Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio

stephenc

Hey everyone, I just got my first Gibson, Les Paul Studio, brown unfinished - love it.

Can someone give me some hints or tips and tricks for the dual tone and volume, I had a ESP M-II that only had a volume pot and toggle switch and EMG active pickups.

I love the LP model sounds great but would like to learn more or get some tips from Gibson players to find out how to really learn how to dial in the right sounds.

thanks

Welcome and congratz on your new LP.

I'm not sure if yours has Burst Bucker Pro p/u's or 490R/498T

You'll have to fool around with the tones and toggle to find what you like. My Studio has the 490/498s. I'll share some of my thoughts, which other people may or may-not agree with:

The neck or Rythym p/u can be dark, so usually the tone on that one is set all the way to 8-10. Unless you are playing some single note lines and really want the "woman tone", then roll the treble off too.

The middle position is great for arpegios IMO. Very airy, bell-like sound.

The treble or bridge position is very versatile IMO. Of course it's great for high gain rock, but I also use it a lot for rythym and clean playing.

Welcome and congratz on your new LP.

I'm not sure if yours has Burst Bucker Pro p/u's or 490R/498T

You'll have to fool around with the tones and toggle to find what you like. My Studio has the 490/498s. I'll share some of my thoughts' date=' which other people may or may-not agree with:

The neck or Rythym p/u can be dark, so usually the tone on that one is set all the way to 8-10. Unless you are playing some single note lines and really want the "woman tone", then roll the treble off too.

The middle position is great for arpegios IMO. Very airy, bell-like sound.

The treble or bridge position is very versatile IMO. Of course it's great for high gain rock, but I also use it a lot for rythym and clean playing.[/quote']

I upgraded the pots and caps in my 490R/498T studio, and I still find that the neck p/u is kinda muddy

the 498T with the M Tone past 6, and the Volume on 10, I swear the guitar sings, the tone is crunchy trebly, awesome

I want to change the 490 though...Its a little dark sounding for my taste...even with everything on 10

Thank you Saturn and gibsonlespaul1319. So far I have not had alot of time to play it today sadly but got caught up in the Big 12 Championship (KU rocks) Anyway, I think it's the 490/498's on it. It's been a while since I have had tone nobs, I have done everything with effects but want to get more from the guitar then just effects, i played it at the store for about 40 to 50 minutes and I loved the sound with no distortion or anything. I think the trick will be getting my Amp setup better and playing with the tone over time. I appreciate the help and will report back some finding's that i discover. Also I have to keep reminding myself daily tone is in the hands more so then the guitar. it feels great and while I loved my ESP M-II I love the LP alot more. It's been the sound I love and my ESP just could not produce that tone.

Keep playing

Thank you Saturn and gibsonlespaul1319. So far I have not had alot of time to play it today sadly but got caught up in the Big 12 Championship (KU rocks) Anyway' date=' I think it's the 490/498's on it. It's been a while since I have had tone nobs, I have done everything with effects but want to get more from the guitar then just effects, i played it at the store for about 40 to 50 minutes and I loved the sound with no distortion or anything. I think the trick will be getting my Amp setup better and playing with the tone over time. I appreciate the help and will report back some finding's that i discover. Also I have to keep reminding myself daily tone is in the hands more so then the guitar. it feels great and while I loved my ESP M-II I love the LP alot more. It's been the sound I love and my ESP just could not produce that tone.

Keep playing [/quote']

What amp are you using?

Hey everyone' date=' I just got my first Gibson, Les Paul Studio, brown unfinished - love it.

Can someone give me some hints or tips and tricks for the dual tone and volume, I had a ESP M-II that only had a volume pot and toggle switch and EMG active pickups.

I love the LP model sounds great but would like to learn more or get some tips from Gibson players to find out how to really learn how to dial in the right sounds.

thanks[/quote']

I believe that has BB pros in it...should post some pics [biggrin]

Good job! Studio is a fantastic guitar...i've had several.

The BB Pros are on my Standards...great pickups for just about any purpose.

My favorite setting is basically neck pu with everything on 10!!!

Archived