Gibson Brands Forums

Best Jazz Guitar

Watermelon99

Brun...

Actually...

Stick-on or at least "paint" have been used for more than a few years to lessen feared feedback effects from semis and hollows... <grin>

What the heck, I remember when everybody was talking about stuffing various sorts of material into full or semi-hollows, or blocking the F-holes, to lessen feedback.

And it wasn't a joke at the time. <grin>

m

Epi's are great for the price, and their Semi/Fully Hollow Body's have a good reputation. You should try out their Joe Pass Models, ES-175's, and their Sheraton's. I've owned them all, and they are all a great value. But then again, it's what sounds best to YOU. I would recommend trying Ebay and Craigslist, sometimes you can find a great deal on a used Gibson.

Brun...

Actually...

Stick-on or at least "paint" have been used for more than a few years to lessen feared feedback effects from semis and hollows... <grin>

What the heck' date=' I remember when everybody was talking about stuffing various sorts of material into full or semi-hollows, or blocking the F-holes, to lessen feedback.

And it wasn't a joke at the time. <grin>

m

[/quote']

Sure, a la Gretsch. I was just having fun with the idea that jazz guys can be such conformists where it concerns their axes.

I dunno about the "conformist" thing.

A lot probably has to do with "feel" and what folks got used to.

For example, my 175 is not too much different from playing flat tops. It's actually more comfortable to me than any other guitar I own. So that's a pretty important part of liking/wanting a guitar. A seated position with a guitar includes kinda wrapping around the thing. That's harder to do with a Les or an SG than with a full-size guitar; the slim semi is somewhere in between. Then there's a matter of the neck and action. We all have our own feelings about that.

In fact, I tend to like the little foot stool as in playing classical guitar - but I did that a lot a long time ago, too.

So... I'm not sure the degree to which it's "conformist" and how much it's "this kinda guitar is most comfortable for how I play and how I hold the instrument."

m

Archived