Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to find a song

Gilliangirl

Any country fans know a song about a guy who works the rodeo and rides a horse (I think) called White Lightening? I know, I know, I need to narrow it down more haha

They just played this song on the radio and it's got this really neat little guitar riff in it but I couldn't get it all while it was playing so now I'm on a hunt for the song. The radio station does not have a playlist posted on their website so I'm whooped! I tried calling the station but the phone just keeps ringing and ringing. The song is something about a guy who rides the rodeo and I think gets injured but still thinks it's the best seat in the house to be in the rodeo. I didn't listen too hard to the lyrics because I was concentrating on the guitar, figuring the DJ would announce the artist. But he didn't! Now I'm obsessed [crying]

Oh well..... A few weeks ago I was possessed.

Glad that's over..... (I hope)

(sorry' date=' can't help ya with the song)

[/quote']

OMG Kermie...... do we need to do an exorcism for you? I can bring a bullet and some boiling water!

Oh wait, I think that's the recipe for when you're pregnant. Hmmmm, let me think on this awhile.

Email/Call radio station. Date and time of the song and see if they have the play list.

I did that so hopefully by the time someone gets the email' date=' they'll still have the list from the weekend. No one's answering the phone over there! The station is Q91 in Drumheller Alberta! [biggrin

Karen...

I dunno' date=' but you might checking a Chris Ledoux web site or for Chris' lyrics to find what you're looking for.

Sounds kinda like something he would have written.

m

[/quote']

Milod I don't know Chris Ledoux but you can be sure I'm going to check that out as I'm always on the hunt for new stuff. Thank you!

Hiya -- just a thought -- was it a guy or a girl on vocals? Mary Chapin Carpenter has "Heroes and Heroines" -- not one of her hits' date=' but it has some of the references you mention, and her guit runs are sweet...

Hope this helps..

[/quote']

Hi Firelight, it was a guy singing the song. He was a rodeo star and claimed being in the rodeo was the best seat in the house. I have a few Mary CC songs on my hard drive. She is wonderful!

karen...

Just go to Youtube and do a search.

Or - and I just found this from a quick "google' date='"

http://www.uulyrics.com/music/chris-ledoux/

m[/quote']

OMG!! He's amazing!!! How have I not heard this guy before now?? I've been listening to Tougher Than The Rest for the last 20 minutes LOL I like Springsteen's version but the guitar in Ledoux's version practically cries, it's beautiful. I just checked him out on Wiki and he passed away in March 2005. What a shame.

It is very possible that the song I heard was by this guy so I have my work cut out for me as he released 36 albums! [blush]

This guy is the real deal. Thank you Milod

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Karen...

You gotta figure a cupla things. <grin> I used to live just up the road from Chris toward the end of his highway, there's a kinda regional "rodeo cowboy" gang that I hang around the edges of, and most of 'em pick some too. I stlll live in the general area, but you know what I mean when I tell you it's about a 4+ hour drive to Kaycee but consider it "in the area."

Rodeo riders turned singers? What the heck, up your way Ivan Daines did a lotta music. Ian T. learned to pick supposedly when he broke a leg riding.

Marvin Garrett is four-time world champ, and he picks some; his son Weston also rides and told me the other day he picked for a wedding a month or so ago. Watch for Marvin's "Rough Stock Challenge" on cable, btw. It's kinda a "bullerama" but with saddle and bareback bronc riding as well as bulls.

You might be interested also in Chris' "Life's a highway," but one o' my favorites is "five dollar fine for whinin'" and another is, of course, "hooked on an eight-second ride." Garth Brooks did the "good ride, cowboy" as a Chris tribute.

Western Underground still is pickin. This spring they'll play a bit at the dedication of a statue of Chris in Kaycee, Wyo.

m

Could it be Paul Davis' classic Ride 'Em Cowboy...although it involves a horse named Midnight towards the end. Whatever...its a cool song and one I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Here's a link on YouTube:

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Jeff, it wasn't Paul Davis but I do remember him. I was 14 when that song came out!!

Well the radio station must keep their playlists because the girl just got back to me. The song was called The Old Bronc Saddle by a guy named Allen Christie, who looks to be a local guy??? I found it on Amazon, if you're interested in hearing the song that possessed me all weekend haha [biggrin]

It's the third song on the playlist, and, lucky for me, the little riff is in the 30 second clip! Should be fairly easy to do now....

The Old Bronc Saddle

Karen...

Glad you found what you were looking for - and glad you discovered Chris.

m

Thanks Milod! I'm glad I discovered Chris L too. That'll keep me going for awhile!

I just found this Allen Christie guy's Myspace page. The guy lives in Caroline Alberta. Talk about a small world. I've never heard of him. The Old Bronc Saddle song is here too.

http://www.myspace.com/allen_christie

karen...

I finally listened in - and to some of the other stuff from Christie.

What struck me is the similarity to stuff you hear with Tyson - to the point I'm almost wondering if there's kinda an "Alberta style" of flatpickin' the "western" side of "country western."

And as I'll wager you might guess, that ain't no insult in the slightest.

m

Archived