Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry Explorer

CoCaExplorer

Hey guys,

I was looking at a few different Red Explorers, and I found one at Musician's Friend which is (Heritage Cherry), but when compared to the picture of the Cherry Explorer on the Gibson website it is obviously different in appearance, the Gibson site shows a wooden like characteristic, and the Musician's Friend displays a very different type.

What should I be looking for if I am trying to get the one displayed on the Gibson site?

The finish on Gibson's website is closer to what you'll actualy get. The picture on Musicians Friend.com is not a very good photo. Gibson's cherry finish is a see through finish that accents the grain in the wood.

If you want a better picture of what a cherry finish looks like. Go to Sweetwater.com's "Guitar Gallery" and look at the SG's, it's the same finish on the same wood. They post photos of the actual guitars they have in stock. I don't remember seeing a cherry explorer last time I was there but it dosen't hurt to look.

Caution! you may start drooling when looking at the guitars on this site.

Sometimes on musiciansfirend they don't have a photo of a particular color, so they take an existing photo (in this case, maybe a white Explorer?) and color it in photoshop. If the one they start with isn't woodgrain, then you won't see grain in any of them.

*** I just took a look at their website and this is exactly what has happened. If you open the window to view all the Explorer photos and use the "next" button to flick between the different finishes, you'll notice that the cherry, black, and white ones are the exact same photo (photos 2, 3, and 4). Every reflection and shadow is identical (look at the tuners for example). If you go to photo 5 (the natural/woodgrain finish) you can tell immediately it's a different photo. I remember this when I was looking at an SG Junior a while back.

• 1 month later...

Archived