Gibson Brands Forums

WTF??

upl8tr

Before we all spin a main bearing..... The guitar is a legitimate Japanese made Epiphone with a open-book headstock (see image). All the seller did was change the headstock logo to a Gibson logo, and the individual states it as such in the description.

?id=725X1342&site=replica6strings.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Freplica6strings.files.wordpress.com%2F2007%2F12%2Fdsc00857.jpg

No pics' date=' auction ended, although the title of it 'Epiphone Les Paul, Re-Inlaid Rename' says it all.

I can only imagine what sh1te had been produced by the moron that decided to auction it off.[/quote']

No pic's, well try this!

http://my.opera.com/upl8tr/albums/show.dml?id=2377141

show.dml?id=2377141

Or have a look at the Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2S60P63Ts&feature=player_embedded

Before we all spin a main bearing..... The guitar is a legitimate Japanese made Epiphone with a open-book headstock (see image). All the seller did was change the headstock logo to a Gibson logo' date=' and the individual states it as such in the description.

[/quote']

Just what I had in mind.

Just what we needed, mind-reader mods [lol]

No pics' date=' auction ended, although the title of it 'Epiphone Les Paul, Re-Inlaid Rename' says it all.

I can only imagine what sh1te had been produced by the moron that decided to auction it off.[/quote']

No Pic's Eh? try this....

EpiphoneLesPaulstandardFlameRE-INLA.jpg

and these,

Epi-gibbo1.jpg

Epi-gibbo2.jpg

Epi-gibbo3.jpg

Or you could even watch the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2S60P63Ts&feature=player_embedded

Oh, and by the way, the BUYER kept their identity private?

I think before too long someone is going to hear,

Pst, You wanna buy cheep Gibbo? Genuine (i promise!).

[lol]

Before we all spin a main bearing..... The guitar is a legitimate Japanese made Epiphone with a open-book headstock (see image). All the seller did was change the headstock logo to a Gibson logo' date=' and the individual states it as such in the description.[/quote']

Just what I had in mind. ...

Sounds like the kind of justification of those Fake Purse Ninjas use.

As much as I hate seeing people getting ripped off on fake guitars, I dont realy see anything wrong with this.. Like Duane said the seller is not trying to sell it off as anything other than a Epiphone which has been renamed... I didnt know Epiphone did the open book style top to their headstocks.....

I think the guitar in the auction is a nice looking instrument. IMO

When Gibson sits up and does something about the fakes then so will I...

Regards

As much as I hate seeing people getting ripped off on fake guitars' date=' I dont realy see anything wrong with this.. Like Duane said the seller is not trying to sell it off as anything other than a Epiphone which has been renamed... I didnt know Epiphone did the open book style top to their headstocks.....

I think the guitar in the auction is a nice looking instrument. IMO

When Gibson sits up and does something about the fakes then so will I...

Regards[/quote']

Erm – OKAY,

so if I’m understanding you correctly, what you are saying is that this particular guitar forger is a person with a high moral code and integrity, because after he forged a guitar to look like another more expensive brand he advised potential buyers that it was in actual fact a fake and that, as far as you are concerned, is ok?

Well perhaps you are looking at it from the point of view that you did not, and presumably would not have bought it yourself.

However, if you take a moment to look at the big picture you will perhaps be able to see that what you are saying is that forging is ok, as long as no one is being cheated.

Well I would REALLY like you to reply to this post with an explanation of how it is possible to forge anything without someone ultimately being cheated, I mean surely if no one was losing out in some way, there would be absolutely no need to forge anything?

And that in fact is why I mentioned in an earlier post that the BUYER kept their identity secret, if they were open and above board with no intention to rip someone else off why hide their identity.

No, I’m sorry (and I’m not having a personal dig at you) but If you cannot see how this affects every single Gibson owner then I’m afraid that you have to revaluate you own personal value base.

Erm – OKAY' date='

so if I’m understanding you correctly, what you are saying is that this particular guitar forger is a person with a high moral code and integrity, because after he forged a guitar to look like another more expensive brand he advised potential buyers that it was in actual fact a fake and that, as far as you are concerned, is ok?

Well perhaps you are looking at it from the point of view that you did not, and presumably would not have bought it yourself.

However, if you take a moment to look at the big picture you will perhaps be able to see that what you are saying is that forging is ok, as long as no one is being cheated.

Well I would REALLY like you to reply to this post with an explanation of how it is possible to forge anything without someone ultimately being cheated, I mean surely if no one was losing out in some way, there would be absolutely no need to forge anything?

And that in fact is why I mentioned in an earlier post that the BUYER kept their identity secret, if they were open and above board with no intention to rip someone else off why hide their identity.

No, I’m sorry (and I’m not having a personal dig at you) but If you cannot see how this affects every single Gibson owner then I’m afraid that you have to revaluate you own personal value base.

[/quote']

Where am I saying this person is of high moral code?? Please enlighten me!? Its an Epiphone, its says its an Epiphone! It went the same price as an Epiphone oh and Gibson owns Epiphone! Its not an auction selling a fake Gibson LP... What the buyer does with it IS a different story! YOUR post was asking what I thought of it and I told you...

I'm with Flight959.

That said, I don't think this person should be called a forger. Chances are he had the job done for him, cause he wanted that name on the headstock (who doesn't?) and now he has to sell it.

It's a different thing than having the name replaced IN HOPES of decieving people and getting a better price, or having the guitar for a while with the epi logo and then when you have to sell it, ask someone to change the logo so you can pass it off as the real deal.

Completely different situation.

For a japanese epiphone the price was right IMO.

As emo-dem00n would say:

Stop the hatin'

Ok guys,

please excuse my ignorance, I had automatically presumed that EVERYONE on a GIBSON forum would feel exactly the same way I do, which is that copying (Forging whether you like the term or not) is not on, and I can guarantee that any manufacturer who finds fakes of their products will not embrace them and think that it is ok under any circumstances.

In this specific case, it makes no difference that it was an Epi manufactured or owned by the Gibson company, if Gibson wanted to put their logo on it, they would have, but they did not because it is not a Gibson Les Paul, never has been and never will be – Period.

To Flight959, I apologise for assuming that you, along with everyone else who read my post would recognise that I was being facetious, I’ll be more direct in future.

And just to reiterate, I don’t care who made the original guitar, I don’t care if the guy just fancied having the Gibson logo on his guitar (without actually spending the cash on one), I don’t care if he done it to deceive someone into handing over much more than what it worth - or not, what I do care about is that people who manufacture FAKE anything and pass it off as genuine are wrong to do so and in this particular case I do care a lot because his action diminishes the reputation of Gibson guitars for everyone.

I think you will find EVERYONE does share the same views with you, including me. I hate seeing people getting ripped off too as does everyone here. I have trawlled ebay spotting fakes, including other websites such as Gumtree.com and Preloved.co.uk which are totally littered with crap. I have emailed Gibson on countless ocasions to not even get a thanks in return from them. You and me are of no interest to Gibson unless were buying a new Gibson guitar. Gibson gets nothing from the secondhand market.

IMO.. Gibson should take a more proactive stance against fake's and until that happens the product will get abused.

Its a wordwide problem and Gibson needs to address it..

I had a guitar cabinet built last year and I had the Gibson logo CNC'd into the top. I did the honest thing and emailed Gibson before I did this asking for permission.... They didnt even get back to me.

Remember not everyone can afford a Gibson although that is no excuse.

Regards

upl8tr I share your opinion, but we don't know the whole story in here, so I won't call the guy a counterfeiter (yet). At least not in the "motherfu-kin'guitar faking chinaman" way... [cool]

He's just a fool... that's all. My guess is with what he paid for that guitar + luthier job he could have bought the real thing, but, sometimes people do stupid things anyway.

He's not selling it as a Gibson' date=' I see no problem here. People are allowed to modify their own guitars.[/quote']

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I’d like to respond to this, but TBH I’m totally Speechless at this remark?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I’d like to respond to this' date=' but TBH I’m totally Speechless at this remark? [/quote']

Glad you got a good laugh.

what I do care about is that people who manufacture FAKE anything and pass it off as genuine

And the ebay seller is doing this how? It's pretty obvious that he's not passing it off as genuine. The auction title explicitly states 'Epiphone' ffs. You're about as logical as my wife is.

Glad you got a good laugh.

And the ebay seller is doing this how? It's pretty obvious that he's not passing it off as genuine. The auction title explicitly states 'Epiphone' ffs. You're about as logical as my wife is.

Okay, Okay, - you guys win, I was totally wrong the guy did not fake the guitar he just “modified” it and apparently that ok.........as long as you declare it.

Unfortunately, can’t hang about debating it any longer, as I have to go and help a friend “modify” his cars milometer.

I'm 50-50 with this one...

First you have the guy that moded the guitar, probably costed him more than a real gibby... but anyway, he didn't mean no wrong by doing it. It's not a counterfeiter... he isn't selling it as a gibson, he isnt selling lots of the same guitar on ebay. He just want to upgrade his guitar to the real thing.

Then you have the potential buyer. And that's where the problem is. This guy might not have had bad intentions, but the guy buying from him might buy the thing to try and sell it as a gibson ('cause you know, the only difference is the logo [biggrin])

Okay' date=' Okay, - you guys win, I was totally wrong the guy did not fake the guitar he just “modified” it and apparently that ok.........as long as you declare it.

Unfortunately, can’t hang about debating it any longer, as I have to go and help a friend “modify” his cars milometer.

[/quote']

I guess I have to take down and destroy that framed Monet print my wife has hanging in the office. It's not an original... We're lucky we haven't been arrested for owning it.

Okay sarcasm aside, I do mostly agree with you on this. Guitars have a way of hanging around long after their owner moves on (or passes on). So although this guy is being truthful on the origins of this guitar, it doesn't mean the next owner(s) will. I don't think the act of selling this and correctly representing it as an epi is bad. But the act actually de-facing the guitar and re-naming this a Gibson is ethically wrong in my opinion. And I might add it's a bit desperate.

But I doubt we have to worry too much. I didn't see any close up photos of the logo on the headstock which indicates to me the results were not that good. If that's the case I doubt anyone will be fooled.

But I doubt we have to worry too much. I didn't see any close up photos of the logo on the headstock which indicates to me the results were not that good. If that's the case I doubt anyone will be fooled.

Yes' date='

your probably right there, however if you had seen the video then you'd have saw that the logo did actually look ok, although there was no real close up.

And judging by the fake, (modified, altered, customised, replicated, cloned - whatever) case that he recently sold on eBay there likely isn’t that much to worry potential buyers.

[img']http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae119/upl8tr/gibbocase1002101.jpg[/img]

gibbocase1002102.jpg

Archived