Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FinalSalvation

What's wrong with GC

I know GC sometimes get bad press, and everybody's experience is different, but I bought my LP Studio there, and they did me alright. I bought it on a sale weekend and got a good price. The sales guy cleaned and polished it, changed the strings, and threw another new package of strings into the case. I've never bought a guitar from Sam Ash, but have bought instrument cables, strings, and the like on-line from them and received good service.

They are less likely to give you a better price. Their display guitars are played by everyone who walks in the store and it sometimes shows but they're still sold as new. They don't inspect their guitars before displaying them...just pull them out of the box and hang them up - even if there's a QC issue. Some also hate them because they move into a town and drive the local mom n' pops music shops out of business. That's the gist of it.

For some, a GC is the only Gibson dealer that is local. I bought my 339 from Musicians Friend (same Company) unseen and it was shipped to me and was perfect, even the setup was nearly dead on.

If I didn't have any other Gibson dealer within several hours, I'd buy from them, just do your homework.

Some people live in rural areas and don't have a lot of options. A good guitar is a good guitar, who cares who sold it.

For some' date=' a GC is the only Gibson dealer that is local. I bought my 339 from Musicians Friend (same Company) unseen and it was shipped to me and was perfect, even the setup was nearly dead on.

If I didn't have any other Gibson dealer within several hours, I'd buy from them, just do your homework.

Some people live in rural areas and don't have a lot of options. A good guitar is a good guitar, who cares who sold it.[/quote']

+1000

They're a "Big Box Chain Store"....BUT, if you find one, with good managment, and some decent

sales "associates," they can be just fine! I've dealt with several (Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, and

Hollywood GC's, while living in Los Angeles), over the years, and I'm pleased to say I had NO problems,

with any of them. Other's experiences, may vary, however.

CB

Some also hate them because they move into a town and drive the local mom n' pops music shops out of business. That's the gist of it.

So they're the Wal-Mart of guitar stores huh? :)

the guitar center in indy and cincinnati suck big time. in a way, they are like a lot of gun stores- staffed by internet commandos who know (next to) nothing about the product they are selling. and like all comissioned salesmen, they often tell you what you want to hear in order to close the deal.

i understand the whole rural area thing, but there are way better dealers out there who can ship you a guitar....and far superior prices than Guitar Center (and yes i realize that GC occasionally runs a great sale/special. but as a general rule, their prices are not that great). you just have to do a little reseach.

For some' date=' a GC is the only Gibson dealer that is local. I bought my 339 from Musicians Friend (same Company) unseen and it was shipped to me and was perfect, even the setup was nearly dead on.

Some people live in rural areas and don't have a lot of options. A good guitar is a good guitar, who cares who sold it.[/quote']

Gospel.

GC in Nashville rocks.

Well let's see here. GC wanted nearly $3,100 for my Premium Plus Les Paul. I got it for $2,200 from the HOG. GC was selling a standard ES-339 for $2,000. Because of Gibson's crazy notion of only selling the standard ES-339 through certain vendors HOG wasn't able to get me one. But they were able to get me an ES-339 Figured Top, which goes for $3,250 at GC, for only $2,200. Gee, where do you think I get all of my stuff now?

They are pretty nice at GC but they don't know much about what they are selling. On the other hand when I talk to the Gibson salesman at the HOG he knows just as much as R9 (that's a lot!).

The last time I bought from GC I bought a used tele. When talking to the sales dude I mentioned that the color on the tag was wrong but he assured me it was correct even though I told him that those tele's didn't come in that color - he still insisted it was correct. Whateve dude.

Most of them are a bunch of idiots and refuse to admit they're wrong ~ it's part of their sales training (the customer is never right).

Yeah, the pricing thing, is a "newer" policy, than when I was dealing with them, in So Cal.

Back then, they would "bargain" a bit, and even price match, another store...if there was

something in writing, at least. Now...forget it, apparently. I haven't purchased anything

large, like and amp or new, higher priced guitar, since moving back, so I'm not positive

on that. But based on what I've read here, and other places, that seems to be the case?

Nowadays, E.M. Shorts, get's most of my guitar/amp business...and has, for several years,

now.

CB

Well, sometimes Guitar Center is a "Less Than Fun" experience. If you're prejudice against young people with piercings and tattoos, you may not like getting your Les Paul from them. However if you could care less about who the heck is fills out the sales receipt, your Les Paul will function as you expected, even though it was sold to you by a Cute Little female Bass Player with Tattoos and Piercings.

Now, if you want to get into Mom and Pop stores vs. Chain Stores, you'll get a big "Whatever" from me. I love to support Mom and Pop stores, but the bottom line is Gibson and Fender have already screwed the Mom and Pops, so I don't feel the need to be screw myself just to be fair to them.

But, you may like to know that this advice comes after a fair bit of drinking. As I am not very good at drinking, this advice should be taken with a Shaker of Salt. Lime Optional.

even though it was sold to you by a Cute Little female Bass Player with Tattoos and Piercings.

I'm on the next plane over to check that out.[blink]

I'm not a huge fan of their attitudes and stupid policy to let every jag off have a go at a 2000 dollar guitar. That being said there is no mom and pop in my area with the selection of guitars that GC has. I also pop in to check out the used equipment and have picked up some great stuff relatively cheap.

I still go to my local shop for strings and setups. The owner loves when I bring in one of my axes for some attention so I do still give them my business. In fact they just set up my strat this past week.

newguitars002-1.jpg

It's amazing how much you notice that Murph is sober now... He's so coherent... Just sayin'...

Buying stuff, I haven't really had too much of a problem. I bought my Studio from SamAsh (same sh¡t, different name just another big chain store) and I had been playing on one of the display models, and there were small wear marks on all three of them. Because I went here, and I read someone's thread (I think it was Damien Azrael) about how you can always ask for something from the back and they HAVE to give it to you. Got a brand new, in sealed box from Gibson, Les Paul. Action was decent, just very slight fret buzz.

I have seen many people buy a ton of amps, guitars, other expensive gear from them without a hitch. That being said, for my big purchases, I will probably be going to sweetwater.com because they have a great reputation as well as no sales tax and free shipping [biggrin]

Like others have said, if you want customer service, don't go there. If you want to mess around with a giant selection of guitars and amps, go there. That's what I use it for

It's amazing how much you notice that Murph is sober now... He's so coherent... Just sayin'...

Bwahahahahahaha..... Thanks' date=' Dave...... (I think)

[biggrin

1 month yesterday......

you can always ask for something from the back and they HAVE to give it to you.

WTF?

:-k[cool][-(

We're talking about Guitar Center - they don't HAVE to do anything....

I've personally witnessed missed sales over exactly what you decribe' date=' and I've been told myself that the

display piece on the floor was IT, and they would not be ordering anything in.

Oh, wait, we could find one in another store and ship it in for you - after you BUY IT....

When I bought my ES-335 in 2002, Guitar Center in Tempe had a beautiful one.

Except for the ding right in the middle of the back.

The flame Maple was beautiful, it played and sounded incredible.

Bizarre had the exact same guitar, for the same price - with no haggling. Just not as pretty.

I went back to Guitar Center to see if they would deal because of that single dent in the back.

Nope.

Those guitars are "really hard to get" so the price was very firm.

30 minutes later I was walking out of Bizarre with my new ES 335, and a new Fender Hot Rod DeVille amp.

I've spent twenty years watching their sh!t, and I've gotten to know many people who worked there.

I still go into Guitar Center to see what they have - we have FOUR of them in Phoenix.

You guys who still wonder what the big deal is, I hope one of two things for you when you buy from 'em.

You fully realize you're swimming with sharks paid on commission.

OR

You don't mind that prison sex/gang rape feeling in your butt as you leave.

If you want to mess around with a giant selection of guitars and amps' date=' go there.

That's what I use it for [/quote']

That's the ONLY reason to go there.

Not saying I would never buy another guitar from them, I've came close a few times since 2003.

The price was decent, the (used) guitar was in great shape, but it just wasn't a smoking deal.