Gibson Brands Forums

Cracked neck

caleb

I can't explain how it h appended but the neck on my SG has cracked right where the neck meets the headstock.:D

Some friends tell me that the S G is prone to this happening.

Can anyone here confirm this?

I have taken it to a local luthier for repair and he seems to think he can repair it to almost new condition.

Anyone had a similar experience??

Geez, I hope that never happens to mine. I've heard that things like this can happen when moving the guitar from one extreme temperature to another. But hell, that's bad luck mate, and I hope your luthier does the job for ya.

Some friends tell me that the S G is prone to this happening.

Can anyone here confirm this? Anyone had a similar experience??

Yes it is a week point for all Gibsons. They are very prone to break right where

you describe. It's never happen to me but I have seen a 62 Sg that the other guitar

player in was showing a few of us at the music store take it off the counter and not

lock the case. Hit the floor and broke right where yours did.

CW

man thats bad news, did it take a fall?

has temperature changes really caused a neck to just snap?????? i just gigged up in the mountains during some snow it was cold outside and the area i was playing was pretty darn warm, i didnt walk from outside to inside with my sg around my shoulders or anything

the neck really is very thin at that area, but i think it would take quite a bit of force to snap the neck

has temperature changes really caused a neck to just snap?????? i just gigged up in the mountains during some snow it was cold outside and the area i was playing was pretty darn warm' date=' i didnt walk from outside to inside with my sg around my shoulders or anything the neck really is very thin at that area, but i think it would take quite a bit of force to snap the neck[/quote']

I've never heard of neck break because of temp. changes but it sure will crack

the nito finish because I have seen that. The ex thought she was doing me a favor

by opening the case on my Studio after it had been in below zero temps. Funny it cracked

mainly on the headstock and I can barely see the cracks any more.

CW

BRING BACK THE VOLUTE!!!!. The neck/headstock area is a known weakness due to the large amount of wood removed for the truss rod cavity. There just isn't much there, and if the guitar falls over in the case often the weight of the tuners can cause a headstock break.

+1

We had a guy post last year - claimed his SG (I think, either SG or LP) snapped apart right at the nut without ever being dropped or banged. Just snapped. And that isn't the first time I've heard of that - usually Gibbies made in the last 10 years or so as they're no longer as careful about picking necks with straight grain. Watch out if your neck grain is twisted or kinked, changes in humdity and temp can cause a crack and with all the tension on the thin neck/headstock area - BAM. Goodbye headstock.

You should be more careful.....................it can be fixed up fine and will be just like it was if done right........I have fixed an epi I have myself

and it has been fine...........................

And again.............you should be more careful

You should be more careful.....................it can be fixed up fine and will be just like it was if done right........I have fixed an epi I have myself

and it has been fine...........................

And again.............you should be more careful

Problem is Blackie that I don't know how exactly it happened.

I certainly didn't drop the case or the guitar.

We have had temperatures here in the low 40's (celcius) pretty damm hot.

Reading about the temperature thing it may well be that I took it straight out the case and hung it on the wall in an A/C room.

So 40+ to 18 degrees in a short time could have done it I suppose.

Anyway - I took it to my luthier and he has fixed several of these and assures me that I wont be able to see the crack after he has done his magic.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for your replies by the way.

I've never heard of neck break because of temp. changes but it sure will crack

the nito finish because I have seen that. The ex thought she was doing me a favor

by opening the case on my Studio after it had been in below zero temps. Funny it cracked

mainly on the headstock and I can barely see the cracks any more.

CW

Hence she went from being your girlfriend to being your EX?

+1

We had a guy post last year - claimed his SG (I think' date=' either SG or LP) snapped apart right at the nut without ever being dropped or banged. Just snapped. And that isn't the first time I've heard of that - usually Gibbies made in the last 10 years or so as they're no longer as careful about picking necks with straight grain. Watch out if your neck grain is twisted or kinked, changes in humdity and temp can cause a crack and with all the tension on the thin neck/headstock area - BAM. Goodbye headstock.

[/quote']

I remember that post BK. He had pic's also that looked so bad people couldn't

stand to look at them. LOL There were also some post of the twisted grain you

speak of. I would think a neck with the bad grain might be susceptible to temp.

Did the volute stop the breakage? If so why did they stop putting one on the neck

if thats the case.

CW

why did they stop putting one on the neck ?

Because of the obsession with 'vintage spec'.

The volute - along with the multipiece neck was a step in right direction. Les Paul himself helped to initiate these changes when he expressed his disappointment to Gibson at the number of breaks he'd seen. The change to a 14 degree headstock angle also made breaks less likely.

On the Les Paul guitar, the multipiece necks became even stronger when they changed to maple around '77. These features helped to overcome the core problem inherent in the design - that of short grain at the headstock.

Compared to the problem of short grain, irregular wood fibres are nothing to worry about. It is true that the straighter the grain, the more stable and stronger the neck, but it is of little relevance because when the wood is cut to form the headstock angle, most of the strength is lost anyway.

The loss of volute, the return to 1 piece neck, and the change back to 17 degree headstock might be 'vintage correct', but it's a disaster waiting to happen. Be very careful...

The volute - along with the multipiece neck was a step in right direction. Les Paul himself helped to initiate these changes when he expressed his disappointment to Gibson at the number of breaks he'd seen. The change to a 14 degree headstock angle also made breaks less likely.

On the Les Paul guitar' date=' the multipiece necks became even stronger when they changed to maple around '77. These features helped to overcome the core problem inherent in the design - that of short grain at the headstock.

Compared to the problem of short grain, irregular wood fibres are nothing to worry about. It is true that the straighter the grain, the more stable and stronger the neck, but it is of little relevance because when the wood is cut to form the headstock angle, most of the strength is lost anyway.

The loss of volute, the return to 1 piece neck, and the change back to 17 degree headstock might be 'vintage correct', but it's a disaster waiting to happen. Be very careful...

[/quote']

Thanks 80LPC I didn't know any of this. Looks like going vintage wasn't such a good idea. I think it's time they

rethink the volute and multipiece necks and since they are vintage now bring them back.

CW

On the Les Paul guitar, the multipiece necks became even stronger when they changed to maple around '77. These features helped to overcome the core problem inherent in the design - that of short grain at the headstock.

80LPC - Nice post - good info.

caleb -

I hope the repair goes well. Your post led to an interesting discussion. Thanks.

And do keep us posted. [-(

Common problem with Gibson's' date=' let the luthier do his magic and if he's good you'll never know it was damaged.[/quote']

Never know?

WTF?

:D

If you have a broken headstock, I think it's something you'll remember the rest of your life....

Depending on the break, it can be repaired cleanly and result in a stronger piece.

To call it magic is fair, some of those guys are good. Whether they leave it visible or paint over it depends

on a number of factors ranging from the original finish to your desire to HIDE THE REPAIR....

The luthier will speak in code when discussing this.

When he says "We can cover this up so you'll never know it happened"

what he really means is

"I'll get this covered up so you can sell the guitar and cleanse your guilty conscience by hiding your fault."

Maybe some people can flush away their culpability like hitting the lever on a toilet.

Me personally? I would NEVER sell a guitar with known damage and act like I "never knew it was damaged"....

Remind me to NEVER buy a fxcking guitar from you.

[-(

Oh, and let me assure you, if I find any other gaps in your logic I will let you know in no uncertain terms.

many years ago my '76 was on a stand with a cord stretched across the living room in the amp.

music was loud, brew was flowing, air was smokey and WHAMO! somebody hooked their foot in the cord and pulled my sg over. popped right below the nut.

a co-worker was friends with roger fritz, who glued it up good as new. we never discussed hiding the break. wasnt mentioned period. i felt lucky just to have it as playable as before.

not long ago i had it refretted. while writing out the job order, the guy looked at the break, and said he could make it disappear, but wouldnt. i didnt ask him too, he just stated that. he also told me that no reputable repairman/luthier would. i agree.

would piss me off royally if someone passed off damaged goods as never repaired.

Never know?

WTF?

[crying]

If you have a broken headstock' date=' I think it's something you'll remember the rest of your life....

Depending on the break, it can be repaired cleanly and result in a stronger piece.

To call it magic is fair, some of those guys are good. Whether they leave it visible or paint over it depends

on a number of factors ranging from the original finish to your desire to HIDE THE REPAIR....

The luthier will speak in code when discussing this.

When he says [i']"We can cover this up so you'll never know it happened" [/i]

what he really means is

"I'll get this covered up so you can sell the guitar and cleanse your guilty conscience by hiding your fault."

Maybe some people can flush away their culpability like hitting the lever on a toilet.

Me personally? I would NEVER sell a guitar with known damage and act like I "never knew it was damaged"....

Remind me to NEVER buy a fxcking guitar from you.

:-k

Oh, and let me assure you, if I find any other gaps in your logic I will let you know in no uncertain terms.

First off a good luthier will repair a broken neck and there'll no signs of the break. I did not say that it never happened, read the post idiot. And you should look at your logic o0r lack of it when posting, I guess I'm the new fav of yours to shout out your ignorance on there have been many others and being the kind of poser you are there will be many more.

If I did have a guitar with a broken neck and If I were to sell it that little bit of info would be included. As far as selling to you, well doubtful you could afford it in the first place. Go back to your hole, I'll be posting more then you can have your "fun" looking stupid again. Tool.

First off a good luthier will repair a broken neck and there'll no signs of the break.

What if the neck wasn't a solid color?

If the woodgrain is visible' date=' it will always be there unless you're blind or you get the luthier to paint over it.

I'd say both are highly possible with you, judging from your hateful disposition and stream of insults.

I did not say that it never happened' date=' read the post idiot.

My, what a charmer you are....

I DID read the post.

That's why I made the comments I did.

Well, that and the fact that you spent a couple days following me from thread to thread like a stalker.

If you were flirting it would have been one thing, but you resorted to name-calling and insults.

For WHAT?

Hmmmmm....

Do you remember the first thread you decided to attack me in?

Epiphone forum ring a bell?

Have you managed to accomplish anything with your continued insults?

Are you masochistic to crave even more?

Are you ever gonna respond to the PM I sent to you?

And you should look at your logic o0r lack of it when posting' date=' I guess I'm the new fav of yours [/quote']

As long as you keep insulting me like a child and following me around, I'll make time for you.

Love ya!

MMMMWaaaa!

to shout out your ignorance on there have been many others

They usually learn faster than you. That says something - though I'm not sure what....

[blink]:-s[blink]

and being the kind of poser you are there will be many more.

Poser?

Explain please.

Otherwise' date=' it's just another empty insult from another jerk of your knee.

What is it that I'm "posing" as that gets you clenching your itty-bitty fists?

If I did have a guitar with a broken neck and If I were to sell it that little bit of info would be included.

I doubt it.

I'll presume you're a liar from this point forward.

Look at the nature of your posts - I wouldn't buy a dime from you for a nickel.

As far as selling to you' date=' well doubtful you could afford it in the first place.

When you gross $200k a year, do let me know, hmmmm?

Hell, if you gross $40k a year, let me know....

Go back to your hole' date=' [/quote']

Hole?

As opposed to your van, down by the river?

LA DE FREAKIN' DAH.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR7hr4LLQg[/YOUTUBE]

I'll be posting more then you can have your "fun" looking stupid again.

Yeah' date=' you keep on teaching me a thing or two, teaching me a [i']good[/i] lesson....

:-

You coulda quit, but NO!!!

Tool.

How many times have I heard that same insult from you now?

Do you spend all your internet time with yours in your hand - is that it?

Is that stuff good on the rosewood fretboard?

Archived