Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody have one?

xxx

I came across one about a year ago... I asked to try it, but no one had any idea how to hook it up to get the 6 pickups to work... they didn't have a cable to do it with and weren't willing to set up six amps etc.

It felt like a regular paul, and sounded like one in standard mode, and I really did enjoy the look, though the carbon fibre inlays were a little cheeze wizz. The tuners were neat, and easy to use.

I look forward to getting one, if MOOG doesn't release their new guitar...

• 9 months later...

Well guess I may be the only actually owner (besides Craig Anderton). Most Gibson links related to this guitar now point to the Dark Fire (second generation robot guitar). The only one I've seen for sale out there is at Sweetwater -- Gibson raised the price so it is a little over 4 grand, but given that Gibson has axed MaGIC, maybe you can deal one it, but you can get the Dark Fire for 3500, so it better be some good dealing.

I love the guitar -- it has great LP tone and plays well. The shortcoming is that the digital output won't go directly into a computer (and DAW) -- you must go to BoB (the Break Out Box) which converts to analog then take the six analog outputs into an input board that will handle all those inputs (I use a PreSonus that handles 8 inputs). Once you get the six channels into the computer, you can do some really cool stuff (assign a different amp to each string, panning, etc). See Craig's articles in Guitar Player about how he does this live. My efforts to contact Gibson about any work for a digital interface have gotten no replies (I was hoping the TC merger might go some place, but I guess not) and recent info says that MaGIC is dead. So where does that put me?

I have downloaded the MaGIC specs and may try and design a DSP interface myself (I work with a lot of EE types) -- there was a DSP test board and software, but I haven't been able to get any information about it -- does anyone know anything about this or who I might contact at Gibson about it? Given that it seems only a few of these guitars sold, it certainly wouldn't be a money making interface, but I'd be interested on pursing it on a hobby basis.

I'd like to discuss possibilities with anyone....thanks,

Charlie

• 2 months later...

Hello

I'm from Portugal, I received mine HD 6.x PRO last week, the guitar is really beautiful, with a lot of exclusive parts and finish... About the sound and the breakout box, I think everything was already told. I just would like to know how much were made... Thanks

Your photo shows off the finish much better than my rather dark one.

As Steve noted, the guitar plays and sounds great. My only reservation has been (as noted) that Gibson never finished the task of making a direct digital interface to a computer (DAW).

Charlie

I always liked the idea since ordinary digital guitars sound like s%*t. I had true hopes on this guitar for both a Les Paul sound and any digital stuff. Also hooking up to six amps!

But I never found one.

If anybody is selling one please let me know.

Any suitably equipped hexaphonic (six outputs) guitar with a DIN (13) or suitable output can drive six amps -- just get the RMC Fanout Box.

But given the current quoted prices of the HD-6X and the fact that the MaGIC interface is dead, I would certainly go elsewhere, like the Dark Fire.

Charlie

i hate all those iper-technological guitar.

elantric can i ask a question -which is in my head from long time- ?

why, for all those models (robot, HD6x pro etc), gibson uses, for base, the most economical version of all models?

i explain better:

for example, why gibson uses the SG SPECIAL instead the standard or the 61r for base?

(for the Les Paul,why the studio and not the custom??)

=D>

My SG Ltd Robot is like a Standard+... covered 490/498T pups, locking Neutrik jack, but has a bound ebony fretboard that you won't find outside of the custom shop now, along with trapezoid inlays, inlaid logo/flower, and bound headstock.

The have a cheaper SG Special Robot that you referred to that's out now, but the first run was arguably better than an SG Standard in terms of base.

• 6 months later...

Archived