Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
taxman

Simple Question: Will Prices Go Down?

Not a bad price for a fine guitar.

Guitar Buying 101

Find the actual list price on the guitar you're looking at.

Not some bullsh!t MSRP* made up by Guitar Center to inflate the "cost" of the guitar' date=' the REAL list.

Either from the manufacturer, or by comparing internet prices like Musician's Friend.

They will usually be more accurate than a hang-tag in a store.

[b']2.[/b]

Find out what the MAP** is.

This is the price that the dealers must adhere to in any advertising, per their franchise agreement.

Often around 75% of MSRP*.

You will NOT see a lower price quoted in any ads - aside from the odd clearance or blowout sale.

Go to your friendly neighborhood Mom & Pop Gibson dealer for a price on the guitar.

See if they don't quote you a price below the MAP**.

They won't write it down, but they will honor it to beat Guitar Center out of a sale.

Believe it - it's true.

If you paid more than 70% of MSRP*, including tax, WITH the factory hardcase, you got no deal.

*(MSRP is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, also known as the list price.)

**(MAP is Minimum Advertised Price)

Cool post, NeoConMan.

OK, I get a MSRP of $2,517.

Now you say one should never pay more than 70% of MSRP.

70% of the above MSRP is $1,761.90

So what you are saying is I should be happy to pay $1,761 for a guitar that sells for $1,199.

????????

OK, where do you get a MSRP of $2,517?

Are you SURE that's what it was on your guitar?

Only Gibson Customer Service knows for sure.

Be careful using a later list price on a later batch of guitars with a price increase too.

Didn't say you should NEVER pay more than 70% of MSRP.

Sometimes it can't be helped on a new, rare, or hot-selling guitar.

What I'm saying is that if you paid more than 70% you got no smokin' deal.

$1,199 is 53% off MSRP, which is a NeoConMan approved bargain for sure!

[biggrin]

Forgive my ignorance of the details, but what exactly is it you bought?

And where?????????

As consumers we're almost always overpaying' date=' even on sale prices.. [/quote']

Not if you cut out the middleman and buy directly from the seller.

As consumers we're almost always overpaying' date=' even on sale prices.. [/quote']

+1 [blush]

Forgive my ignorance of the details' date=' but what exactly is it you bought?

And where?????????

[/quote']

No, I haven't bought a Gibson Standard SG yet. My aim here was to ask (due to Gibson business failings) would the consumer see a drop in price.

$1,199 is the asking price all over for these guitars. Sam Ash would always send me 20% off coupons (though I haven't received one of those coupons yet this year). That 20% off $1,199 is a fine deal, I know; but after buying 9 guitars in just two years, I am not craving any more new guitars. If the price were really right, say Gibson drops it by $200, yeah, I would definitely buy.

In the last 6 years I've bought 3 new Gibsons.I bought a 2003 135 with stop tailpiece and classic 57's for $899,and last year I bought a Les Paul Trad Pro for$1600 out the door,and a faded SG for $650.My buddy bought a 59 reissue for $5600.I've played for 40 years and all 3 of my "cheap Gibson"guitars sound and play as nice as any guitar i've ever owned.Heres to Gibson hope they last forever.

I just bought,TODAY at Guitar Center, an SG Standard Heritage Red (showroom model) 2 small dings and the wood shows two tones of red, so that half the guitar is darker tha the other. Paid $1100.00 out the door (w/hard shell case)

I'm wondering, did I get a good deal?

i bought my sg standard for 10,000 hkd which is 1,282 usd. i think this is a reasonable price isn't? and i think their (gibson) prices are ridiculous and should be lowered, A LOT.

kevoT.

line up: gibson sg standard 2009, j@d brothers 880/p, toyama acoustic.

amps: roland k150, laney lg12

I just bought' date='TODAY at Guitar Center, an SG Standard Heritage Red (showroom model) 2 small dings and the wood shows two tones of red, so that half the guitar is darker tha the other. Paid $1100.00 out the door (w/hard shell case)

I'm wondering, did I get a good deal?

[/quote']

Sounds about right OTD for a new floor model Standard.

A new one out the box is $1199 +tax so you saved pretty good if you ask me.

Gibson was charging $1649 for SG Standards this time last year...

Then they dropped the price to $1199. I snagged mine then.

I just bought' date='TODAY at Guitar Center, an SG Standard Heritage Red (showroom model) 2 small dings and the wood shows two tones of red, so that half the guitar is darker tha the other. Paid $1100.00 out the door (w/hard shell case)

I'm wondering, did I get a good deal?[/quote']

I would say no.

Not really.

You did okay on the price, but you bought a fxcked-up guitar.

Would you buy a brand new car with dents in the doors?

That's part of the Guitar Center bullsh!t, make sure you believe the guitar with the dents is the GOOD one!

I'm not kidding.

I've heard their salesmen "explain" to customers that the guitar he was pushing to sell has dents because it

simply plays, sounds, sustains, or feels better than any of the others - so people played THAT ONE all the time.

Even the guys who work there think that guitar rocks, that's the one they don't want to see go....

The customer can't tell the damned difference, but hey, that sales guy sure was cool.

He's my buddy, and he's really telling me the truth, letting me know which guitar is the BEST!

Sorry if you feel like I'm raining on your parade, but the truth about those m@ther fxckers has to be told.

Please tell me you didn't use any of their credit plans....

:-k

I would say no.

Not really.

You did okay on the price' date=' but you bought a fxcked-up guitar.

Would you buy a brand new car with dents in the doors?

That's part of the Guitar Center bullsh!t, make sure you believe the guitar with the dents is the GOOD one!

I'm not kidding.

I've heard their salesmen "explain" to customers that the guitar he was pushing to sell has dents because it

simply plays, sounds, sustains, or feels better than any of the others - so people played THAT ONE all the time.

Even the guys who work there think that guitar rocks, that's the one they don't want to see go....

The customer can't tell the damned difference, but hey, that sales guy sure was cool.

He's my buddy, and he's really telling me the truth, letting me know which guitar is the BEST!

Sorry if you feel like I'm raining on your parade, but the truth about those m@ther fxckers has to be told.

Please tell me you didn't use any of their credit plans....

[biggrin]

I had a pretty pleasant experience buying my Classic White SG Standard from them last night. New in box, made March 11th of this year and I walked out the door with it for 1100.00 even, even cut me a deal on a Fender Amp while we were at it. I paid cash so I can't vouch for their credit plans or anything though. I had tried to avoid big chains because I prefer buying from a locally owned establishment but the 9 guitar shops within 80 miles had dropped/were dropped by Gibson. All of them had Fenders and PRS.

I'm agreeing with the comments made by NEO.

I did not use their credit plans. I paid in full with my credit card, one shot payment. I think I could've gotten the same guitar, but untouched , just outta the box for 1100.00 out the door. They really didn't discount anything, they just sold me a messed up guitar.

It sounds good though and has good intonation, but the two tone color is kinda weird, and also, they didn't give me an owner's manual or the warranty papers.

I think I'll have to go back and return it, and bargain for a new in box model, or have them go down a bit more on the price.

(Heavy sigh.....)

Don't wanna bum you out, just hoping for the best - and you won't get it from them without a fight.

I'm curious how much they will try to wiggle out of their 30-Day Return Policy.

If you do trade for a spiffy new one, make sure you get the proper case.

Hardshell case should contain the factory checklist with the CORRECT serial number written on it.

I wonder what kind of price "difference" they will try to hit you with for an unblemished guitar?

Man....

I have 20 years worth of stories to share about those Guitar Center *** holes.

Don't trust 'em for a second.

Good luck - and welcome to the forum.