Gibson Brands Forums

1958 Les Paul VOS

Garcia

Good afternoon,

I had a few questions for all of you regarding the R8, OK... actually several.

If you could kindly share your thoughts about what you can, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are the production years similar, or the same?

Have they made advances in how accurate the reproductions are, etc.

Does anyone know how many R8's they make every year?

When did they start producing the R series?

What's the most common color? Most uncommon color produced?

Which color is most sought after?

Is it considered un-cool to mod these guitars? Should they be left as is?

Whats kind of mods have you all done to your R8's?

Do you have any mod recommendations? Links?

If you changed your coils, what did you go with? Why?

Does anyone here own a 2010 R8?

Are there any major changes or differences between the 2010 Reissues and previous years?

I know, that's a lot, but thank you for taking the time to answer what you can!

Good afternoon' date='

I had a few questions for all of you regarding the R8, OK... actually several.

If you could kindly share your thoughts about what you can, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Which color is most sought after?

If you changed your coils, what did you go with? Why?

Does anyone here own a 2010 R8?

Are there any major changes or differences between the 2010 Reissues and previous years?

I know, that's a lot, but thank you for taking the time to answer what you can!

[/quote']

Mine is a 2006.

Mine is as close as Gibson could come, today.

Hell no.

When sales of Classics died. I dunno.

Standardburst, Desert and Honeybursts.

Ditto, probably

Yes. They are solid body bears that sound like 50ies Pauls sounded; why buy one to ruin the original Les Paul sound?

None

No

N/a

dunno

dunno. Company is slipping. Try some out.

You forgot to ask about the weight and neck. One ton. R8 neck is a comfortable club. I spent a year researching and hunting 'til I found the Les Paul sound of my original memory. Ask Raptor and Lewis1952. It was and remains the R8 VOS, I purchased in 06. The finish and hardware on mine polished right up. But, the sound has never budged from the real McCoy as is. Suggest you leave the bees as they come. Nothing is closer to the originals.

Good luck.

Well, I did it guys..... (Woooo-hoooo!) I took the giant leap and finally bought the guitar I always wanted and dreamed for. I purchased a brand new 2010 Gibson 1958 Les Paul VOS in a stunning, mouth watering Lemonburst. I also picked up RS pots, Luxe Bumblebee's and (drum roll please....) custom wound Wolfetone Marshallhead's with Alnico 2 magnets for a little added warmth. I haven't done the mod yet. I'm going to wait another couple weeks or so and play it as is a bit more then carefully do the swap. I'm going to box everything up nicely and tuck it away in the closet just in case I should want to bring it back to factory build later in the future. But for now with these upgrades (my little dream team of components) I think I'm going to be REALLY pleased! I'll post some real pictures soon, promise. In the mean time, here are pictures on my guitar taken by the wonderful retailer I acquired it from.

http://gallery.me.com/pajaitken#100037

BTW, this in no way means that I no longer want my questions answered and you all, my new friends to share your experiences & knowledge with me... I like to know as much as I can about my guitars, and what others are doing with theirs. Thanks again for all the input thus far!

Thank you kindly.

Hall Groper, WTF was that? ;)

2003 - 2008 were all the same. 2009 got a refresh. 2009, 2010, and probably the next 5 years will be the same.

Yes, but they'll never be identical to the originals. Read these.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139795

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164721

No, Gibson doesn't release production numbers but in the past couple years they've probably made 2,000+ R8s/year.

1993 for the historic line. They made reissues before that but those are referred to as pre-historic. Pre-historics are a little different and not as historically accurate (if you care about that).

Washed Cherry, Iced Tea, Faded Tobacco. Those colours the other guy mentioned aren't even Custom Shop colours.

No, mod it if you want it to sound better.

Wolfetone Marshallheads, CTS pots, Luxe Bees. The Bees that originally came with your R8 are fake Bees. They just look the part but they're not real paper in oil caps. Often referred to as tone suckers.

Yes, try joining My Les Paul and/or the Les Paul Forum. There's no info at this forum, in comparison.

Google "Les Paul 101".

• 7 months later...

I just purchased my baby a couple of weeks ago and I love it. Mine's a 2010 in iced tea, although the pics give it a sunburst look. I just love it. Since I bought it used off of CL I'm going to take it to my local luthier and give it a tune-up. Does anyone have suggestions on good strings at a reasonable price? I don't know if this matters, but I've only been playing since February and it's just a personal hobby. It's not like I'm joining a band and going on tour or anything like that. Thanks in adavance!!

post-26545-019813000 1287927656_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I try my best in English.

About your question regarding the production this might be of your interessed.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Built%20by%20Humans,%20Perfected%20by/

Anyone know were i can find info about my guitar, im the first owner but i never looked up my serial number before.

It´s an LPR8P VOS 60´s neck serial nr 80863. I think thats the right way to type it in Gibson language. [unsure]

Hope anyone can help out!

Regards!

Archived