Gibson Brands Forums

I Hate These Guitars!

upl8tr

So I’m browsing my local 2nd hand music store when I stop to look at a newly acquired Rickenbacker.

The sales man approaches me all excited about it, and for the next half hour tries to convince me to buy it because they are the best guitars in the world,

Quote = “I mean the Beatles used them for Christ-sakes”

So anyhoo, it’s during this nonsense that I realise with some surprise that I actually HATE Ricks.

I’ve never held one let alone played one so how can I say I hate them? I dunno but I do!

Now, does this mean I am I a freak, or is this something others can identify with?

All thoughts are welcomed ( I think –[lol] ) lol.

They have very narrow necks - a lot of people don't like that. I've never had more than a few minutes with one, so I can't comment on how I like them, but I like the sound.

The Beatles also used a lot of the guitars they used because they were free. John bought his first Rickenbacker, George bought one to match John's, and after that they were all given to them by the company. They only used Vox amps because they were free - they used a lot of Fenders in the studio.

So I’m browsing my local 2nd hand music store when I stop to look at a newly acquired Rickenbacker.

The sales man approaches me all excited about it' date=' and for the next half hour tries to convince me to buy it because they are the best guitars in the world,

Quote = “I mean the Beatles used them for Christ-sakes”

So anyhoo, it’s during this nonsense that I realise with some surprise that I actually HATE Ricks.

I’ve never held one let alone played one so how can I say I hate them? I dunno but I do!

Now, does this mean I am I a freak, or is this something others can identify with?

All thoughts are welcomed ( I think –[lol ) lol.

That's why there are so many different brands & styles of instruments...no "one size fits all"

I cannot fault you for hating them. Their sound is very distinct and not for everyone. Personally, I think they fly under the radar as one of the great American guitar companies. Their innovative guitars have been around through various fads and are still going strong. I love that they aren't Gibson or Fender copies. I do think they are priced a little high.

By far their best model is the 620. I had the joy of playing one a month and a half ago and couldn't stop pining for it for two weeks. It was used and priced under 1K USD. Should have snatched it up!

271473.jpg

Their prices aren't as bad as you think, really... less than a majority of Gibson's offerings, at least. It's the hidden prices that are a bit intimidating.

The vintage series (most of which are based on John and George's guitars, and the 4001 reissue) is about $1000 less than Gibson's Historic models, and their standard models are around the price of a Les Paul Traditional.

There was a walnut model with a 600-series body about two years ago that came in at about $800. I wish I had bought it.

Yeah, I hate them too....(NOT!!!!)

MyRickenbackers001.jpg

As to "the Best Guitars?" That is, as always, a matter of opinion, and personal preference.

They are, however, Great guitars, with a unique sound, playability, and innovative design(s).

As has been mentioned, they aren't for everyone, but I've owned at least one Rick 12-string,

since the mid-'60's! The 3 above, are all 1980 versions.

CB

Their sound is very distinct and not for everyone.

Personally' date=' I think they fly under the radar as one of the great American guitar companies.

Their innovative guitars have been around through various fads and are still going strong.

I love that they aren't Gibson or Fender copies.

I do think they are priced a little high.

By far their best model is the 620. [/quote']

I was with you until the part about the 620.

ANYBODY who's ever played one knows the 381-V69 is the way to go!

Ain't no plywood here - 100% carved body.

Birdseye Maple on the front, nice and flamed on the back.

A little bit of Walnut for good measure.

Stereo (Ric-O-Sound) output.

3374276707_c797b94f3f.jpg

3374276729_cb3c30f4f4.jpg

3374276701_d765e673d4.jpg

And yeah, I'd like to get a 620 as well as half a dozen other models they make.

Under the radar indeed.

And compared to other American brands, the price really isn't so bad.

Shop around, and look at the prices on the used ones if you wonder if they're worth it.

Art with strings as the advertising says.

Mrs. Neo loves mine, says it's the most beautiful guitar I own.

I only like the look of their basses' date=' IMO the bass below is one of the coolest bass shapes ever.

[img']http://johnzambri.com/John/Guitar%20Pics/RickBass.jpg[/img]

Hi slayer-gods-1,

I'm with you there.

I was in fact only talking about the guitars not the basses, I really should have made that clear, however just to prove my point here's my bass, you dont need much imagination to figure out where the inspiration for this came from!!

schecter_natural_ash_body.jpg

Rgs, Upl8tr.

I cannot fault you for hating them. Their sound is very distinct and not for everyone. Personally' date=' I think they fly under the radar as one of the great American guitar companies. Their innovative guitars have been around through various fads and are still going strong. I love that they aren't Gibson or Fender copies. I do think they are priced a little high.

By far their best model is the 620. I had the joy of playing one a month and a half ago and couldn't stop pining for it for two weeks. It was used and priced under 1K USD. Should have snatched it up!

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/4/7/3/271473.jpg[/img]

I recently played that model and there was a thick coat of gloss lacquer on the fretboard that made my fingertips drag big time. I did not like that guitar. I really wanted to like it but it wasn't any fun to play.

Let me guess. You're 14.

My goodness, I was so impressed and surprised at your insightful witty and thought provoking reply to my post that I almost fell out my chair, I mean surely if Mark Twain were alive he’d be cowering in fear at your towering intellect and disdain for the mundane!

I salute you sir, and await you predictably forthcoming edification with baited breath!

Archived