Gibson Brands Forums

Cat just got sprayed by a skunk

Gilliangirl

This coming from a guy that threw a fit about his dad not letting him get an amp

on an internet forum. You are funny I have to say.

CW

I asked for advice on how to convince him, I didnt throw a fit.

I survived! CW' date=' I'm really skeptical about the Skunk Off. Here's the same cat after THREE bottles of Skunk Off, looking a little less big, a little less proud....

[img']http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/Gilliangirl/IMG_1037.jpg[/img]

Give the mix a try it works pretty. I know the dogs didn't look to happy after their bathes either.

I think they like the smell. LOL One other thing wear rubber gloves (forgot that before) I had

to learn that the hard way. Got a lot of looks for a couple days. LOL I keep the Hydrogen Peroxide

around all the time now. Here's a pic of the stuff that didn't work so well

and cost a pretty penny also.

IMG_0322.jpg

CW

I survived! CW' date=' I'm really skeptical about the Skunk Off. Here's the same cat after THREE bottles of Skunk Off, looking a little less big, a little less proud....[/quote']

That's one very happy looking cat!

GG if he's an overnight indoor cat, I'd be sleeping with 1 eye opened for the next week or so!!

Get a good grease cutting detergent like Dawn dish washing liquid.

I've kept a bottle of Dawn in my shower ever since it hit the market all those years ago.

And NO house should be without a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide' date=' vinegar, baking soda and such.

When I get greasy from wrenching on my vehicles (or at at work years ago) there's nothing better than Dawn.

I got completely drenched in hydraulic fluid, dripping from my hair and boots running over, in a system failure

while repairing a crane years ago - and I was staying out of town at a hotel. I told one of the guys I was with

to go to a grocery store and buy the biggest bottle of Dawn he could find, and I spent 30 minutes in the shower

with it. Thank God hotels have huge hot water tanks!

Hot water is a must, you're trying to [i']emulsify[/i] oily compounds - look it up Dom.

It will dry your skin if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, but it WORKS.

I found that I hate the "oily" residue most hand cleaners leave behind due to lanoline.

I'll take the dry skin, it doesn't last long in my case.

During the Exxon Valdeeez spill in Prince William Sound that they were trying everything under the sun to clean

and save otters, waterfowl and such. Anything "gentle" enough for the animals and Dave in Spain didn't do a

damned thing, and they were afraid of trying harsh oil-cutting chemicals. When they discovered how well Dawn

worked, they had truck loads of it flown in - and saved a huge number of animals that would have died had they

continued as they were.

And for the record - every one of the dozens of animals I have killed was on purpose - and quickly done.

:-k

Karen, glad thing are at least better now for you and the cat....

:-k

My stock reply to those thinking I'm inhumane and cruel to animals is thus - what if he had no house?

What if this cat, dog, ferret, snake, canary, whatever had to fend for itself in the given situation?

I'm with cwness on that one I'm afraid...

As my Dad told me, as soon as animals evolve enough to develop thumbs and abstract reasoning - they can build

their own damned house. Until then, they'll live outside and wait for evolution to catch up to them.

Steve, the cat is relegated to the basement until I can get this mess under control. Of course he had to get sprayed on a weekend when nothing's open #%$&^%$!!!! He's okay for the time being.... I've got lots of big towels and a little heater on for him, plus his treats, food, fresh water. He's a spoiled cat, used to sleeping on big poofy down comforters, so this is really upsetting him. He'll never go near a skunk again after this.

Neo, I remember that story about the Exxon and the Dawn soap. First thing tomorrow morning I'm heading into a groomer with some Dawn and Nature's Miracle Skunk remover (thanks CW). I know the Nature's Miracle brand is good.

Now, if I can just get through tonight....... :-k

Here's another helpful Dawn tip. In the washing machine. Ever been cooking

get a little grease spatters on the front of a shirt. Put a litte Dawn on the splatters

and in the washer and they are gone. This works for any grease on clothes.

CW

Nature's Miracle Skunk remover (thanks CW). I know the Nature's Miracle brand is good.

Now' date=' if I can just get through tonight....... [confused

GG it doesn't work very well either I was warning you. Go get 4 16oz bottles of the HP add Baking Soda

and the Dawn as crazy as it sounds this works very good. I don't rinse it off either just leave it on. It

doesn't bother the pet one little bit either.

CW

Here's another helpful Dawn tip. In the washing machine.

Put a little Dawn on the splatters and in the washer and they are gone.

Learned the hard way...

Use too much and you'll have a foam monster growing out of the machine.

[cool][blink][confused][blush]

Just a big squirt like for a sinkfull of dishes.

And I don't care what the label on the clothes says' date=' use HOT water.

If you're worried about shrinkage, air dry them on a hanger.

I did this with coveralls for years.

My primary concern was having grease left behind in the washer - or God forbid in the dryer.

Your wife will let you know promptly if this occurs, as it will show up on HER clothes.

Only took once for me to learn my lesson - and we're no longer married....

(Actually, that's a good thing!)

:D/

Put a little Dawn on the splatters and in the washer and they are gone.

Learned the hard way...

Use too much and you'll have a foam monster growing out of the machine.

ROFL! My old roommate, many years ago, ran out of dishwasher soap and thought she could simply exchange dishsoap in the same amount. She broke the spinner thing in the dishwasher because it couldn't cut through the foam!

CW, that H202/baking soda/Dawn formula works like a damn!! I washed the cat and the floors in the basement. You'd never know there was even a problem!! Thanks again!!

Hey Gillian

I'm glad it worked, like I said I've unfortunately had to deal with it also.

I read your last post and thought you were going to get the Nature's Miricle

and that didn't work either so I was hoping you would check here to see

my other post.

CW

Contrary to popular belief, cats actually love baths, so if your cat needs one, give it one. The worst part of giving a cat a bath is getting off all the fur that sticks to your tongue once you're done.

TG...

Karen...

First, Karen, I'm darned glad you got the cat to the vet, too. As you well know, a lotta skunks carry rabies.

TG, yeah, there are a lotta skunks in North America and it's sometimes surprising how one might even find some of them in some areas of towns up to a million people or so.

The stench is horrid. I have a hunch that more than a few predators have died of starvation because other prey animals smelled them coming or in an ambush site.

Also... As far as I'm concerned there are indoor pets and outdoor pets. Ne'er the twain shall meet. But then I have time to feed a cat once every day or two, not to walk a dog daily or think of one in a fenced kennel with no stimulation.

m

Karen, glad it's all better.

I'll file the H2O2/baking soda/Dawn recipe away for future use.

I didn't wanna mention this earlier and be even more of a bummer than usual...

When I was a kid, my grandfather would shoot his dogs when they got into skunks.

He had a small farm with people living all around him in eastern Oklahoma, theft was rampant.

He had an earlier prototype version of my NeoCon Compound, well-fenced and secure, and kept a few dogs.

When I would visit, of course I wanted to play with the dogs (and they wanted it too) but he discouraged it.

Said the dogs had a job to do, keep people outside his fences and away from his stock or equipment.

Didn't want them too friendly, and he avoided giving them any attention.

In retrospect, the dogs were happy enough.

Wagged their tails when he approached them, especially when being fed table scraps - no dog food.

This despite his penchant for kicking the living sh!t out of them when he felt they needed it.

Coming back to the skunk thing, he gave all dogs credit for being able to learn a lesson.

If they came home as your cat did, he would shoo them away from the house to avoid the stench.

Even fire off a shot to scare them away, and would not feed them until the smell was bearable.

His plan was that the dog would have learned that life sucks when you tangle with a skunk....

If they grew older, and didn't figure it out, when they came home sporting eau de skunk the third time, game over.

He would then act friendly enough to get them to follow him past the barn and then dispatch them with a shotgun.

They weren't doing their job, and were too stupid to have around the house in his opinion.

Used to kill me when we'd go visit, and NONE of the dogs from 3 months ago were there anymore.

Milod, I didn't even think of the rabies thing? I know there are many skunks around here, and they're BIG! I always thought they'd be about the size of a cat. Not the ones around here. They're BIG and shaggy, and skuttle along like giant dustmops. There's a pair of them living in the park brushes across the street, and they wander through the neighbourhood every now and then. You can only get rabies from a bite, right? The skunk juice wouldn't spread rabies I hope?

Neo, I know that farm people look at animals in a whole different sense. If they aren't contributing to the production of the farm in some way, or they're taking up too much money/time/effort, off they go to the big farm animal graveyard in the sky. With due respect to your dad, if that's how he thought about the dogs, I hope he was better with his kids! That seems rather brutal? The dogs were happy, likely because they didn't know any different lifestyle than what they had. If they'd had a frame of reference (i.e., first being one of my pets haha!) they would not have been too happy moving in with your dad :-

With due respect to your dad' date=' if that's how he thought about the dogs, I hope he was better with his kids! [/quote']

Grandad - BIG difference!

[biggrin]

No, my Dad was a hard *** but nowhere near that degree.

Looking back, my Dad did it right.

My Grandad hated everybody - a product of his environment.

Long story, but he was far from alone in that regard all those years ago.

Bitter old man when he died...

Contrary to popular belief' date=' cats actually love baths, so if your cat needs one, give it one. The worst part of giving a cat a bath is getting off all the fur that sticks to your tongue once you're done.[/quote']

ZigZag, you just ain't right. That caught me off guard and needed that laugh! I was feeling sorry for these animals and was ready to go skunk hunting (with a sniper rifle of course). Now I know how you got your name and you need to lay off that stuff...roflmao. Truly great.

And GG, glad it all worked out alright.

Karen....

I think if the vet were concerned, he'd have hollered at you or told you something.

Actually I'm told just the slobber can get to you, at least if you have broken skin. When I was a kid, my uncles' farm was right at the Skunk River - really. And one summer when I was there to help with haying I couldn't go close to the barn because a skunk had been "slobbering" around. For a number of years skunks seemed to have rabies in that area. Ditto ground squirrels. Of course that was 50 years ago and more.

Anyway... as I said, the vet certainly would have said something when you took the cat to him/her.

Also... with reference to firearms, there always were shotguns at front and back door, loaded. We kids knew one was very careful around them, btw. They had been used to protect livestock from various other critters, mostly due to rabies.

I could tell some tales, but I won't.

m

Oh, sure Milod.......

Let ME be the Bad Guy!

[crying]

Yeah, any rabies around your vet woulda sounded the alarm.

Skunks are the most prolific carriers, are they not Milo?

I mean, how often does a bat come around your house compared to a skunk?

Which actually brings up an important point - a bat on the ground away from its home is sick, stay away.

All too often it IS rabies in those cases, eh?

ZigZag' date=' you just ain't right. That caught me off guard and needed that laugh! [/b'] I was feeling sorry for these animals and was ready to go skunk hunting (with a sniper rifle of course). Now I know how you got your name and you need to lay off that stuff...roflmao. Truly great.

And GG, glad it all worked out alright.

Blech! Actually, between the Skunk Off and the H202 bath, Benny doesn't have much fur left at all [crying]

Now 65, don't go after the skunks. They're just doing their thing; they don't know they're skunks! [scared]

Oh' date=' sure Milod.......

Let ME be the Bad Guy!

[crying

Yeah, any rabies around your vet woulda sounded the alarm.

Skunks are the most prolific carriers, are they not Milo?

I mean, how often does a bat come around your house compared to a skunk?

Which actually brings up an important point - a bat on the ground away from its home is sick, stay away.

All too often it IS rabies in those cases, eh?

Neo, you're used to being the bad guy anyway, aren't you? [scared] [scared]

Milod, Benny got sprayed in his left eye. It seems fine now but the vet said to watch for an infection that could cause blindness (worst case scenario)! So far, so good. He didn't say anything about rabies? Oh gawd, I'm having visions of having to shoot my cat just like in Old Yeller [scared]

No, I won't go after the skunks. Neo wouldn't let me live that down and Milod brought back some memories with the rabies thing. It is not a good thing, rabies. Coyotes get them a lot here in Georgia. Rabies give animals no fear - what was that St. Bernards name? Cruznolf... no...that wasn't it... oh... Cuzo. That was a sick dawg. If the skunk had rabies, I am sure your cat would have hauled *** even faster than getting juiced. Still, sorry for your cat. That is one good looking cat.

Karen... I've a hunch the vet looked for any broken skin, etc., and was mostly concerned about the effect of the spray. Frequently the rabid skunk will tend to bite instead of spray, at least as I understand it. But then, that's often because "he" got bitten by a rabid animal that wasn't all that impressed by the spray.

Neo's right about bats, too. They're horrid carriers of rabies, but may be less of a problem in some areas because there aren't so many of them and they don't tend to be looking to be around people quite so much. OTOH, I don't like being around bats at all, at all, at all.

I just was happy you went to the vet with the cat. Truly. If he were concerned, he would have said so.

m

Archived