Gibson Brands Forums

hendrix, that wasn't music it was just noise!...

S t e v e

Malmsteen's mastery of deadpan humour catches many out...

Nooooo....he has mellowed big time. He used to be an arrogant, egotisticle pr**k!

He was good, he knew it and had no time for anyone but himself.

btw, his blues playing leaves much to be desired.

Its Blackmoores love child..... lol. I still have a Gtrworld that compare Blackmoore to this guy and they are exact from the guitars' date=' to the neo classical riffs to the cowboy boots and wooden heals and the black stage clothes. In fact I thing that the first time I have ever hear him speak. So I have heard him play Voodoo Chile with his own spin but the main riff was there, so whats that then? Hmmm must be a new spin on a meaning of some words like Never His Riffs..... lol[/quote']

Oh man I think I remember that, they had 2 pictures of them in the same stupid 1 leg bent one out to the side crouch, it was hilarious.

How does the phrase go?

"Yngwie Malmsteen can do anything with a guitar except play music!"

How does the phrase go?

"Yngwie Malmsteen can do anything with a guitar except play music!"

+1 on that - continuously playing 32th notes for extended periods of time, runs in some cases that seemingly have absolutely nothing to do with each other or any semblance of a song in the meantime, does not constitute music.

Incredible coordination, perhaps, but not music.

I'll take a slower melodic Gilmour or similar riff any day.

As for Hendrix, as I've stated before in other threads, he was an inventor where others like SRV were mere imitators.

And look how many well known artists have imitated riffs Hendrix invented? Like SRV.

Who imitates Yngwie? Who cares?

Yeah, I know, just an old fart . . . what do I know?

Who stands the test of time? who played with Soul? Hendrix will always be the one others are compaired to in the rock & blues world. 2 different types of music. In 20 years, people will still be talking about Hendrix. The other guy? I'm not so sure.

Nobody who's not a guitar player knows who Yngwie is, and even among us there are tons who think he's a joke (myself included).

Hendrix brought his guitar playing to the world, and while he was at it wrote some of the best songs ever.

I'd be the first to admit that I don't find Hendrix's guitar playing to be amazing, but he does more for me than Yngwie's 'shredding' has ever done. And in terms of musicianship, there's just no comparison.

But, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Who plays better always comes down to personal taste but the fact is that Hendrix changed the way people thought about playing guitar, Or shall we say those that thought they could play had a rethink after seeing Hendrix. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck,Pete Townsend, Keith Richard etc all flocked to see him play when arrived in London and all of them will admit that he blew their minds. Greatest player most probably not but the most influential without any doubt. Apart from scalloped frets I can't see Yngwie being remembered much although a great player he is.

Me I can watch and listen to Jeff Beck all day but like I said its personal taste.

Come on guys' date=' Yngwie is a true master no matter if you dig his music or not.

Can any one of us here say they wouldnt give up 'ol lefty for a few of his chops?

I have heard Hendrix as we all have many times. I have heard better...he did have a groove, but in my

opinion he was all studio for the most part.[/quote']

wrong

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiI10iaZr9A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEPSXT0o3I[/YOUTUBE]

i have two Hendrix recordings that are just brilliant. one is called "Live at Winterland", and the other is "Blues." i HIGHLY recommend "Blues", it is not the Hendrix everyone is used to at all.

i would say that at least indirectly, Malmsteen had to be influenced by Hendrix: i think we all are to some extent.

i am influenced by everything i hear, all the time: even things i don't necessarily appreciate. ;-)

Don

Archived