Gibson Brands Forums

SG Necks?

Madness

Hey, im pondering, which SG neck is most like an U shape (the opposite of flat necks)? In other words, which SG neck is the LEAST flat and thin (not as width, but in height) between the "'61 classic SG neck" profile, and the "rounded" profile?

Thanks! Wondering because im unsure wether i like the SG GT neck with a '61 classic sg, and a standard with the "rounded" neck.

You have to choose between speed and sustain. The more your neck is thin the more you play fast but you have no sustain. If you play some noisy music with a lot of gain it's OK, you just a thin neck. But if you play with a weak sound you need a thick neck. Anyway necks on SG models are pretty thin so...

You have to choose between speed and sustain. The more your neck is thin the more you play fast but you have no sustain. If you play some noisy music with a lot of gain it's OK' date=' you just a thin neck. But if you play with a weak sound you need a thick neck. Anyway necks on SG models are pretty thin so...[/quote']

Necks on SG's are pretty THIN? What kind of SG are you playing? If you're using a '61 Reissue, I can understand, but most SG's have pretty fat necks. But I love it that way.

My first guitar was a 2007 Les Paul classic (60s style neck). Thats what I was learning on and got used to... Then when the Robot came out I bought one (50s style neck) I notice a little beefier, slightly fatter than the 60s style neck but I'm liking it a lot, feels good in your hand. On this trip home to Boston I finally got my hands on the 71 SG Standard I had bought on Ebay several months back.... Wow what a diference, it felt like I was holding a tooth pick in my hand. Since the SG is the only guitar I have here to practice on I have had no choice but to get used to it. I'm really starting to like it!!! The thin neck allows my fingers to reach the strings better. You have to be more accurate as not to mute agacent string but once you start to feel comfortable on the neck its eayer to get around...

results: 50s neck; beefy feels good in your hand... Not recomended for people with stubby fingers...

60s neck; Not as thick easyer to get around, good user friendly neck...

71 neck; same as or very close to the 61 reissue style neck, this is a very diferent feel but something an experience

player can fly on...

This is just my opinion and I am no expert by any means.... just the way I see it.

Dave

Archived