Gibson Brands Forums

WTF??

upl8tr

Well, IMO this "changing the logo on the headstock"-thing is a problem.

This seller is being "honest", but somewhere down the line, someone is probably going to be taken.

Just recently I saw a similar auction for a guitar with a Gibson logo. It wasn't a Gibson, but the seller was selling it as a Gibson. I notified eBay, and the auction was canceled.

A day later, the seller started a new auction for the same guitar. This time he claimed it was an Epiphone with a Gibson logo. The only problem is: It wasn't an Epiphone either! I notified eBay once again, but they let the auction run.

Someone bought the guitar for 250 EURO. I waited until the buyer gave feedback (until then I couldn't see his identity) and told him he had bought a fake. He had the guitar checked out by a dealer: I was right. It wasn't an Epiphone. It's some undefinable, no brand, no name Chinese something.

The biggest problem with these guitars with changed logos is that it's usually the younger players who get taken.

Well' date=' IMO this "changing the logo on the headstock"-thing is a problem.

[b']This[/b] seller is being "honest", but somewhere down the line, someone is probably going to be taken.

Just recently I saw a similar auction for a guitar with a Gibson logo. It wasn't a Gibson, but the seller was selling it as a Gibson. I notified eBay, and the auction was canceled.

A day later, the seller started a new auction for the same guitar. This time he claimed it was an Epiphone with a Gibson logo. The only problem is: It wasn't an Epiphone either! I notified eBay once again, but they let the auction run.

Someone bought the guitar for 250 EURO. I waited until the buyer gave feedback (until then I couldn't see his identity) and told him he had bought a fake. He had the guitar checked out by a dealer: I was right. It wasn't an Epiphone. It's some undefinable, no brand, no name Chinese something.

The biggest problem with these guitars with changed logos is that it's usually the younger players who get taken.

Hi freak show,

Glad to have you on board, i was getting really tired rowing this boat myself! (LOL)

The thing is, I’ve been growing increasingly frustrated by the apathetic viewpoints of most (not all) of the replies to my post and alarmed at the partisan views held by most of the others who seem unable to understand or plainly refuse to believe, that in its most basic sense, cheating is cheating and somewhere along the line someone is going to lose out.

I also agree wholeheartedly with you, that it will almost certainly be a person new to Gibson that ends up paying real Gibson money for this fake guitar and as I have tried to explain in previous posts this diminishes the Gibson reputation for everyone!

But everyone is entitled to their own view (as long as they are not the one’s being ripped off, of course) and it would appear you and me are in the minority on this one.

Regs, Upl8tr.

Hi Guys,

It would appear that a lot more people than I thought were of the same opinion as me, but had not yet posted a reply.

I'm glad you have started now, as I was getting frustrated at the amount of the replies like this;

fake = someone calling an epiphone an gibson with new logo

not a fake = some calling the epiphone and epiphone with a new logo.

So now I can reply;

New replies to my post = Faith restored!

(Smug Mode)

lol.

Hi Guys' date='

It would appear that a lot more people than I thought were of the same opinion as me, but had not yet posted a reply.

I'm glad you have started now, as I was getting frustrated at the amount of the replies like this;

fake = someone calling an epiphone an gibson with new logo

not a fake = some calling the epiphone and epiphone with a new logo.

So now I can reply;

New replies to my post = Faith restored!

(Smug Mode)

lol.

[/quote']

opinions m8 [drool]

Actually, this has nothing to do with "Freedom of Speech" or "opinions".

Representing a product as something it is not is illegal. I don't know how the laws are in Norway, but I imagine that if I were to buy a bottle that said "beer" on it, there would be beer in the bottle and not fish piss.

One aspect of the situation we haven't discussed is "Why would someone put a Gibson-logo on an Epiphone, if it isn't to deceive a buyer?"

The only other reason I can think of is: The owner is ashamed to play an Epiphone and can't afford a Gibson.

It reminds me of a story a tailor told me once: A guy had come to him and asked that he sew an Armani-label in a cheap suit. This person didn't want to sell the suit. He just wanted others to think it was from Armani.

IMO only a loser would do something like that...

Although the auction is for a legit Epi with the open bookmark headstock, with the modification to include the Gibson logo is be definition a fake period. The person selling is upfront and as honest as one can be with dealing with said guitar but, it doesn't deter from the fact that he is in copyright violation. So IMO he's committing a crime whether he's honest in his phrasing or not.

The person selling is upfront and as honest as one can be with dealing with said guitar but' date=' it doesn't deter from the fact that he is in copyright violation. So IMO he's committing a crime whether he's honest in his phrasing or not. [/quote']

So because I used the Gibson logo/trademark on my guitar case im a Criminal? The case isnt made by Gibson, isnt sold by Gibson and has nothing to do with Gibson... letterstop.jpg.

Cab.jpg

Best I hand myself in then!

So because I used the Gibson logo/trademark on my guitar case im a Criminal? The case isnt made by Gibson' date=' isnt sold by Gibson and has nothing to do with Gibson...

Best I hand myself in then!

[/quote']

Listen flight959,

Do yourself a favour and don’t get you knickers in a twist by confusing what is being said here, at the minute you are comparing apples and oranges.

Your guitar case is a Very Nice piece of art work or furniture, depending on your own definition and would be of absolutely no interest to the Gibson company any more than someone taking a picture of a Gibson guitar and hanging it on their wall (or posting it here) your guitar case is a unique custom built unit made to house your Gibson Guitars and bears the Gibson Logo to signify as much – end of story.

Now, if we see your guitar case on eBay, saying that Gibson made it, then that’s a different story which hopefully you understand clearly now.

So because I used the Gibson logo/trademark on my guitar case i'm a Criminal? The case isnt made by Gibson' date=' isnt sold by Gibson and has nothing to do with Gibson...

[b']Best I hand myself in then![/b]

Yup, that's exactly right. Hand yourself in!

And I'll be confiscating that "illegal contraband" there!

That is a beautiful piece of work!!!

:-k

Listen flight959' date='

Do yourself a favour and don’t get you knickers in a twist by confusing what is being said here, at the minute you are comparing apples and oranges.

Your guitar case is a Very Nice piece of art work or furniture, depending on your own definition and would be of absolutely no interest to the Gibson company any more than someone taking a picture of a Gibson guitar and hanging it on their wall (or posting it here) your guitar case is a unique custom built unit made to house your Gibson Guitars and bears the Gibson Logo to signify as much – end of story.

Now, if we see your guitar case on eBay, saying that Gibson made it, then that’s a different story which hopefully you understand clearly now.

[/quote']

Knickers in a twist.... I dont think so...

You started this thread asking what people thought, They gave you their opinions and you wont let it go... I couldn't give two hoots.... I stand by what I said... The guy in that auction owns that guitar so he can do what the f**k he likes too it... If the guy buying it has ill intentions then thats a differernt story! but then that's not what you were asking...

With time im sure you will get over it...

Regards

Now' date=' if we see your guitar case on eBay, saying that Gibson made it, then that’s a different story which hopefully you understand clearly now.

[/quote']

I dont see a Epiphone being sold as a Gibson.... See my point!?

Flight.. technically yes, you are in copy right infringement with your display case, unless you wrote Gibson; told them what you wished to do and they signed off on it.

Now chances of Gibson's lawyers chasing you down with Dog the Bounty Hunter is highly unlikely unless you decided to start making these for sale and they did not get any royalty residuals from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

A trademark or trade mark[1] is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization, or other legal entity to identify that the products or services to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities.

A trademark is designated by the following symbols:

™ (for an Unregistered trade mark, that is, a mark used to promote or brand goods)

? (for an unregistered service mark, that is, a mark used to promote or brand services)

® (for a registered trademark)

A trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically a name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements

Even though the seller admits its not a true Gibson there is an implied deceit with the use of a registered trade mark

Eracer_Team

I know I have breached copyright rules (I never said I hadn't), however when I obtained the PDF of the Gibson logo there were two conditions to using it.... One was that the logo wasn't changed or defaced from its original appearance and the second was to seek permission to use the logo...

Both of which I complied with, however Gibson after contacting them on various emails including the email that published with the logo failed to respond..... So I went ahead anyway...

The guy selling this guitar has no intention of deception and like I have already said what happens after it has left his hands is another story....

Its a shame that the smiley with the brick wall has gone....

Regards

Listen flight959' date='

[/quote']

this tread is about putting "Gibson" on something that aint Gibson. right?

Listen flight959' date='

[/quote']

If Gibson was making the same product you would be a counterfeiter. Since they don't, you've got a 'novelty'.

this tread is about putting "Gibson" on something that aint Gibson. right?

Wrong,

this thread is about putting the Gibson Logo on a guitar that is not in actual fact a Gibson, creating a fake Gibson.

I hope this helps clear things up for you.

Hi all,

Just thought i'd add these as extra fuel for the fire, :-k

The buyer does not look like someone who is above board to me.

Seller

FakeGiboBuyer3.jpg

Buyer

FakeGiboBuyer1.jpg

If he is above board then there would be absolutely no reason to keep the sale private, as you can see he didn't do so with any of the other auctions.

Wrong' date='

this thread is about putting the Gibson Logo on a guitar that is not in actual fact a Gibson, creating a fake Gibson.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. [/quote']

it wasnt wrong. it was as clear as you wrote that you wrote yourself :-k i could write why, but then i would act like an smartass and go totaly off-topic [biggrin]

Archived