Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
taxman

Simple Question: Will Prices Go Down?

There is business turmoil in the Gibson world. My simple question is before all this business gets settled, will prices drop in order to clear out stock or boost profit before handing over the keys? Any word or thoughts on this?

More specifically, I know the Standard SG is not the most expensive guitar in the Gibson lineup, but might we see a drop in price on this model?

We can only hope prices on all guitars go down across the board as most musicians don't have a ton of extra flow to blow on their weapons of choice. The term, "starving artists" comes to mind and in today's economic climate...

hunger's WAY up!

Unfortunately we saw what Fender did. As the greatest economic turmoil since the Great Depression hit, Fender jacked their prices up from 10 to 30%! Not smart. I hope Gibson actually does throw the consumer a bone. Drop the $1,100 SG to, say, $850 and I bet those starving artists will fill their bellies. I will in an instant.

Welcome.

Price drops?

Maybe.

Some time down the road. Depends on how sales go this year. If they don't meet expectations there'll probably be cuts around the holidays. But don't bet on it.

If the prices scare you, buy used. [lol]

No need to welcome me. I've been around here before but I forgot my user name so I had to re-register. (Believe it or not, this system doesn't give you your password unles you present your username; most just ask for your e-mail address, but not this one. I couldn't remember my username so I couldn't get in.)

Anyway, I made the mistake a few months back of buying an Epi SG. The guitar itself is not a mistake (it is one of those Limited Edition '66 and it plays incredibly well), but I should have just kept that $350 and put it towards the real deal. Now if I buy a Standard SG at $1,100 I'll really be paying $1450 for it. I'm hoping Gibson drops the price about $200 bills, then I wheel and deal with salesmen and I'd be having myself two SGs (an Epi and a Gibby) for the price of one.

They could honestly keep the pricing where it's at and I wouldn't get too miffed. I just wish they'd make the standard in more than 2 freaking colors.

There is business turmoil in the Gibson world. My simple question is before all this business gets settled' date=' will prices drop in order to clear out stock or boost profit before handing over the keys? Any word or thoughts on this?

More specifically, I know the Standard SG is not the most expensive guitar in the Gibson lineup, but might we see a drop in price on this model?[/quote']

what is the turmoil? I'm new to Gibson bb's and am not up to date on Gibson news.

Well, I'd LOVE to see a price drop, back to "reasonable" (for Gibson, that is).

What really turned me off, were the (seemingly) constant increases, in a short

period of time. A couple of years ago, the '61 SG Standard (non-VOS) version,

nearly doubled in price, in less than 18 months. That's not an "inflation" or cost

of doing business increase. Now, how much of that was Gibson, or the Retailers,

I don't really know. Even if it was, say..."fuel" related, why didn't they come back down,

to where they were, after the gas prices lowered. I guess they went to the same school

of thought, that the Oil (AWL BIDNESS, in "Texan") Business folks, did? ;>)

MF did lower the Standard SG, some time ago, back to $1,100 and change, from $1,600! ;>O

But, before it went to $1,600...in about the same time frame, as the '61...it was at or around

$850-900 including case. So...??? We can only hope...but I won't hold my breath!

CB

Maybe they'll wait `till the 50th anniversary model comes out, then see how many `61 reissues, Standards, Specials, and Special Fadeds, they move from the people who are caught-up in the SG frenzy, but can't afford to buy a 50th model, after the frenzy is over, then they can drop the price to move even more.

Don't bet on it.

In the late eighties, I was reading a story about Porsche and their marketing strategy.

The exotic/supercar market had all but collapsed (like the current housing market) and everybody was

waiting, watching, wondering, worrying what the low volume/high dollar guys were gonna do.

Porsche had no new models to offer that year, everything was a carry-over.

They announced a price increase of nearly 15 percent as I recall.

The statement from them was that the confidence they had in regular return customers was the key.

Along with return customers would be their friends who had always wanted a Porsche and finally jumped in.

Turns out they were right, there was no drop in sales despite the price increase.

The additional revenue (they made more money that year) allowed them to continue R&D on new cars.

The REAL Porsche afficionados came through, they believed in and supported the company.

The people who can afford the BIG toys are not gonna let the normal economic woes get 'em down.

Same with Gibson.

The low end and mid-line sales are hurting, but the ones with cash to spare are bargain hunting.

There's enough profit margin in the high end guitars already.

they already lowered the SG standard price recently. I don't see it happening again.

as for used, the less expensive models seem to hold their value better than the 3-6K models. unless you're lucky you'll have trouble scoring an SG standard for less than 800 if it's in great condition.

Companies are going to get theirs, one way or the other. Given that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the quality/price point of the guitars they are buying, cutting the inital new retail cost will only hurt the consumer in the haul because they're going to cut back something else at some point.

It sounds like you're just being cheap honestly, which is kind of sad, specifically hoping they drop their price by 200$ so you could "wheel and deal" and get something everyone else paid 1,100$ because you couldn't be bothered to either A.) save your money in the first place, or B.) Decide on what you wanted in the first place.

Either sell or trade your epiphone if you can't afford a gibson, or get a piggy bank and start saving like the rest of us.

It sounds like you're just being cheap honestly....get a piggy bank and start saving like the rest of us.

Right' date=' most cheap guys who have no piggy banks have this gear:

[img']http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/taxmanharrison/the3004l.jpg[/img]

Hey, Einstein, ever think that an SG Standard isn't really worth $1,200? You are obviously just a sap that pays whatever the big companies tell you to pay.

Unfortunately we saw what Fender did. As the greatest economic turmoil since the Great Depression hit' date=' Fender jacked their prices up from 10 to 30%! Not smart. I hope Gibson actually does throw the consumer a bone. Drop the $1,100 SG to, say, $850 and I bet those starving artists will fill their bellies. I will in an instant.[/quote']

And Fender started making the Japanese models in Mexico and charging more. That kind of disrespect deserves a ***** slap.

There is business turmoil in the Gibson world. My simple question is before all this business gets settled' date=' will prices drop in order to clear out stock or boost profit before handing over the keys? Any word or thoughts on this?

More specifically, I know the Standard SG is not the most expensive guitar in the Gibson lineup, but might we see a drop in price on this model?[/quote']

Yeah wow great ! maybe we can benefit from the Gibson Corporation's hardship!! I'm short selling Guitar Center as we speak, gonna be sweet....hit that bid , hit that bid! [biggrin]

Aww:-({|=

I'm sure showing off all that gear makes you feel awesome, so go buy the guitar, if it's not worth it in your mind don't. It's pretty simple, and while I may be a sap in your opinion, I'm a sap with a brand new Cherry SG.

I'm a sap with a brand new Cherry SG.

And a sap who paid more than I will pay for my Standard SG. Retail price is for saps. Wheel and deal with salespeople, wait for businesses to go belly up, hell, even steal it, but never ever pay retail for a new guitar.

Didn't the SG standard already experience a nice price drop?

It hovers at around $1,100. Not a bad price for a fine guitar. I'm just thinking of the business upheaval Gibson is going through and wondering if the consumer might benefit from it in anyway.