Gibson Brands Forums

"Classic White" finish question - I've got chips

GrantFM

Hi, new to this, first post etc... Did some keyword searching on the forum for about 15 minutes and didn't find anything addressing this issue so please let me know if you recall a conversation where this was addressed and where I can find it.

I fully admit, I'm rough on things. I have a policy against buying something new when I can easily get it used / I hate the idea of a new car. I have been checking Craigslist locally (want to play it before I buy, so Ebay is out of the question) for the last year hoping to see a white SG standard up for sale. Nothing. I finally got some cash saved up and threw in the towel, bought a new "classic white" SG standard at Guitar Center Tuesday night. Last night at band practice, I must have bumped into the straight (non-boom) mic stand while singing and now I've got two relatively small paint chips on the lower horn. Incredibly pissed at myself. If this happened a year or two from now, no big deal, but on day 1?? AGH!!! Don't even know exactly when it happened, so the hit couldn't have been too hard.

In addition to this new ’09 SG standard in classic white, I also have a ’96 SG standard in heritage cherry. I’m sure I’ve bumped into the same mic stand in the same way with my heritage cherry, yet it shows no chips on the lower horn like the classic white one does. Are the finishes different besides color? They’re both nitro’s right? I was looking on Musician’sFriend.com and Gibson.com. MF.com lists the classic white finish as “Full gloss classic white lacquer” and Gibson.com lists the Heritage Cherry just as a nitro finish. The fact that MF.com doesn’t explicitly state the “classic white” is a “nitrocellulose finish” is causing me to pose this question to you: Back in the 90’s, was Gibson using a different type of finish than they currently do on new SG’s? Was it a thicker nitro? Was it (gasp!) a poly? Or maybe, even today, there’s just something different about the heritage cherry and the classic white finishes? I’m just trying to figure out white the classic white is being so goddamn touchy.

I don't have pictures taken yet.

So, I took the guitar to a reputable local vintage guitar shop this evening (www.williesguitars.com) to have them check it out. They told me the very small neck crack you see in the first picture below by the nut might become a warranty issue in the future but it's totally fine for now:

whitesgneckline.jpg

They thought it was shipping damage, seen it on other Gibsons. Also possible it's a result of the guitar getting too much dry heat at some point.

As far as my own stupidity in bumping into the mic stand on the first fricken day I really played it, they eased my mind saying they've got guys who can fix these chips for about $100 or less. I'm not going to get them fixed, as I'm fine with some character, but it just sucks this happened on day 1. A year or two from now this would be no big deal.

These white finishes are so touchy compared to the heritage cherry!

whitesgchips2.jpg

Haven't even taken the plastic off the pick guard yet! Agh!!!

whitesgchips1.jpg

Sorry to hear about the quick ding.

I'm not really up on Gibson's nitro mix, but I think I've read somewhere that they've tinkered with their mix, in the recent past, to make it a bit more flexible (cut down on checking). They've also been using a thinner finish on some of their guitars (advertising and listing it as spec), although I'm not sure if the SG standard is one.

That neck crack is bothersome. Gibson has had an issue with cracks like that up and down the fretboard edge - improper drying of the fretboard wood before construction. On some specimens, beside the seam cracks, the fret ends pop out a bit, as well as the side dot markes. Other's have posted about the issue on this forum. I like to think I'm not too picky, but on a new guitar, I would've exchanged it for an issue like that crack.

Thanks for the info BK. Yeah, I didn't notice the tiny crack until I got it home late Tuesday night. Then had practice Wednesday where I was incredibly stupid and nicked the lower horn. (Took a reeeeeeal close look at my heritage cherry standard and it has a smaller, but similar nick. You just can't see it well because the wood is stained underneath the finish, not a completely different color like on the classic white). Due to my own stupidity with the horn, I guess I can't reasonably expect them to allow a return based on the legitimate issue that's not my fault (the neck). Bad timing.

Hey I dig your modded melody maker. Did you do that yourself? Semi-related question, I'm selling this for a family friend: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/1628179513.html

Considering it's beat up, am I way off base on price? It's had zero bites for the last two months as I've gradually come down from an ambitious $1,100 to $800.

Transparent finishes are much thinner by the simple fact that they really only tint the wood.

The white is intended to fully cover the wood grain, and is thicker in addition to containing more pigment.

The thickness gives it some structural strength, what I would call bridging ability.

On the other hand, it won't flex as easily.

With enough force, it will simply break apart like what you've seen.

Sorry about the first ding being so soon, I know that sucks.

... Hey I dig your modded melody maker. Did you do that yourself? Semi-related question' date=' I'm selling this for a family friend: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/1628179513.html

Considering it's beat up, am I way off base on price? It's had zero bites for the last two months as I've gradually come down from an ambitious $1,100 to $800.

Yep, I modded my 65 MM myself back in the 70s (à la Townsend's LP setups of that period). Thanks.

Your friend's MM looks all original. Can the sticker on the back be removed without damaging the finish? $1,100 is a decent price for one in a bit better condition, and definitely without the sticker. You probably would have better luck at $800 on ebay.

Don't worry, I had my AJ out of the case for about 15 mins before I bashed it into one of the case buckles ( don't ever , ever leave an open guitar case behind you on a bed ) got a nice little dent for my carelessness.

Archived