Gibson Brands Forums

Breaking Strings

daveinspain

I broke 3 strings today practicing, and one yesterday...[laugh] One of the three from today broke when I was putting it on so maybe that doesn't count but I never brake strings and all of the sudden the're poppin' like crazy.... I have been playing a lot more lately since I joined my band so that may have something to do with it. Do you guys break a lot of strings?

I've very, very seldom broken strings.

I did break some when I was doing country gigs with very light strings - 8-38 - on a solidbody. They weren't breaking at the bridge, btw. It was that Guild solidbody "sg" and it has functionally a tunamatic sorta bridge but with little rollers 'stedda a sharper "v" at the top.

I may be wrong, but yeah, I think lighter strings especially, then with a relatively heavy attack. One might question whether the strings are "old" enough to have a degree of wear/bending/metal fatigue that makes the steel brittle.

Some of that latter may have the brand/type of steel as a variable.

I didn't break 'em, but I about dropped my teeth when I was deciding which guitar to use for a gig a cupla months ago and discovered the 8-38s on that solidbody were so "dented" from the frets - and I have a relatively gentle left hand and I do pretty much only fingerpick nowadays. Yup, the strings literally were "bent" at each fret from my left hand. Yup, they were sounding a bit ... odd.

When you play with a flatpick by yourself, btw, you have more direct audio feedback as well as tactile feedback. When you're playing with others...

m

Never broken a string, except for once when I first got my guitar, and had a shitty tuner that broke and said it was flat. Being young and stupid, and not knowing what to do, I kept cranking until it said it was in tune. In tune, was when the string snapped and cut me across the cheek.

I don't break a string very often at all, but a couple of months ago I did break a string on my telecaster. The good thing was it was the very last note of the very last song! The bad thing was that when you break a string on a telecaster the string ferrule often drops out. I was driving home from the gig and suddenly thought "I wonder if I lost a ferrule". I stopped and checked and sure enough it was gone. Now I travel with a spare set of string ferrules for my telecaster.

i play hard and used to break strings all the time. then' date=' i got me some graphite saddles and haven't broken any since....[/quote']

I popped in the graphite saddles & STILL broke strings (a little less, but damn) -- then I started using FAST FRET. No more breaky.

fast%20fret.jpg

Archived