Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Outlier73

Looking at first LP - advice?

So I've held off on an LP for a really long time (mostly for pricing) but I'm thinking about selling my first strat and picking up an LP or PRS. I love the look of the Gibson LP but then I ran across a few late 90's Les Pauls double cut standards and I was blown away.

I love the way they look but of course I've never played one. Anyone have an opinion on the LP double cuts? How do they play? (generally) Do they sound like standard Les Paul's? I believe they are chambered, or at least some of them are. Besides weight, does that have any negative impact on sound?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. I have never played a LP Standard double cutaway, so I can't comment on the sound. As nice as they look I just really prefer the traditional single cutaway Les Paul. But if you try a double cutaway and it sings to you . . . . then go for it.

I can't say I'm looking for extreme upper fret access. I really just love the look of it. I like the single cut Les Paul look, but the double cut looks HOT to me. Also it's slightly unique (less common) But I've never played one or heard one in person, so I can't say outside of aesthetics it sings to me.

Maybe because I've owned nothing by strats (except a cheap fake SG years back) I'm stuck on the double cut??? I was actually leaning toward a PRS when I saw the les paul double cut. Now I'm all worked up over it. it's a real Gibson Les Paul with the look I really like, and somewhat unique.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is, If I'm going to spend the money for a Gibson Les Paul, I want to make sure it's going to sound like a Gibson Les Paul - and that it is a quality guitar. (for example, there is a lot of negative press on the 83 2 knob strat. They are okay guitars, but I wouldn't want to spend big bucks on one only to find out it's worth less than an 82 strat.

Double cuts are really nice. I think the one in current production is a Special with P90s on it.

If you buy used you should be able to find a Standard with buckers.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=les+paul+double+cut&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=les+paul+double-cutaway&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Guitar&_odkw=les+paul+double-cut&_osacat=0

Hey man,

Yes, I have played one that's been hanging at my buddy's music store. I love the slim 60's neck profile, the high-note access, the color (it's a non-burst deep red-dish, on a flame maple top), the way it balances (no comparison to SGs for example) and the fact that it's a less common axe. My only disagreement, is that they shouldn't be named ''Les Pauls'', but that's just personal thing.

Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone, it's a great axe but I would urge someone to play it and feel it for himself. A guitar is a very personal thing.

good luck man.

Hey man' date='

Yes, I have played one that's been hanging at my buddy's music store. I love the slim 60's neck profile, the high-note access, the color (it's a non-burst deep red-dish, on a flame maple top), the way it balances (no comparison to SGs for example) and the fact that it's a less common axe. My only disagreement, is that they shouldn't be named ''Les Pauls'', but that's just personal thing.

Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone, it's a great axe but I would urge someone to play it and feel it for himself. A guitar is a very personal thing.

good luck man. [/quote']

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I've never seen one in a guitar shop so I haven't been able to play one.

But you don't think they should call them Les Pauls? I like that they are an alternate version of a Les Paul and different versions are available to suite everyone's tastes. But I think I see your point. It wasn't exactly Les Paul's original design. And they could have easily just called this one a new model.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback. I'm going to look around for a while to see if I can find one locally so I can play it.

Thanks! I've heard that, but only recently. I've heard they can even break in the case if the fall on the headstock. Actually I started worrying about my Taylor and keeping it stored in it's case laying down.

Can anyone give me an opinion on this guitar? http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/bal704/LPDC/

Seems there is separation of the top and glue is cracking off. Is this a major problem? Or cosmetic? Can it be repaired of do I want to stay away? Oh... one more question - Is it a legit Gibson? (as stated I'm very new to Gibson and don't know how to spot a fake.)

Thanks again!

So I've held off on an LP for a really long time (mostly for pricing) but I'm thinking about selling my first strat and picking up an LP or PRS. I love the look of the Gibson LP but then I ran across a few late 90's Les Pauls double cut standards and I was blown away.

I love the way they look but of course I've never played one. Anyone have an opinion on the LP double cuts? How do they play? (generally) Do they sound like standard Les Paul's? I believe they are chambered' date=' or at least some of them are. Besides weight, does that have any negative impact on sound?

Thanks in advance![/quote']

keep in mind, although the dc's do look great, sound great and are a great value for your dollar especially used, they will not hold their resale value like a standard lp. I would definately suggest buying used, you can pick up a great lp standard for around $1200 compared to the $2600 for a new one, also, under no circumstances should you buy a studio les paul, although great guitars, you will just want to upgrade from there.

Outlier73,

The pictures of the guitar from your post #11 is indeed a Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut. I am 99 percent sure it is chambered and has the 490R/498T pickup combination along with the 60's slim taper neck. It looks like a 2003 or 2004 model.

I have a 2000 Gibson LP Standard Lite. It is a chambered double cut with 492R/'57T pickups and is a very sweet sounding guitar - a real tone monster! The neck is a '59 asymmetrical which seems to be slightly flatter than a 60's neck. The double cut allows easy access all the way up to the 24th fret (yes, 24 frets). I am the original owner. This particular guitar was only made with these specifications for one or two years, then Gibson changed the name of the model (to Standard Double Cut) and installed different pickups along with adding neck binding. I also tried out a later version of this guitar with the 490R/498T pickups and thought it sounded way too muddy for my tastes.

The chambered body definitely adds resonance and sustain to the sound, but ultimately it depends on what you want. If at all possible, I would try to play one and see if you like it.

Definitely buy a DC. It is 100% Les Paul in tone.

There are two kinds basically...you can tell by the body style the way the body meets the neck, and the fact that the older style ones have 24 frets rather than 22. because of this, the neck pickup is closer to the bridge so it sounds different to one on a 22 fret neck. I think both designs were chambered.

They made some DCs with really amazing flame maple tops, so take a good look around till you find one that's awesome and if you can play it first obviously that's the only way to go for most folks around here.