Gibson Brands Forums

The banjo guy

Gilliangirl

Okay, I met the banjo guy (from Craigslist) for the first time this morning, over coffee at Starbucks. He's into Pete Seeger, Stan Rogers, etc. Seems like a nice guy. I think this will be fun. We're getting together this Saturday to practice Will The Circle Be Unbroken and Caleb Meyer in my music room. We've both had the same experiences with jam groups..... playing the same songs over and over again but never perfecting any of them. So we're going to learn a few songs really really well. I introduced him to Gillian and Dave and he's impressed.

Yay! I think it's going to be a great summer! 98152.gif98152.gif98152.gif

I introduced him to Gillian and Dave and he's impressed.

Don't forget to introduce him to your banjo mute as well Karen (It's called a sledgehammer and it is 100% effective on ALL brands of banjo).

I'm just kidding I love banjos and I hope you have a lot of fun!!

Tommy, now remember, you're only a wallflower because you're not in the neighbourhood. If you were in the neighbourhood, you'd be 'the belle of the ball' (so to speak [lol] )

KL, a banjo mute? If you could invent something like that they'd be beating a path to your door! [love]

OWF, wish you were here

Big Kahune, that is our goal! I sure hope it comes to fruition

Kermie, well wishes on the acoustic project. I had to advertise on Craigslist to find anybody in this town to play music with?? Where are all the music lovers? I'm grateful I've found someone with the same goals as me

GGirl.... make sure you google his name .... It can be amazing what you can find out about people using google.

Just make sure he isn't posted on any "Most Wanted" lists. Be sure you tell someone when he will be there and that you call after he leaves that you are OK.

Just want to make sure our GGirl is safe.... ;-)

Awww, thanks Stephen. I did google his name and his business came up, so he seems to be legit. I think he said he'd bring his girlfriend the first time we get together (she sings harmony) so it should be no problem. This is strictly a music project, but you're right.... one can never be too careful in today's world [lol]

Have fun GG!!!

New associations are always fun. I have been getting together with a Blues singer/harmonica player lately who fronts a local "electric" blues band. He wanted to get into some acoustic blues/gospel type stuff. It has been fun getting together and exploring songs.

Okay' date=' I met the banjo guy (from Craigslist) for the first time this morning, over coffee at Starbucks. He's into Pete Seeger, Stan Rogers, etc. Seems like a nice guy. I think this will be fun. We're getting together this Saturday to practice Will The Circle Be Unbroken and Caleb Meyer in my music room. We've both had the same experiences with jam groups..... playing the same songs over and over again but never perfecting any of them. So we're going to learn a few songs really really well. I introduced him to Gillian and Dave and he's impressed.

Yay! I think it's going to be a great summer! [img']http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/Gilliangirl/98152.gif[/img]98152.gif98152.gif

I'm envious.... I ALWAYS want to jam with someone...just never seem to have time......(damn this "work thing", interfering with my playing!

I always had trouble strikin' up conversation with g-g-g-g-irls...[blink]

Awww' date=' thanks Stephen. I did google his name and his business came up, so he seems to be legit. I think he said he'd bring his girlfriend the first time we get together (she sings harmony) so it should be no problem. This is strictly a music project, but you're right.... one can never be too careful in today's world [blink']

Yup... datin' ain't what it used to be. :-k

Kids today say they want privacy, but the post all their dirtiest laundry out where the whole world can see.... Moms and Dads? Are you listenin'?

so he seems to be legit. I think he said he'd bring his girlfriend the first time we get together (she sings harmony) so it should be no problem. ' date=' but you're right.... one can never be too careful in today's world [blink']

Bringing the girlfriend...HMMM..did you ever see "Gun Crazy", "Bonnie and Clyde", "Natural Born Killers", "Kalifornia"? Just to name a few.

Sorry...I just had to. Have fun.

BTW: Between you and the Banjo Guy and TommyK asking about fiddles, I might have to lose half my teeth and marry my cousin. Just so I can still fit in around here.

BTW: Between you and the Banjo Guy and TommyK asking about fiddles' date=' I might have to lose half my teeth and marry my cousin. Just so I can still fit in around here.[/quote']

The definition of a virgin in the Ozarks? An ugly 3-year old!

I sat in with a banjo player at a gig last year. I had a blast but probably because the guy did not play stuff I would expect to hear on a banjo. My two favorite songs of the night - Zevon's "Werewolves of London" and the Beatles "I've Just Seen a Face." I think that was the most fun I had ever had playing those old chestnuts.

But if you are going to play with a banjo player make sure you have your G, C and D chords and that boom-chick, boom chick rhythm thing down pat.

Have Fun

Karen...

I've got a mute for my banjo - a little metal jobbie that goes on the bridge. It's pretty much the same thing as a fiddle mute along those lines.

m

Lol! Read my post again . . . it was a joke!!!! (Did anyone get it?!!!!)

Well...

I just figured if you know as much about banjos as I do about fiddles in spite of the fact that I own a fiddle I know almost nothing about for upkeep... <grin>

(It was a gift. I tried to learn how to play it, but the cat kept vomiting on the living room carpet. When I got it, it already had a skull and crossbones painted on the back, too.)

m

Well...

I just figured if you know as much about banjos as I do about fiddles in spite of the fact that I own a fiddle I know almost nothing about for upkeep... <grin>

I like banjos really Milrod! They're cool.

Yup... banjos are fun.

Although I don't think I've had mine out of the case for several years now... I doubt I could even manage a bit of Foggy Mountain Breakdown any more with the picks or "old joe clark" frailin...

Hmmmm.

m

Archived