMG it's so strong. It doesn't smell anything like skunk when you get this close to it.... it smells worse. I think I'm going to throw up [scared]

And this cat is so big and powerful that even some of the groomers in town won't touch him. So I can't wash him. It's going to be a long week (that's how long the vet said it would take to wear off)

1. Buy 5 gallons of tomato juice.

2. Turn the water off to your toilet.

3. Flush the toilet as many times as needed to drain it completely.

4. Fill toilet bowl with tomato juice.

5. Fill toilet tank with tomato juice.

6. Turn water supply to toilet back on.

7. Put lotsa towels on the floor.

8. Remove vinyl shower curtain from bathroom to prevent damage.

9. Calmly carry cat to toilet.

10. Quickly place cat in tomato juice-filled toilet.

11. Rapidly close and sit on the toilet lid.

12. Wait until cat stops thrashing about and has completely given up.

13. Flush toilet while sitting on lid.

14. Wait until this second toilet cycle is complete and the cat has once again stopped struggling.

15. Flush toilet a third time while sitting on lid, this is the water rinse.

16. Repeat swirling water rinse as you feel is necessary.

17. When you are certain the cat is completely rinsed, hold a towel in front of you while you raise the lid.

18. Stay out of the way as the cat leaves the bathroom, probably at a high rate of speed.

Note - if the cat is accustomed to being outdoors, this may be a good time to have all exterior doors open.

He'll come back within a day or two.

1. Buy 5 gallons of tomato juice.

2. Turn the water off to your toilet.

3. Flush the toilet as many times as needed to drain it completely.

4. Fill toilet bowl with tomato juice.

5. Fill toilet tank with tomato juice.

6. Turn water supply to toilet back on.

7. Put lotsa towels on the floor.

8. Remove vinyl shower curtain from bathroom to prevent damage.

9. Calmly carry cat to toilet.

10. Quickly place cat in tomato juice-filled toilet.

11. Rapidly close and sit on the toilet lid.

12. Wait until cat stops thrashing about and has completely given up.

13. Flush toilet while sitting on lid.

14. Wait until this second toilet cycle is complete and the cat has once again stopped struggling.

15. Flush toilet a third time while sitting on lid' date=' this is the water rinse.

16. Repeat swirling water rinse as you feel is necessary.

17. When you are certain the cat is completely rinsed, hold a towel in front of you while you raise the lid.

[b']18. Remove dead cat.

[/b]

Note - if the cat is accustomed to being outdoors, this may be a good time to look for a nice burial spot that has easy access for periodic visits.

Gillian Girl... I could tell you how I 'learned' this lesson , tomato juice is OK but it does not address the real issue..........

Heres the 'skinny' ......the skunk's 'juice' is oil based, tomato cuts the smell buy its acidity but does NOT clean it off.

You need to clean the "oil" from the fur.

Get a good grease cutting detergent like Dawn dish washing liquid. Then very throughly clean every inch of kitty. lots of hot water ( as hot as the cat can stand) and plenty of detergent.

The smell will linger for months and be more noticeable when the cat gets damp or wet but it will be enormously better after the first washing...

First get the cat out of the house you live there and it will stink for months.

I love my dogs but when skunked they live outside. Second tomato juice

doesn't work. The only thing the does is Hydrogen Peroxide 4 16 oz. bottles

Dawn like said above and 3 tablespoons of baking soda then mix together

and clean the animal outside. I'm shocked it would be a cold day in hell

before a skunked pet came in my house. Then you not only have to clean

the pet but the house too.

CW

ROFL!!!! Thanks for that Neo' date=' I needed a laugh! The smell in here is truly nauseating.

The problem is the cat will not fit in the toilet. It might fit in the washing machine if I remove the agitator!

[img']http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/Gilliangirl/Ben-nistheMenace.jpg[/img]

LOL

OMG, that's a cat left over from the last ice-age....... That sucker is HUGE!!!!:-k

From a Mythbusters episode.....

Removing skunk odor with...:

Tomato juice: plausible

Beer (MGD): busted

******: busted

Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + liquid dish soap: confirmed

Commercial skunk remover: confirmed (not as good as custom mix above)

Beautiful cat! Norwegian Forest Cat?

If he's too surly to bathe, you might want to try dropping him in a clean garbage can partially filled with the cleansing solution of your choice. (Not so much that he would drown!) Then put the lid on quickly and let him thrash around a bit. The best place would probably be a warm garage, so that he's not too cold while drying off.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Wow, sorry for your cat Gilliangirl. That's a beautiful cat by the way.

Anyway, I'm shocked at the fact that this seems to be a common thing to happen to you guys... It's the first time I even read about something of the like.

Best of luck with dealing with it.

hahahaha

Throwing a fit isnt helping anything. Don't make a big deal over nothing.

This coming from a guy that threw a fit about his dad not letting him get an amp

on an internet forum. You are funny I have to say.

CW

Thank you EVERYBODY (that includes BOTH Das and Cw [biggrin] ) for the info. I just got back from the vet and they sold me this stuff called Skunk Off liquid soaker which is supposed to just soak in and remove the smell, no bath required. I have my doubts but I bought 3 bottles and am heading downstairs right now to put it on Benny. I am wearing a ski suit and construction safety goggles LOL If I never post again you'll know I got shredded to ribbons. It's been wonderful knowing you all [biggrin]

Thank you EVERYBODY (that includes BOTH Das and Cw [biggrin] ) for the info. I just got back from the vet and they sold me this stuff called Skunk Off liquid soaker which is supposed to just soak in and remove the smell' date=' no bath required. I have my doubts but I bought 3 bottles and am heading downstairs right now to put it on Benny. I am wearing a ski suit and construction safety goggles LOL If I never post again you'll know I got shredded to ribbons. It's been wonderful knowing you all [biggrin']

I can relate to your pain. All 3 of my dogs got it during what I call the skunk

invasion I had last summer. A couple families of shunks were eating June bugs and

they were digging up in my front yard at night. I hundreds of holes and the stink

was so bad. When they came back one night and I went out to shoot them the

dogs jumped right through the screen door. They all got it and so did I luckly it

was on my clothes which got burnt. Tried the skunk off didn't work so well. The

mix worked much better and cost a lot less. The worst part was the girls had to

stay outside for a few days. Sure missed them. Good luck

CW

Archived