Gibson Brands Forums

hanging the guitar by the neck

ebh

Hi

I have a reissue SG, so it has the original style neck joint - that means at the 22 fret, which is supposed to make it weaker.

Is it ok if I hang the guitar on a wall stand (by the headstock)? Or does it do something bad to it?

Thanks!

Case is safe. [lol]

Same here, stands and wall hanging stands are great for displaying your guitar, but I have personally witnessed on 2 different occasions a gibson being knocked off the stand and cracking the neck at the headstock..... after that I leave all my guitars in the cases at all times unless I am playing them or showing them to people.

How anyone stores their guitar is a personal choice; but I agree with the statements by the other respondents. In addition, hanging your guitar as in a store will result in the accumulation of dust/dirt over time which isn't too good for it. If you don't lock the room that the guitar(s) are kept, well intentioned friends (or possible kids friends) may decide they want to play rock star with it if you're not around. A guitar in a case (unless it's locked) is much safer, "out of sight out of mind". Just something to think about...

so it has the original style neck joint - that means at the 22 fret' date=' which is supposed to make it weaker. [/quote']

That's not true.

There were some problems with the original SGs that were related to the cutout for the neck pickup.

The joint was weakened from the lack of wood left in the joint area.

That problem was solved later on, and has never been an issue since.

I think you'll find the joint on the SG 61 reissue to be more than strong enough for its intended purpose.

If you break one now, it's because you did something very stupid.

Treat it with reasonable care, and you'll have no problems - just watch the headstock!!!

And yes, hanging the guitar will not hurt it in the least.

I don't hang any of mine simply because I don't want them to fall - doesn't matter the cause.

Did it for awhile when my kids were small, but not anymore.

If you look at the gear pics in my signature, you'll see the cabinets I use to store mine.

Keeps the dust off, but they're still handy to get out when I want to play.

Bottom line - case is the best place to store it.

Just don't leave it for an extended period of time without checking the set up height/neck condition.

And make sure it's wiped down good before you store it - cases collect grease and grime from your hands.

And your tool.

To some people, anything can be a tool and have a perceived value greater than anything else in their life.

Seems their very existence hinges on their tool - whatever kind of tool they are, um, I mean may be...

Keeping your guitar in it's case certainly does the best job of protecting it, but hanging it on the wall keeps it readily accessible and will make you a better player faster. There have been numerous articles on well known guitarists that show guitars hanging on the walls of their homes.

Are you a collector or a player?

And I've seen lotsa damage done to guitars going in and out of the case.

Case on the floor, case balanced on a couch or chair, case on a table.

Fumbling around, and the guitar gets banged into a case latch or table edge.

Then there's the worst - picking the case up to carry it and it's not latched so the guitar jumps to its death.

Serious doom.

As I posted earlier, look at the gear pics in my signature and you'll see the cabinets I use to store mine.

Keeps the dust off, but they're still handy to get out when I want to play.

I've stored them every way you can imagine, I found what works best for me - and protects the guitars.

Archived