Gibson Brands Forums

What strap locks are best to use on an SG?

RRIDER

I prefer either Schaller or Ernie Ball straplocks. Those universal ones give me some doubt because just about every guitar maker uses different size strap buttons. I also try to use the original button screws when I install the strap lock buttons. The replacement screws are usually too long or of a slightly different thread diameter.

Yeah' date=' I prefer the Jim Dunlop ones. The Schaller ones always put me off the way they slot in and out on the it's side.

Apparently the Dunlop ones are tested to 800lbs.[/quote'] How do the schaller ones slot in and out on their side? Mine slide on from the bottom, so even if the lock nub doesn't engage, it isn't going anywhere.

For guitars that have a strap button on the neck joint like my SG's and my H535, I prefer Schaller locks. That's also what came on my SG supreme and H535, so why mess with it? I put them on my SG standard as well, and my H150 came with Schaller buttons installed, but no locks. That was quickly remedied.

My Carvin guitars, basses, and Hamer guitars all have Dunlop dual-design strap locks, stock. Just remember to keep them oiled and the strap button clean and they'll keep your guitar safe.

Both are good designs in the end.

I just researched the Dunlops and appear to be a great design. The locking ball bearings allow for 360 deg. stability, they are available in 4 colors and seem to be less expensive compared to Schaller or Ernie Ball. I will definately check them out the next time I need a strap lock! This is the same design as my Ernie Ball strap locks except the Dunlops cost $5 -$8 less.

I use Schaller style...almost lost a friend's T-Bird Pro (equipped with Dunlops) to a violent drop live onstage a few weeks ago when we switched instruments, so I just make sure my Schallers stay tight and I have no worries in the world.

H-Bomb

I've been using the Dunlops on my guitars for 25 years, still have a set that is that old! never a problem with them. I found some cheap units on ebay a while back, but they really aren't made to be able to take the strap off. BUT THEY DO WORK!

STRAP LOCKS

I just researched the Dunlops and appear to be a great design. The locking ball bearings allow for 360 deg. stability' date=' they are available in 4 colors and seem to be less expensive compared to Schaller or Ernie Ball. I will definately check them out the next time I need a strap lock! This is the same design as my Ernie Ball strap locks except the Dunlops cost $5 -$8 less.

[/quote']

Just remember those balls don't last forever. I nearly busted the tip off of a flying v because the balls were worn out and the thing slid right out of the button itself.

Thats why I like the schallers, if the thing in the middle fails then I've still got the little horse shoe thing the save my guitar.

I have been well served by Schallers over the years. I just regularly check that the bolts on the strap part are tight . . . probably because I only hand tighten them. Maybe if I used a spanner they would never come loose.

Has everyone ruled out Grolsch washers?

http://www.homebrewmart.com/homebrew-supplies/grolsch-washers-100-flip-top-washers.htm

Just buy a 4-pack of 16 oz. Grolsch beer (the kind with the white tops). Drink some beer, stretch the washer onto the strap button over your strap, you're set. C'mon, I know I'm not the only one who has heard of this. Do you guys not like these?

NeoConMan, the washers are rubber. They're not going to spontaneously combust. To pohatu771's point, they actually make it difficult to remove the strap even when you want to (which I will concede is the biggest drawback to using washers). I've had the Shaller's fail on stage when I've forgotten to tighten them that night. They come loose when you jump around. Not cool.

Well, I had tightened them as much as anyone could at the last gig two weeks before, played for three hours that night, then during the next gig the nut came loose and flew off. Lucky I was holding onto the neck (With SG's, don't you have to always have a hand on the neck? side topic)

Just saying, I wish Schallers were a little less like Paris Hilton and a little more like Tina Fey.

Sounds like "operator error" to me.

I've had to tighten the nut on the straps for all of my guitars regularly.

Since I have a dedicated strap for many of my guitars and probably 20 straps total, it's something I look at every time I put it on the guitar.

I don't think it's too much to expect, and the results are well worth the effort.

I also don't think it's any more trouble than fumbling with rubber washers.

Is the effect of the alcohol in those bottles a factor here?

I'll admit, I'm pretty hard on things in general, guitars included. I expect things to hold up well, in some cases to an unreasonable extent. Even though a socket wrench (and the appropriate sized socket) is something I have with me at every show, I just don't always remember to tighten strap locks amidst the 50 other things to check off my "remember to do" list for the gig (probably because I am so incredibly wasted all the time, right?). The washers are a good option for me because they're low maintenance (and honestly, they work just fine).

NCM I dig your guitar cabinets. Very cool way to keep you and the wife happy. I've got a similar situation to deal with, albeit on a considerably smaller scale.

Archived