Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Owned or Played One of These?

SilverLesterStd

I am thinking of making my son very happy. I want to buy him his first Gibby! O:) He plays mine so well and is always Jonesing on playing mine. It will be a big step up from an Mini Infinity Squire Strat. Does anyone know about this axe?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Faded-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513825

I think the 490R & 498T might sound sweet. Our decision will probably be between this Faded Maple Studio, or the VM Studio. I know that will sound great - with BB Pros.

The boy's no metal head. He loves to play Rush, Yes, Skynyrd, Joe Walsh, The Who, etc.. Yes, he's into Classic & Prog Rock. I wonder which guitar will handle this genre better? Please sound off with your opins. guys & ladies?

Im sure your son would be thrilled with that gesture, my dad did the same thing for me when I was 16. I was crazy about mick schenker and wanted a flying vee infact I took my son to see him when he was playing a few months back here in the UK and he was on top form. I got some good grades and out of the blue dad said lets go and get it and I couldn,t beleive it we went and got a second hand but mint condition Gibson flying vee. I played it in all my bands and still play it now but only in my studio. Im 44 now but I still got it and she looks and sounds great. Its one guitar I will never ever sell I love it, dads gone now so its a nice reminder of a cool guy and it has alot of happy memories. Your son Is very lucky.

Looks like you are making a great choice to me... That is a sweet guitar! Your son will love it and you for getting it for him... Does he know?

Dave' date=' he knows that he's getting an Epi or Gibby Les Paul. He usually plays Epi's at GC and he likes them. He just sounds much better on my Gibby. He started playing Funk 49 on [i']Angel[/i] and my eyes must have popped out. :D He did Mr. Walsh credit. Pretty darn good for 7-2/3 years old. I hope it's not me loosing my objectivity.

I am thinking of making my son very happy. I want to buy him his first Gibby!

My input to this is...

Both of you go looking for the right Guitar.

Make the finding and buying part of the experience.

You might be surprised at what he really wants or likes when he sees it.

Look at MF's Stupid Deal today.

They have a cranberry standard for $1700. Hard to beat that price.

There are other threads regarding these guitars.

Good Luck

Piece of advise on the so-called Stupid deals. A month or two ago, MF was selling these Standards in both Cranberry and Gingerburst. The guys who scooped them up at this price quickly returned them due to some pretty significant quality issues. You can probably do a search for the thread. These are probably the returns. BUYER BEWARE :-k

The Studio that you linked to looks really nice. I'm sure your son will love it.

Im sure your son would be thrilled with that gesture' date=' my dad did the same thing for me when I was 16. I was crazy about mick schenker and wanted a flying vee infact I took my son to see him when he was playing a few months back here in the UK and he was on top form. I got some good grades and out of the blue dad said lets go and get it and I couldn,t beleive it we went and got a second hand but mint condition Gibson flying vee. I played it in all my bands and still play it now but only in my studio. Im 44 now but I still got it and she looks and sounds great. Its one guitar I will never ever sell I love it, dads gone now so its a nice reminder of a cool guy and it has alot of happy memories. Your son Is very lucky.[/quote']

Great story LT ED! Now that's passing the rock on! My Dad killed my lessons (bad grades) after 6 mos. when I was 13 or 14. Weird, the grades nor the playing improved afterward. :-({|=

My babe and I bought the little schredder's new axe today (really Satarday) at GC. He tried four different Studio VM models, one georgeous Std. in Desertburst, =P~ and a black Studio. I wanted him to try a white Studio (ebony fb), but alas, they had none. All of these were played through a VOX AC30CC2.

I thought he would rock the 60s neck Desertburst best because of his hand size, but no! #-o He got around on the fretboard a little better on the Studios. One more thing. The Vintage Mahagony's BBs were (picture Tommy Callahan) AWESOME!

We bought a faded cherry VM and left with very glad hearts. Wow what a great value in a guitar. My son was ecstatic to find out that he hadn't been just trying out axes to see what he might receive from us when his bass sells. He said. "Are you KIDDING!"

I wiped it down tonight for him... well... after taking her for a long spin. He's in for a load of enjoyment. Now we are trying to entice him into giving away his little mini Fender Squire to his friend down the street. I hope he finds it in his little guitar coveting heart. #-o

I have a studio vintage mahogany, and it is also my first gibson. The fat neck could be an issue, but I don't see it being a big problem, as they grow fast. I think it would be a great guitar for your kid, and he would love it. I also agree that the buying should be part of the experience, and would make for a fun time. Maybe bring him to a store, and when you see him light up on a certain guitar, ask him if he loves that one. If he says yes, bring it over to the counter and watch the reaction. Of course, you need to find an excuse to get there, like strings, but it could be special and exiting.

Hope you find him a great guitar, best of luck!

You guys are great! My son and I enjoy the time together checking out all the cool guitars. He is really into the 80s era classic rock and has a Kramer and a Jackson, but everytime time I see him practicing, he has my R7 or Silverburst on his lap. So naturally I asked him if he would like a Les Paul of his own, and he says naw, I'll just play yours. Go figure. [-o<

Archived